• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Pawn Stars messes up big time

120 posts in this topic

For the record, here is the real 1st American edition...

a36-2811-0014a.jpg

And here is the 1927 reprint edition similar to the one shown on Pawn Stars (theirs did not have the dust-jacket). Note-- this seller is also under the delusion that this is a first edition... maybe he saw it on Pawn Stars before listing it for $2500?

809690249.jpg

I always wondered about that Signature Expert on Pawnstars. He carries around that big briefcase, but only pulls out that giant magnifying glass. Then he makes some statements about, "Look at the low G" or "This person has an unusual letter T." Why doesn't he whip out some examples? I'm sure they tell him in advance who the sig is?

Yet, I always watch the show.

How about a subject we know more about. On Comic Book Men in one episode they sold a Hulk 181 which was overgraded in around very good condition along with a midgrade GS 1 and Hulk 180 for $1600 and they totally ripped off the buyer.

Although I watch it occasionally, I've never been able to really get into PAWN STARS. There's just something about the folks running the place that rubs me a little bit the wrong way. I much prefer AMERICAN PICKERS & STORAGE WARS. Even though it's on the rare side that either one of them wind up coming across the types of things that I'm interested in, they have a habit of making the stuff that they do acquire interesting. Know what I mean?

They are certainly interesting concepts, and like I said, have the potential to get a lot more people interested in antiquities. It would just be nice, if they do screw up, to have a follow-up, or a disclaimer at the end..

"We apologize to our viewers about an error made in last month's episode. Our expert identified an item as an original Picasso oil painting from his Blue Period, and valued it at $20 million.

It turns out this was incorrect. The item was actually a reproduction of "Dogs Playing Poker" discovered when an old Motel-8 was torn down for a freeway.

We apologize for any confusion this may have caused, and being Vegas, our expert "wandered" into the desert and has not been seen since."

giggle.gif

Although I watch it occasionally, I've never been able to really get into PAWN STARS. There's just something about the folks running the place that rubs me a little bit the wrong way. I much prefer AMERICAN PICKERS & STORAGE WARS. Even though it's on the rare side that either one of them wind up coming across the types of things that I'm interested in, they have a habit of making the stuff that they do acquire interesting. Know what I mean?

American Pickers = vampires preying on poor, defenseless Senior citizens.

American Pickers = vampires preying on poor, defenseless Senior citizens who have barns and barns of junk and need to be on the show hoarders.

There, fixed that for you. (thumbs u

Next you'll tell us that Storage Wars is fake! :o

No. I have it on good authority that collections of rare coins and/or ivory really do turn up in about every third storage locker around the country!

:roflmao:

Pardon me if this has come up before, as it's not a new story. But I just saw a re-run of a Pawn Stars episode that really annoyed me when it first ran (last Fall, I think). This is the one where the guy is selling a signed Bram Stoker edition of Dracula.

They determine that it's not the true 1st edition (London... this copy is printed in NY... duh!). But they believe it's a 1st American edition (not even close... doesn't even remotely look like the American first). But they call in their signature "expert" (Dean Max, I think), who confirms that it's Bram Stoker's authentic signature (dated September 1897, the year of the 1st edition). He tells the crew that it's worth $5,000, and they offer accordingly.

Apparently this Max has a truly horrible reputation in the signature-collecting world, as a number of chat-board posts were listing a litany of errors he's been known to make in the past. A lot of posters were showing the difference in this signature from known Heritage Auction sales.

The rub is... none of that makes any difference.

(1) The signarure is dated September, 1897, four months after the London 1st edition apperared. However... this is an Americam edition. Even if it were the American 1st edition, that book didn't appear until 1899! Clue #1 this a fake!

(2) But it's not even an American 1st... it's the Country Life edition by Doubleday (we get a quick glimpse of the title page) published in 1927! What's more... this copy doesn't even have the dust-jacket. It's probably not worth $50. Clue #2 this a fake. Why? Bram Stoker died in 1912!

i just saw a similar episode. they bought a first print, first edition signed by bram stroker, but it wasn't a guy, but a lady that told them the info.

maybe there's another set of pickers doing that, but mike and frank sure aren't. they've even gone back and given a dude more money than they originally paid him because they undervalued an item they bought from him.

Next month on A and E !

PAWN STARS WRESTLING IN STORAGE WARS WITH THE WIVES OF BEVERLY HILLS !

What is referred to in Hollywood as high concept.

Simply put, a high concept screenplay is an idea that is easy to understand and has an appeal to a large target audience.

This fits the bill right ?

lol

Rick: " Chumlee ! Do a clothesline on that high maintenance chick and offer that guy 500 bucks for his T206 Honus Wagner !

What about the Real House Wives of New Jersey?

Neither real nor housewives.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! :cry:

lol

I guess they could call it "Potty mouth skanks of the tri state area"

oooh, I like it! Let's run that up the flagpole and see who salutes.

also, i met allen & ton from auction hunters at a storage auction that wasn't being filmed. it was hilarious how worried people got when they showed up. some people were asking for autographs. they were real cool. they bought 1 room that day for $400 and i noticed they were carrying a motor cycle frame to their van later, so i'm assuming they made a few grand off that room at least.

But they call in their signature "expert" (Dean Max, I think), who confirms that it's Bram Stoker's authentic signature (dated September 1897, the year of the 1st edition). He tells the crew that it's worth $5,000, and they offer accordingly.

Close - the guy's name is Drew Max.

I really enjoyed your breakdown of the book and the editions.

I used to collect old first editions. As a kid, my uncle gave me a first edition of Jack London's JOHN BARLEYCORN. A while later I heard a radio program where a well known Boston book dealer was explaining collectible books and taking listener calls. I started looking at my copy and was able to determine it was a first. So I started hitting used bookstores in search of more.

I was also introduced to the concept of "sleazeball dealer" for the first time.

I wouldn't say that at all. Most of the folks they buy from seem to know what they've got and usually haggle pretty aggressively.

I wish I had a 1st edition, just have this old version from 1932. I tried to google search another copy a few months back and I couldn't find another copy. Lots of other versions but I couldn't find this one?

Drac.jpg

I have a bunch of coverless Modern Library books I inherited from an aunt. They are reprints of classic books, etc. I am guessing that's what your Dracula is. I bet there are bigger book nerds out who know more about it than I though...

either way its a cool cover