• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

"We need to price this" .. a dollar bin warmer for months

54 posts in this topic

Did you know a lot of Caddyshack was filmed in Davie, Florida?

Yeah, you can throw a baseball from my porch to the golf course they used. A kid and his sister that I and my wife went to high school with were two of the kids in the pool that they guy jumps in the middle of during "caddie day" at the pool (thumbs u

Someone told me my LCS owner doesn't price his back issues. Just puts the unsorted boxes on a table. Grab what you like and bring it to the front. A bit of a bummer when you find out he wants some ridiculous price for something.

Someone told me my LCS owner doesn't price his back issues. Just puts the unsorted boxes on a table. Grab what you like and bring it to the front. A bit of a bummer when you find out he wants some ridiculous price for something.

Nothing, and i mean NOTHING, makes my OCD crazier than unpriced books. I HATE that!!! :frustrated:

A lot of times, i have no interest at all in a book unless it is priced right. I dont want to sit there and ask what the price of a thousand and 1 books are, especially if i'm probably not going to buy them.

Please, for the sake of my poor OCD, put a price sticker on the front of a book that can be read from however far you're going to make people stand from your books :foryou:

My old LCS back in Eugene would purposely 'salt' the quarter boxes with expensive treasure. This would encourage customers to rifle through the boxes, and possibly pick up some additional junk. And it also created a lot of goodwill with the customer base.

A "Loss Leader" strategy like that seems a really smart way to get customers in to a LCS, plus have them return repeatedly. They have to show up to get "lucky".

Just going would be fun since you wouldn't know what any given trip might yield.

Not to do a "shameless plug", but I do that on my selling site. I recently put up NM copies of Watchmen #1 and #2 for 50 cents. Also, X-Men titles, Spiderman,etc. It works what you are saying. People keep coming back for my good stuff and take some of the drek as well.

My old LCS back in Eugene would purposely 'salt' the quarter boxes with expensive treasure. This would encourage customers to rifle through the boxes, and possibly pick up some additional junk. And it also created a lot of goodwill with the customer base.

A "Loss Leader" strategy like that seems a really smart way to get customers in to a LCS, plus have them return repeatedly. They have to show up to get "lucky".

Just going would be fun since you wouldn't know what any given trip might yield.

Not to do a "shameless plug", but I do that on my selling site. I recently put up NM copies of Watchmen #1and number # for 50 cents. Also, X-Men titles, Spiderman,etc. It works what you are saying. People keep coming back for my good stuff and take some of the drek as well.

I know of a shop that has some low priced treasures to be found. The place is a mess and tough to navigate though, but I've gotten good deals there. I don't have an excuse to get out that way anymore though so I don't know if I'll ever return.

Had another little run in with pricing today at the shop. Found some back issue Defenders (issues within #80-#89) in the dollar boxes. This time he whipped out his fancy paperback overstreet, priced them, rung them up as if I'm fine with paying more than a dollar. Told him I don't want it. He doesn't excuse himself, takes forever to find the prices. I never hear him do this to other people. Turns out the prices were $6 each. These issues are far from VF/NM. Typical reader issues.

What would you say to him? For some reason I feel like blowing up on him, but always hold back because I'm better than that. Its getting really annoying. I could just refuse to buy from there, but I'd be left without a LCS to shop at. Sorry if I sound cheap for not wanting to pay up, but I pick out these issues because the are only a dollar.

Had another little run in with pricing today at the shop. Found some back issue Defenders (issues within #80-#89) in the dollar boxes. This time he whipped out his fancy paperback overstreet, priced them, rung them up as if I'm fine with paying more than a dollar. Told him I don't want it. He doesn't excuse himself, takes forever to find the prices. I never hear him do this to other people. Turns out the prices were $6 each. These issues are far from VF/NM. Typical reader issues.

What would you say to him? For some reason I feel like blowing up on him, but always hold back because I'm better than that. Its getting really annoying. I could just refuse to buy from there, but I'd be left without a LCS to shop at. Sorry if I sound cheap for not wanting to pay up, but I pick out these issues because the are only a dollar.

You say, "You know what, I'm going to eBay." If you want reader copies, buy collections, read what you want, pass it along by selling it again in giant lots.

Subscription services all work.

if they were in the $1 box and he wanted $6 a pop, you should have left them on the counter and walked out.

if they were in the $1 box and he wanted $6 a pop, you should have left them on the counter and walked out.

+1 billion

I would ask: "If you want $6 each for these, why are they in the $1 bin."

You would hope he would ask himself: "Do I want to squeeze every buck out of this sale or do I want to make a repeat customer happy?" But apparently not.