• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How Would You Respond to This? UPDATE - Seller Response

60 posts in this topic

Just the same as when I've received a book in the post, no protection,  just a plain envelope, and it ends up trashed.  You contact the seller and get the 'we ship books all over the world this way and never get any problems or complaints'.  Tiresome, patronising, fob off attitude.  Neg worthy.  

I got the exact same response from a seller who sent me a CGC comic in a comically un-padded envelope. I did manage to convince him to refund $11 for re-holdering. If I were the buyer in this case, I would remain polite and ask for either a return/refund or a partial refund to cover the costs of re-holdering. Basically you didn't get what you paid for, so you have every right to seek restitution.

I recently bought a cheap DC variant ($.99) and paid $5.35 for shipping. They

sent it in an envelope with no backing, no "fragile" and no "Do not bend" It

arrived bent envelope and bent comic. (Was at least a VF and now is about a VG.)

I just sent him an e-mail so it may be a while before he replies. It is clearly

too cheap to return. Were I to get a response like the ones above, I think

a neutral would be appropriate. (Were it to be an expensive book, I might do a neg.)

[i will add further information when the issue is resolved.]

Just the same as when I've received a book in the post, no protection,  just a plain envelope, and it ends up trashed.  You contact the seller and get the 'we ship books all over the world this way and never get any problems or complaints'.  Tiresome, patronising, fob off attitude.  Neg worthy.  

I got the exact same response from a seller who sent me a CGC comic in a comically un-padded envelope. I did manage to convince him to refund $11 for re-holdering. If I were the buyer in this case, I would remain polite and ask for either a return/refund or a partial refund to cover the costs of re-holdering. Basically you didn't get what you paid for, so you have every right to seek restitution.

I’m trying very hard to hold to this notion. At this point I would neg just to punish him for being a jerk-wod about this situation in its entirety, but I know it doesn't ultimately accomplish anything.

This is why I have to wait for my fury to die down before reacting. If he remains intractable about his d-baggery I’ll have no problem giving him a red dot in his feedback.

I recently bought a cheap DC variant ($.99) and paid $5.35 for shipping. They

sent it in an envelope with no backing, no "fragile" and no "Do not bend" It

arrived bent envelope and bent comic. (Was at least a VF and now is about a VG.)

The 'best' one I ever received was 'Please Mr. Postman, don't bend this comic!' written on a plain envelope.  The formerly NM book didn't survive the transit intact, of course.   There's a surprise.   :facepalm:

I think, but you'd have to look it up, that eBay requires insurance now...and the seller has to pay it, at least that's what I remember from a seller letter last year. I would

first ask politely to return it, using the ebay thread, so you have proof and when he says no, start a protest as not as described.

It's not, because it's cracked. You have nothing to lose, and eBay may step in.

Sorry about the poor packing...My worst one was getting a book in a cereal box and it must be one seller who has done that several times, because I don't think I'm the only one.

I’m trying very hard to hold to this notion. At this point I would neg just to punish him for being a jerk-wod about this situation in its entirety, but I know it doesn't ultimately accomplish anything.

This is why I have to wait for my fury to die down before reacting. If he remains intractable I’ll have no problem giving him a red dot in his feedback.

I concur. (thumbs u

I think, but you'd have to look it up, that eBay requires insurance now...and the seller has to pay it, at least that's what I remember from a seller letter last year. I would

first ask politely to return it, using the ebay thread, so you have proof and when he says no, start a protest as not as described.

Sorry about the poor packing...My worst one was getting a book in a cereal box and it must be one seller who has done that several times, because I don't think I'm the only one.

Count me on the list of people who have received their comic packaged in a cereal box.

Old school eBay. :cloud9:

I don't think eBay says sellers have to buy insurance. It's more than that, they say it's the seller's responsibility to get the item to the buyer as described.

Sellers should use insurance if it's expensive to cover themselves, because if it doesn't arrive as described, the buyer can make a claim.

I would expect a comic that I paid almost $200 for and $8 shipping would be properly packaged. Even then i would expect a more humble seller who wouldn't try and flip the blame on me for inadequate shipping when the seller determined the cost. I would neg him after that response no doubt about it.

By the way, my post from when I got a cracked slab due to lousy packaging. The seller was equally averse to taking responsibility, and actually wrote, "I am sorry the post office was not more careful," or something similar. You can see that the packaging was practically begging for the slab to end up damaged, although the seller claimed he had sent a hundred slabs that way without complaint.

Seller’s Reply:

“As a seller my choice was to list the item with an exorbitantly high shipping cost that would cover the most conservative shipping to package it with extreme measures of protection, and potentially limit interest from buyers due to the high shipping fee, or to list it with a shipping cost for a padded envelope which in my experience has been sufficient."

The seller sent this reply, huh? Seems to me he's asking for it...pre-eminent bad seller...

icon-Neg_16x16.jpg him...

it's $12 or less for a medium flat rate box. short of some USPS person running over it with a truck, you should be protected with that. why wouldn't he just use that as a shipping option. it's not that much more than the envelope.

This is why I have to wait for my fury to die down before reacting. If he remains intractable I’ll have no problem giving him a red dot in his feedback.

I concur. (thumbs u

Yep. You have to wait until the red mist lifts and then send a curt and professional email explaining the shortfall in the seller's service. If that doesn't work, there's ebay buyer protection and FB.

By the way, my post from when I got a cracked slab due to lousy packaging. The seller was equally averse to taking responsibility, and actually wrote, "I am sorry the post office was not more careful," or something similar. You can see that the packaging was practically begging for the slab to end up damaged, although the seller claimed he had sent a hundred slabs that way without complaint.

About six or seven years ago I won a GA book on ebay that the seller claimed was intact, and then arrived with the covers separated from the interior and each other. The book clearly had a brittle spine and had not been packed adequately.

When I explained the situation to the seller he exploded, blaming me for everything. After a calm and measured response explaining that he may have been in the wrong, I got a refund. The seller had good feedback with no negs. :tonofbricks:

What is amazing is that I get egged on as a seller... When I decided to break up a GI Joe collection I came into I advertised that every figure, no matter what will be sent boxed with no exceptions. If you do not agree with the shipping terms then do not bid.

For those that do not know, the 3 3/4" GI Joes were produced using brittle ABS plastic and when shaken or bounced, easily break or have their internal rubber bands snap or something like that.

Of course you get a few people that bid and refused to pay for priority shipping. They then try to negotiate and bully the seller into selling it using padded envelopes or even standard envelopes because they claim they are only buying it for parts anyway.

Outcome? They received their items in boxes or if I felt they were going to be a problem (since they already wanted to violate the terms of sale) their transaction was cancelled and they were blocked.

I am not saying that happens here, but there are plenty of people that cause problems on both sides of the fence. When I sell items, I like shipping boxed only.

Without his comments - Negative, 1 star and never bid again.

With his comments - Negative, 1 star, open a dispute with eBay "item not as described" and never bid again.

I make mistakes on eBay and I fix them. I don't cae if it's my fault or not, if someone bought from me and they're not happy, it's up to me to make them happy. I send bomb-proof, and it costs me, but I charge the bare minimum and eat the difference.

I wish others took as much pride in their efforts...

James