• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Holy Moly!

118 posts in this topic

Unbelieveable run of JIM's. Even I am going to bid on some of these, although not the books worth thousands. I have one book I'm really going to go after.

Some trivia about JIM #91 which most people here will know: it's the first Marvel comic to feature the Marvel logo box (12c) in the upper left-hand corner! acclaim.gif

Dan

Amazing books, particularly that JIM 91. Eides set some very reasonable reserves, given market prices for these books in these grades. Paging r100, paging r100...

The seller is the original owner. He had a great collection of Marvels. Has slowly sold it on eBay for the past year.

Brian

So those HG FFs that Eides was selling earlier this year were also from this collection? Was there any thought at all about getting pedigree designation for this collection, because based on the JIMs, this collection is very nice! The real question is where are the JIMs in the 80s?! Eides has listed a bunch of pre-hero JIMs, including a few 9.4s, and then the collection jumps to the 90s and up. Who got to them first, and how did the all-important JIM 80s grade?!

I haven't followed his auctions since he listed all his ASMs. But he's had to list books multiple times to get them sold (high reserves). So he may have sold the 80's at another point. I think I recall some publicity on these forums that he had an 83 up at one point, but not sure. His ASM run was VERY nice, but his prices were quite high. He had a nice run of FF's also. And a pretty nice run of STT books (between 8.5-9.4)

Brian

Amazing books, particularly that JIM 91. Eides set some very reasonable reserves, given market prices for these books in these grades. Paging r100, paging r100...

Unbelievable run of J.I.M.s, the finest J.I.M. run to ever be offered on Ebay by some distance. I need some of these books, but there will be far bigger hitters than me bidding on these babies. Even one or two of the BSD's who usually avoid Ebay may be lured in on these auctions.

Eides offered some J.I.M.s in the 80's several months back, however the only 9.4 was the #87 which Brent (QualityComix) purchased. I do not recall whether there was an #83 offered, if so it was an 8.0 or 8.5 at best.

From what I have heard of Eides' collection, these books do not qualify as a Pedigree because they are not all original owner copies. Apparently Eides would cherry pick the finest books from collections that were brought in to his store and keep them for his personal "vault". Each time a new collection came in he would compare the best books to his own copies, holding onto the highest graded copy for himself each time. If you consider he had a steady stream of quality material to choose from, and was upgrading from the late 1960's onwards you can see how he ended up with such unbelievable books.

I guess we are about to find out just how Supahot these J.I.M.s really are ! 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Was there any thought at all about getting pedigree designation for this collection,

The only way to get considered for a pedigree is for the original owner to get screwed out of them by a BSD.

gossip.gif

Was there any thought at all about getting pedigree designation for this collection,

The only way to get considered for a pedigree is for the original owner to get screwed out of them by a BSD.

gossip.gif

Very cynical! 893naughty-thumb.gif

But oh so true! tongue.gif Of course, if you ever talk to RR about the Pacific Coast books, he'll insist that he's the one that got screwed...

In addition to the Eides J.I.M.'s, there also a short Jason Ewert J.I.M. run plus another seller with a #99 in CGC 9.6 on Ebay !!! I don't recall ever seeing a #101 in 9.4 on Ebay and now there are two up concurrently ?! 893whatthe.gif

The heat on this title has been increasing for several years now, but a lot of recent publicity (from Supa's "Supahot" threads, to Doug dedicating this month's Market Report to the title on his new site) seems to really be smoking these puppies into the open.

One positive aspect to these books being on Ebay is that the phenomenal prices J.I.M.s have always sold for in private transactions will finally be reflected via GPA. If you looked there now, you'd barely know that any J.I.M.s had even sold in 9.4 ! This should hopefully help to cement this title a little more into the mainstream. thumbsup2.gif

Little known fact: #91 notoriously has an upper staple push much like Spider-Man #23. That and the fact it's a dark cover which shows all wear makes this one of the toughest early Marvels in high grade. The census numbers back this up. Even on this copy, you can see that the upper staple has some wear, although I can't tell whether the staple has been pushed in or not. My copy has this problem as well.

It's like Christmas for me right now, but the presents haven't arrived yet. I've never had the opportunity to acquire so many high grade JIMs all at the same time. 893applaud-thumb.gif

I think the best long term investment will be the JIM #112. Easily a 10K book retail in 3 or 4 years. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Good luck to all but stay away from the books I want! 27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif

J.I.M. #103 CGC 9.4:

10.2 x Guide and rising, with only 9 days and 3 hours to go. 893whatthe.gifpopcorn.gif

J.I.M. #104 CGC 9.6

22.5 x Guide and rising, also with 9 days and 3 hours to go. 893whatthe.gif893whatthe.gifpopcorn.gifpopcorn.gif

I was waiting to see back cover scans to see if these books fulfill my collecting criteria, but I'll tell them not to bother now. 27_laughing.gif

Brent - good luck buddy !