• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Pawn Stars messes up big time

120 posts in this topic

I actually think they pay too much. I would guess they pay 1/3 to 1/2 of the retail price on average which I think is pretty generous considering their travel expenses. And there is no guarantee they'll get their asking price when they do sell.

They probably do pay too much, but I've heard GAtor talk about how razor thin some of his margins are on some of his inventory on these very boards.

I think Mike and Frank are pretty genuine. I don't think the show would have the charm that it does if they were buying stuff at ridiculously low prices and then reselling for 100x what they paid.

As to them getting paid, I'm sure they're getting advertising revenues out of the yin-yang. There was an easy to spot advertisement for Marathon gas stations in the episode last night when they stopped for gas.

I've always wondered how their business is handled. It seems like Mike and Frank both have different pots of money.

There was a mass Silver buy in an episode (something like 300lbs) and they paid about $32 per ounce or $1 off the spot price(?)

Many people think that it was their OWN silver (as the father hoards Silver) and that it was a pretense to have it minted into Pawn Stars silver rounds (1 Troy Ounce) which they now sell for $64.99

They've sold over 800 of them.(I only looked at three old auctions... so there are probably more.)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Pawn-Stars-Old-Man-71st-Birthday-Silver-Round-1-Troy-Ounce-999-Fine-Silver-Coin-/221050716174?pt=Bullion_US&hash=item3377a6400e

(The Initial Minting of 500 Coins As Stated On The Show Were A Personal Gift To The Old Man. The Coins For Sale Here Are Not Part Of That 500. )

Not my article although I did buy it from Heritage this February. Here is the auction write up:

Dracula by Bram Stoker, Vintage Edition (Modern Library, 1932). Hard cover edition, released a year after the classic Tod Browning film starring Bela Lugosi. In very good condition with some wear and spots of fading to the cover; dust jacket has pieces out of the tail of the spine and top corners, a small separation at the head of the spine, and some tanning along the spine. A nice copy with solid binding. From the Jack and Julie Juka Collection.

!!! Jack Juka used to be a PulpCon attendee (still is maybe?)... he came into my shop a couple of times a few years ago.

Sounds like this is the first ML edition... and a good item!

Its available, just saying. :whistle:

Did anyone ever see the episode when a guy brought in a ASM #1. The guy said his brother in law who is a comic collector gave it to him as a wedding present and said he wanted to cash it in. I would be fine with it exept they said so many things that aren't really thought of as bad in our collecting world, but turned it into being horrible to do.

First Corey (Big Hoss) said that the first thing he did wrong was that he didn't get it graded, i'm thinking that all because its not graded by cgc dosen't mean it takes awy from its value.

Second he messes up the grading system by saying it could range from 1.0 to a 5.0, or a 9.5, to a 10. I've only collected cgc's for a few years now but i never heard of 9.5 have you guys? No of course cause it dosen't exist.

Third all because there's two small letters on the cover he says value is dicreased even though i think cgc dosen't grade against that thing since there are pedigree collections that are identified with writing such as the china town collection that has the original owners name on it in chinese.

Last the so called expert they called in was the guy that they call in for toys who I think isnt even able to be an expert on comics and graded it as Fine saying its worth 7000K while not even taking that much time to look at the book to grade. He also agreed with with Corie about the faults the comics has even though there not really even faults. The guy got 4K for it in the end.

Hers a picture of it s-PAWN-STARS-SPIDERMAN-120116-large.jpg

Second he messes up the grading system by saying it could range from 1.0 to a 5.0, or a 9.5, to a 10. I've only collected cgc's for a few years now but i never heard of 9.5 have you guys? No of course cause it dosen't exist.

Wizard First (red and white)

No longer in use, originally used by CGC/Wizard Magazine as a new type of slabbed collectible. Only 3 grades were given to comics submitted by Wizard directly to CGC: 9.0, 9.5, and 10.0. This is the only time CGC has ever used the grade "9.5".

!Bz%295UvQ!2k~$%28KGrHqMOKm4Ew980kid2BM%28jidSVK!~~_3.JPG

Wizard First (red and white)

No longer in use, originally used by CGC/Wizard Magazine as a new type of slabbed collectible. Only 3 grades were given to comics submitted by Wizard directly to CGC: 9.0, 9.5, and 10.0. This is the only time CGC has ever used the grade "9.5".

!Bz%295UvQ!2k~$%28KGrHqMOKm4Ew980kid2BM%28jidSVK!~~_3.JPG

Learn something new everyday here, my bad. Now I feel deep shame...

I met Chumly and Rick at one of their traveling road shows. Tried to sell a vintage Cream of Wheat illustration I got from Heritage a while back. They wouldn't touch it with a 10 foot pole without documentation......

I met Chumly and Rick at one of their traveling road shows. Tried to sell a vintage Cream of Wheat illustration I got from Heritage a while back. They wouldn't touch it with a 10 foot pole without documentation......

They didn't have a buddy that knows all there is to know about Cream of Wheat?

I'm floored.

Do you ever think that all of this a set up, made up by the company to get people hooked into watching the show?

On Pawn Stars, sadly, this appears to be the case. There are lots of online reports that much of the stuff you see is arranged and brought in by people they already know. I wouldn't care so much if they had a disclaimer along the lines of "certain scenes are recreations of prior deals or similar buys made at the shop", as just seeing some of the items is interesting enough by itself. But then again... if you can't trust even the data they give you about the items...

From what I've read online, Storage Wars is a little more legit. Though obviously, on the filmed auctions they must have most of them as invitation-only, and there may even be rules about letting the "stars" only bid on certain lockers. Notice how it's rare for one of the stars to win more than one auction? They usually divide them up so they can have the "competition" at the end to see who won.

I suspect the storage locker owners have an idea when there is some good stuff in some lockers, and may tip off the show's producers. There may be a lot of stuff filmed that doesn't get used as well. Actually... when you really analyze what they are buying... most of it really is junk. The average person doesn't own a junk shop in which to sell stuff like most of their stars... and would have no real means of moving most of the items they show.

Moreover, they way inflate values for purposes of their "competition", and they act as if a "list value" is as good as actually being sold. In one episode they pick up something like 200 used CDs and claim they can get $3 apiece for them... so that's $600! Even at $3 each, you'd be lucky to actually sell more than 10 or 20 CDs out of any such random lot... and that's assuming they're not damaged or un-playable.

Actually I think storage wars has said its a recreation of the biggest finds.

I actually like Auction Hunters. They travel all over the country, they have a disclaimer at the start of every show that this is there best finds of the year, and what they find, they actually sell on the show.

Who knows if it is true, but pretty cool to watch.