• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Pawn Stars messes up big time

120 posts in this topic

I met Chumly and Rick at one of their traveling road shows. Tried to sell a vintage Cream of Wheat illustration I got from Heritage a while back. They wouldn't touch it with a 10 foot pole without documentation......

They didn't have a buddy that knows all there is to know about Cream of Wheat?

I'm floored.

22644899.jpg

If I want to watch something "not real", I'll opt for some good ol' BSG or Firefly. Fabricated "real life" stories are pretty lame.

If I want to watch something "not real", I'll opt for some good ol' BSG or Firefly. Fabricated "real life" stories are pretty lame.

It didn't seem to bother you when you told us all about your girlfriend "from Canada" back in high school. (tsk)

I met Chumly and Rick at one of their traveling road shows. Tried to sell a vintage Cream of Wheat illustration I got from Heritage a while back. They wouldn't touch it with a 10 foot pole without documentation......

They didn't have a buddy that knows all there is to know about Cream of Wheat?

I'm floored.

lol Yeah, they seem to have a lot of "buddies" on the show.

Sorry to revive this topic, but I think the people on Pawn Stars keep making ridiculous mistakes that make me scratch my head. I don't know if this has been discussed yet, but I haven't found anything on it.

Some guy bought a bunch of TMNT comics (original series and Adventures) from issue 3 and up. He wanted $1000 for the set, which is pretty high, of course, especially when considering resell. They ended up appraising for $300-400 which is about right. They offered $100 and he declined. The guy said he's going to grade them and sell them himself.

I had no problems with most of it until they started giving notes on TMNT being created by Eastman and Laird and made reference that TMNT was a parody based on three different stories: Daredevil, X-Men and Teenage Titans? Who are the Teenage Titans?

I keep thinking that this show needs a better researching staff.

Sorry to revive this topic, but I think the people on Pawn Stars keep making ridiculous mistakes that make me scratch my head. I don't know if this has been discussed yet, but I haven't found anything on it.

Some guy bought a bunch of TMNT comics (original series and Adventures) from issue 3 and up. He wanted $1000 for the set, which is pretty high, of course, especially when considering resell. They ended up appraising for $300-400 which is about right. They offered $100 and he declined. The guy said he's going to grade them and sell them himself.

I had no problems with most of it until they started giving notes on TMNT being created by Eastman and Laird and made reference that TMNT was a parody based on three different stories: Daredevil, X-Men and Teenage Titans? Who are the Teenage Titans?

I didn't get a close look, but it from a glance at the preview it looked like that #3 might have been the rare SDCC variant. Either way I doubt there "expert" would have known the difference.

Here is a picture of Wonder Woman #2 for sale at the Pawn Stars pawnshop I took when I was in Las Vegas last summer:

IMG_0101.jpg

It was there the year before when I was there. BTW, after seeing the pawnshop first hand, I was highly dissapointed...the camera angles are quite masterfully placed.

I didn't get a close look, but it from a glance at the preview it looked like that #3 might have been the rare SDCC variant. Either way I doubt there "expert" would have known the difference.

The variant is from NYCC, not SDCC. Either way, I saw the episode and it most definitely was not the variant. I looked. :)

Oh that's unfortunate! I actually own the book now. I wasn't aware that it had even been an item displayed on the show until after I bought it. It was displayed as a signed copy of Dracula (signature had been authenticated I was told). There was no mention of the books edition or anything. I'm no book expert, simply a Dracula fan. They wanted 1,500 for it, I paid 500. Looks like I got taken! I'm sure I'm not the first or last to lose on a gamble in Vegas though!

Oh that's unfortunate! I actually own the book now. I wasn't aware that it had even been an item displayed on the show until after I bought it. It was displayed as a signed copy of Dracula (signature had been authenticated I was told). There was no mention of the books edition or anything. I'm no book expert, simply a Dracula fan. They wanted 1,500 for it, I paid 500. Looks like I got taken! I'm sure I'm not the first or last to lose on a gamble in Vegas though!

I have to ask ... why on earth would you spend $500 on a collectible without doing just a little bit of research yourself beforehand?

I was told by my wife that their Pawn Shop doesn't really exist??? It's just a set and they bring in the public to look around to 'be on tv'. She wanted me to visit the shop when I was Vegas this year (no I didn't attend THAT con). It makes me wonder if everything is staged, or far more than they let on, at least.

Still a fun show and I always lol when I see their AF15 on the shelf, sitting there with no backboard. Did I say lol? I mean CRY.

Jerome

Impulse purchase. In hindsight it was foolish. I had never been to a pawn shop before and it really hadn't occurred to me that they would sell something that wasn't what it was advertised to be. I assumed it was on the up and up given that they had a television program and had a reputation to protect. Lesson learned.