• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Pawn Stars messes up big time

120 posts in this topic

American Pickers = vampires preying on poor, defenseless Senior citizens.

I wouldn't say that at all. Most of the folks they buy from seem to know what they've got and usually haggle pretty aggressively.

I actually think they pay too much. I would guess they pay 1/3 to 1/2 of the retail price on average which I think is pretty generous considering their travel expenses. And there is no guarantee they'll get their asking price when they do sell.

I would also suspect they sell some of their items on ebay or via other auctions sites. Factor in the possible 15 - 20% auction costs and the margins get pretty thin.

I wouldn't say that at all. Most of the folks they buy from seem to know what they've got and usually haggle pretty aggressively.

I actually think they pay too much. I would guess they pay 1/3 to 1/2 of the retail price on average which I think is pretty generous considering their travel expenses. And there is no guarantee they'll get their asking price when they do sell.

I would also suspect they sell some of their items on ebay or via other auctions sites. Factor in the possible 15 - 20% auction costs and the margins get pretty thin.

the VAST majority of their ebay sales are mike wolfe signed items. also, on the show, they sometimes show what they bought and sold and item for. and sometimes it just says what they paid and what they'll ask. also, i'm sure history channel funds them when the'yre airing

the VAST majority of their ebay sales are mike wolfe signed items. also, on the show, they sometimes show what they bought and sold and item for. and sometimes it just says what they paid and what they'll ask. also, i'm sure history channel funds them when the'yre airing

Makes sense. I would imagine they were doing this before the show was created and it was probably a tough, tough business. Now that they're TV stars I'm sure they're well on the way to fame and fortune, and what they buy and sell these items for is immaterial.

I wish I had a 1st edition, just have this old version from 1932. I tried to google search another copy a few months back and I couldn't find another copy. Lots of other versions but I couldn't find this one?

Drac.jpg

This exact copy is pictured in an article about Dracula 1st editions online. Is it your article... or did you post a picture of your book and someone just used it as a reference?

Modern Library editions are interesting little books and were often reprinted for decades. The article says a fine copy Modern Library First Edition went for just under $450 at auction... and this is an accompanying picture... but it doesn't state if THIS copy is a first edition.

Nevertheless, from the artwork, it is early... probably from the 1930s (The ML First is from 1932).

There are people out there who specialize in just collecting Modern Library editions, and many early versions have neat art on the dust-jackets.

Not my article although I did buy it from Heritage this February. Here is the auction write up:

Dracula by Bram Stoker, Vintage Edition (Modern Library, 1932). Hard cover edition, released a year after the classic Tod Browning film starring Bela Lugosi. In very good condition with some wear and spots of fading to the cover; dust jacket has pieces out of the tail of the spine and top corners, a small separation at the head of the spine, and some tanning along the spine. A nice copy with solid binding. From the Jack and Julie Juka Collection.

Not my article although I did buy it from Heritage this February. Here is the auction write up:

Dracula by Bram Stoker, Vintage Edition (Modern Library, 1932). Hard cover edition, released a year after the classic Tod Browning film starring Bela Lugosi. In very good condition with some wear and spots of fading to the cover; dust jacket has pieces out of the tail of the spine and top corners, a small separation at the head of the spine, and some tanning along the spine. A nice copy with solid binding. From the Jack and Julie Juka Collection.

!!! Jack Juka used to be a PulpCon attendee (still is maybe?)... he came into my shop a couple of times a few years ago.

Sounds like this is the first ML edition... and a good item!

But they call in their signature "expert" (Dean Max, I think), who confirms that it's Bram Stoker's authentic signature (dated September 1897, the year of the 1st edition). He tells the crew that it's worth $5,000, and they offer accordingly.

Apparently this Max has a truly horrible reputation in the signature-collecting world, as a number of chat-board posts were listing a litany of errors he's been known to make in the past. A lot of posters were showing the difference in this signature from known Heritage Auction sales.

Drew Max / AAU is the PGX of the autograph hobby.

'Nuff said.

On a show like Pawn Stars.... How much money does the store/owner make from the show itself?

Lots. Bet this show has more viewers than many of the mainstream network shows. I would also suspect the pawn shop itself sells far more stuff than it did b4 the show as it is a Vegas tourist attraction and everyone wants to take home a souvenir.

Pawn stars is fake. They likely don't handle rare books in real life. Made it all up for the show. Stolen jewelry, instruments, and electronics likely make up the bulk of their real life business. I know they flat out faked a purchase and sale of a car on that show, I think others here have reported them faking collectible purchase and sales. I bet if you came in there with a real first edition with sig they would turn you away, or try to offer you $100 for it

Initially its probably close to nothing. I'm sure now that its successful they probably take in 30k an episode?
I know some people who are in a club that tried to have a reality show. They filmed the entire season before they shopped it around. It never got picked up but if it had they would have all gotten paid. I don't know how much. Enough to make fools of themselves on national television I guess.

I can tell you that on the first season of Storage Wars, they all received $8000 an episode (estimated). By season two, as ratings rose, so did their earnings. It has gotten to the point that they do need to be concerned about what is in a storage unit they buy. They make so much from salaries, promotions, and other royalties.

I can tell you that Barry Weiss was extremely active as a high end collector before he appeared on tne show. He also amassed a fortune in the 'produce' business. Sadly, a lot of misinformed viewers think his wealth came from the storage auction business. Nothing could be farther from the truth. He knew the producer, that is how he was chosen.

By the way, where was everyone when I was arguing my point about how these shows were bad for the antiques and collectibles trade? While it is true they raise awareness to antiques and collectibles as a whole; these shows also set unreasonably high expectations. Most people on these forums know I am highly active in the business of 'picking' and dealing any kind of antique and collectible. That being said, thanks in part to these kind of shows; every weekend you see a new 'clueless' set of 'pickers' out and about attempting to think they are going to strike it rich. They don't understand the business, have no patience or willingness to learn, and almost always pay way too much for items that will never sell.

It is sad really. I watch these shows for entertainment, ironically, people now believe that every 'picker' or pawn shop is supposed to call in an expert to value and appraise their item. I am sorry, but I cannot buy and sell it. Knowledge and price are the seller's responsibility!

Respectfully,

'mint'

I read online that Barry Weiss lives next door to Natalie Portman. ^^

That lucky SOB.

Poor SOB actually...

Imagine living next to this and not being able to touch or do anything with her.

The Ultimate c0ck tease

038.jpg

Pawn stars is fake. They likely don't handle rare books in real life. Made it all up for the show. Stolen jewelry, instruments, and electronics likely make up the bulk of their real life business. I know they flat out faked a purchase and sale of a car on that show, I think others here have reported them faking collectible purchase and sales. I bet if you came in there with a real first edition with sig they would turn you away, or try to offer you $100 for it

674.jpg