• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Heroes Con 2012 and a pile of good ol' musty books!

22 posts in this topic

Another Heroes Con has passed and another drudge back into the work force.

But it was awesome while it lasted!

Met some great boardees and found a way to recover after the PR nightmare

of the Stan Lee event.

[cheeseball rant that nobody really cares about enclosed]

I know Desert Wind is going to come on here and defend it's participation and I don't know if it was them or Shelton's Crew but wow the communication on this event was very sparing to say the least...

I had a lot of people tell me that the DW version of this Stan Lee Experience was what I was looking for AFTER I bought the Heroes version. Unfortunately my crystal ball didn't square me away on this or I would've chosen the other.

I put the work in to get: my word in edgewise to Stan, my photo and my sigs. Whew!

But regardless all these issues were handled by ice cold beer, no mater what frustrations the Excelsior pass gave me.

o.k. back to the review...

First off Stan Lee IS the man, I don't care how nuts his event handling is.

"Stan Lee you wanna Cracker???" YEEEEEEE HAW!!!

The meet and greet cocktail party was at the "Heroes" Charlotte LCS:

127627.jpg

127628.jpg

127630.jpg

The dinner was a success after I picked up the bumble and rescheduled.

The plan was originally 30 folks but we did well with the 14 people that were able to readjust.

The burger I had was a 8.5 out of 10! Not bad at all!

127626.jpg

The after party was righteous as always!

You gotta luv the cat!...

127631.jpg

127633.jpg

127634.jpg

127635.jpg

127636.jpg

127637.jpg

127638.jpg

127642.jpg

127643.jpg

127644.jpg

127645.jpg

Let's get 'em signed!

127646.jpg

127647.jpg

The Bounty! (I'm Neal Adams ridiculous right now)

127649.jpg

127648.jpg

'nuff said!

Have to agree with the cheeseball rant. By the end of it all, there were multiple options to get autograph tickets and photographs. Lots of people were confused about the difference in a 'fast pass' and VIP status. I paid $55 plus the $20 fast pass. Got to the staging room at 3:15 Saturday and we were in the turnstiles for Stan a little after 3:30. There were still VIPs waiting for autographs. Had my autograph by 4:15. Had completed all of my CGC paperwork with DWC on Friday, so all I had to do was drop off my book. I avoided the chaos in that corner as much as possible. Stan is a signing machine.

I honestly thought the VIP lines for Stan were longer and more chaotic than the lines for those folks who just bought an autograph ticket before or during the show. There were probably 40 of us with Fast Passes and maybe double that with general signing tickets behind us. When we were done, Stan was off to his panel. Actually had a good time in the autograph line. Was fun looking and comparing what everyone was getting signed.

I heard some dealers on the back aisle where the concession stand was complaining of the congestion caused by Stan's autograph line blocking their booths. Spoke to GAtor one aisle over and he said he didn't really notice the congestion.

Anyone catch the story on the girl who had Stan sign her shoulder and afterwards went to have it tattooed on?

Thanks again for organizing the dinner Wally even though it had to move to Sat was still lots of fun

Just wish me and the wife didn't get sick Sunday. Not sure if it was dinner Saturday or a virus but wow we don't want to go thru that again.

Just wish me and the wife didn't get sick Sunday. Not sure if it was dinner Saturday or a virus but wow we don't want to go thru that again.

dang brother, that's sad news.

well, I know it wasn't the appetizers because I was 100% fine.

I hope you guys are feeling better.

Nice! Nothing beats having a leather-clad assistant to help you cruise through a convention!

Why thank you... It was a lot of fun to go around the convention dressed up as Catwoman. There was no contest but it was still a lot of fun and I got to hang out with lots of cool peeps!

Thanks for the report and videos Wally. Looks like you had a great time.

Were there many back issue dealers and how was the overall selection.

cool, yeah it was fun.

The dealers were there, but you had to work for a good deal. I have noticed on the years that Neal is there the BA DC books that I like are priced rather aggressively.

Earl had some sweet deal bins, but by the time I fixed all the event issues there was smoke coming off those boxes.

It's kind of funny but one of the pix that that 2penny snapped of me was right after a frustrating moment and my hair looked like it was ruffed up.

I was at a dealers booth and finally found a set of decent priced BA DC and gathered up a huge stack of sweet deep rich covers only to be told that these were a one owner set where the owner penned a sharpie line on the bottom of every copy. It was good that he said something, but it would've been nice if he said something earlier and not 45 minutes into the hunt.

:insane: