• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Pawn Stars messes up big time

120 posts in this topic

I wonder if this misrepresentation was brought to their attention and that someone paid $500 for essentially a fake item, if they would attempt to make it right.

Chances are, the buyer's signature is on something that sales "all sales final", etc. - but with something that glaring with a little honest research just MAYBE they would save face when their name is so large.

Doubtful, but personally if I blew $500 and found out it was fake, I'd probably give it a shot.

Impulse purchase. In hindsight it was foolish. I had never been to a pawn shop before and it really hadn't occurred to me that they would sell something that wasn't what it was advertised to be. I assumed it was on the up and up given that they had a television program and had a reputation to protect. Lesson learned.

:thumbsup:

Sorry you got suckered like this.

my brother-in-law has been to the actual Pawn Stars location and said it's nothing like the show. The actual shop looks totally different, none of the people on the show are there, etc.

totally made for TV... all these shows are - It's hard to watch them.

Antique Roadshow... now that's where it's at (maybe)

my brother-in-law has been to the actual Pawn Stars location and said it's nothing like the show. The actual shop looks totally different, none of the people on the show are there, etc.

When even that goofball Chumlee makes 25k an episode, I'm sure it's not really worth it for them to have a 9 to 5 job anymore. Plus, it's probably a nightmare to conduct any business when 200 tourists are trying to take your picture every minute the shop is open.

I was there in 2010 when the show was still pretty new. Even then, no one from the show was in there. I was really amazed at how small the place is compared to what it looks like on TV. I didn't see much cool stuff like what people bring in on the show either; mostly just silver, jewelry, and their own Pawn Stars merchandise. I enjoyed the walk there (although much further from the main drag than I had originally thought) than I did in the shop.

I was there in 2010 when the show was still pretty new. Even then, no one from the show was in there. I was really amazed at how small the place is compared to what it looks like on TV. I didn't see much cool stuff like what people bring in on the show either; mostly just silver, jewelry, and their own Pawn Stars merchandise. I enjoyed the walk there (although much further from the main drag than I had originally thought) than I did in the shop.

cameras are pretty awesome at distorting images so that our perception of depth is questioned.

realtors have this down too.

cameras are pretty awesome at distorting images so that our perception of depth is questioned.

realtors have this down too.

They also use special model home furniture that is smaller than normal to make the space look larger.

When even that goofball Chumlee makes 25k an episode, I'm sure it's not really worth it for them to have a 9 to 5 job anymore. Plus, it's probably a nightmare to conduct any business when 200 tourists are trying to take your picture every minute the shop is open.

Does he really make that much?

something isn't right here!

I visited in June, 2010 for about 30 mins. The "stars" were taking turns visiting with the tourists and taking photos. I met the Old Man and Cory but didn't really talk to them. They both seemed exactly like how they are on TV. This was before Cory lost a ton of weight.

The shop's size was no bigger than what the cameras show. I've been to local pawn shops with 5x the size of showroom space easy. Other than the show I think a large chunk of their income is from temporary storage of other people's toys (jet skis, boats, stuff like that).

I'm surprised they give people as much as they appear to on TV. I was in a pawn shop in Arizona once when the owner was talking about how he ran his business. He basically said that because of the difficulty of turning merchandise over, the only way he could turn a profit was by only lending people 10% of retail on pawned items. (This was in the days before the Internet.)

I see that on Pawn Stars they offer people much more than 10%, but I think that's only because the show features only uber-cool items that will move relatively quickly.

Oh that's unfortunate! I actually own the book now. I wasn't aware that it had even been an item displayed on the show until after I bought it. It was displayed as a signed copy of Dracula (signature had been authenticated I was told). There was no mention of the books edition or anything. I'm no book expert, simply a Dracula fan. They wanted 1,500 for it, I paid 500. Looks like I got taken! I'm sure I'm not the first or last to lose on a gamble in Vegas though!

$500 isn't that bad. Now it has value since it's been on the show! Get that Rebecca Romney to evaluate it. That would be cool.

I'm surprised they give people as much as they appear to on TV. I was in a pawn shop in Arizona once when the owner was talking about how he ran his business. He basically said that because of the difficulty of turning merchandise over, the only way he could turn a profit was by only lending people 10% of retail on pawned items. (This was in the days before the Internet.)

I see that on Pawn Stars they offer people much more than 10%, but I think that's only because the show features only uber-cool items that will move relatively quickly.

There is a lot of information on the net (bonjour!) - about the buy/sell realty shows.

Majority (if not all) are a LOT more staged than one would think. Sure - they are "negotiating" on the camera - but the price is usually already determined off camera and may not even be the actual price said on the show.

If you believe the "podcast" talk - one of the few that are not fully staged is comic book men - where the producers line up items to be looked at - but do not tell the staff what they are.

I believe a couple of boardies have been on each (one on pawn stars and one on CBM ) - they may be able to comment more on the whole process.

Most pawn shops pay more to buy than for a pawn - as they can flip right away ( after a hold period) - pawning involves loans interest and a lot longer time frame.

http://www.bankrate.com/finance/personal-finance/get-best-price-at-pawnshops.aspx

There is a lot of information on the net (bonjour!) - about the buy/sell realty shows.

Majority (if not all) are a LOT more staged than one would think. Sure - they are "negotiating" on the camera - but the price is usually already determined off camera and may not even be the actual price said on the show.

If you believe the "podcast" talk - one of the few that are not fully staged is comic book men - where the producers line up items to be looked at - but do not tell the staff what they are.

I believe a couple of boardies have been on each (one on pawn stars and one on CBM ) - they may be able to comment more on the whole process.

Most pawn shops pay more to buy than for a pawn - as they can flip right away ( after a hold period) - pawning involves loans interest and a lot longer time frame.

http://www.bankrate.com/finance/personal-finance/get-best-price-at-pawnshops.aspx

Baltimore Lauren was on Comic book men

I have been in talks with Pawn Stars to appear on an upcoming show...Paul L. was kind enough to recommend me, and we have been going back and forth on potential opportunities. They seem genuinely interested in obtaining screen time for high profile comics and memorabilia

CBM-the show where something happens in 5 minutes then they talk about it for 10.

Then they talk about talking about it.

I have been in talks with Pawn Stars to appear on an upcoming show...Paul L. was kind enough to recommend me, and we have been going back and forth on potential opportunities. They seem genuinely interested in obtaining screen time for high profile comics and memorabilia

That's awesome!

:applause: