• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Another AF 15 Scam??

20 posts in this topic

Amazing Fantasy 15 scams seen to have become eBay's version of the Nigerian email scam.

This one seems to have escaped notice so far.

Here is the current listing that closes in 23 hours

http://www.ebay.com/itm/221046155950?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

The low feedback seller(34)has only sold four items - all Atari 2600 game system related. Though it is hard to know for certain, it doesn't look like there have been any comic related purchases.

Here is the original listing from August 2011. Seller is using the exact same pictures, the exact same description save two words (no "Nuff said")

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&_trksid=p4340.l2557&rt=nc&nma=true&item=200641087797+&si=zPFHw4OPvGq8nEmHXH2WSpPHB6Q%253D&viewitem=&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

I've emailed the seller asking for a picture to be sent to me - or posted up - of his holding the book along with a current newspaper or magazine. I said I was asking this because his listing was a word for word, picture for picture copy of an earlier sale of the book. Not heard back yet.

The seller does list local pick up, which is one fact against it being a scam.

This is a pedigree book. Does anyone know who is the current owner of the Dallas Stephens AF 15?

I was looking at this book too...

It is a shame because the scam artists are ruining it for legitimate sellers who may have gotten my business. Instead I am going to pay inflated convention prices to upgrade this book in order to make sure that I do not get ripped off.

I was looking at this book too...

It is a shame because the scam artists are ruining it for legitimate sellers who may have gotten my business. Instead I am going to pay inflated convention prices to upgrade this book in order to make sure that I do not get ripped off.

It's still possible to make purchases of big books on ebay. You either know who you are dealing with or only bid if they agree to use eBay's approved escrow service - escrow.com.

But when you see a book like AF15 with a seller that has a low feed back score and no prior comic purchases or sales, we just walk away.

I reported the listing as fradulent to eBay but they did not pull it. I sent the seller two emails and never got replys. I'll leave this listing in my watch list and see if there is ever feedback or it relisted.

I sent this schmuck three emails too, and no reply. and, he may actually have enough feedback as a seller that ebay won't hold the funds and he may end up getting $21K and dissapearing.......

Why ebay doesn't pull these listings (or atleast confront the seller with some questions) is BEYOND me! 99.9% chance the listing is fake, so by asking questions to sellers in these situations, only a 1 in 1000 chance of disturbing a legitamite seller.

Why oh why :o

Sometimes things work out. I received an email from ebay that this listing was cancelled:

We're writing to let you know that the following listing was removed and the item is no longer available:

221046155950 - Amazing Fantasy #15 CGC 6.5 Dallas Stephens Collection

The listing was removed because the item appears to have been listed without the account holder's permission

I had the listing on my watch list and it has now disappeared. Hopefully the winning bidder had not paid before getting this notice from ebay

I just happened to see my picture of my AF 15 and Spidey 1 (posted here on page 1 of the AF 15 club) used in an ebay listing. The seller is posting the pic, but the description is "grab-bag".

I told the seller to remove my pic. How mad should I be getting here?

I just happened to see my picture of my AF 15 and Spidey 1 (posted here on page 1 of the AF 15 club) used in an ebay listing. The seller is posting the pic, but the description is "grab-bag".

I told the seller to remove my pic. How mad should I be getting here?

Very, report the listing and link it here so we can report it also.

As I'm looking at the AF 15 listings, I think I see more boardie pictures. Another listing that says "grab-bag" uses a shot that looks like it's from our Comic Room thread.

(...trying to figger out how to post links...)

Why do people fall for these grab bag BS. I truly do not believe that each comic was pre-packaged including the keys and randomly shipped to the

buyer(s). I think that once the seller sells most if not all of his comics, then he would start shipping out the mega keys. I have yet to witness a grab bag where a key book was found early.

I did some research and found that the smaller pictures that he lifted were taken from the upcoming July 26-27 Heritage auctions. I have no problem admitting that I also reported him.

Why do people fall for these grab bag BS. I truly do not believe that each comic was pre-packaged including the keys and randomly shipped to the

buyer(s). I think that once the seller sells most if not all of his comics, then he would start shipping out the mega keys. I have yet to witness a grab bag where a key book was found early.

wanna call out the grab bag scammers? I always make an offer on ALL of the bags since that means I have a 100% chance to get all the keys mentioned... when they back down (cause yeah you'd rather send out 100 separate packages over the course of months than 1 large package once for the same amount...) you know its a scam.