• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A Simple Discussion on Walking Dead Original Art Prices

706 posts in this topic

There was a page from issue 46 that sold here on the boards a few days ago, but I didn't get a chance to see what it sold for. Anyone know? It was pg 13, right before the Gov starts hacking away.

Joe S had it priced at $1100 + shipping and I figured it would sell very quickly at that price. Not too many Governor action pages, especially with a sword and several prominent characters. I'm not into the smaller art pages but that was a great example.

There was a page from issue 46 that sold here on the boards a few days ago, but I didn't get a chance to see what it sold for. Anyone know? It was pg 13, right before the Gov starts hacking away.

Joe S had it priced at $1100 + shipping and I figured it would sell very quickly at that price. Not too many Governor action pages, especially with a sword and several prominent characters. I'm not into the smaller art pages but that was a great example.

I got the info from a few other people already, but thank you. :)

It was a great example. Not too many Governor pages in the market period, let alone action ones.

Definitely some nice pages that have been sold at a reasonable price. The TWD OA market is still an interesting one to watch both on the secondary market and at source as more and more gets published. Next month it's going to be very close to 700 pieces on offer at source... the better stuff still gets snapped up, just wish that it was still all done on one board (personal preference) as the artwork is a lot stronger now than it has been at times. As a relatively recent collector it's a little bit of an education seeing where this all goes from start to wherever it ends up, especially seeing as this is a comic in triple digits which is almost unheard of in 2016 ;)

The two boards stink........... I wish they could go back to one. I'm liking the art but two bords is a downer :sorry:

I actually like the 2 boards because it gives the best of both worlds, the original pencils and the original inks, revealing the actual art process and the inked version is the final version, yet done over bluelines, where the original pencils are retained separately. It's like a 2 for 1 to me :)

I agree with everyone here, I'm liking the art more but hate the two boards. To be honest, it would have to be the coolest page ever for me to buy a latter run page on two boards. There's already so much artwork out there from 100+ issues on one board that I'll just stick with pages from that era.

I'm a fan of the process of two boards, but as a collector I agree with James.

The one aspect of the 2 boards offers that might be a future unfortunate situation is when the pairs are separated and art owners decide to split them up and sell them individually or keep one and sell the other, so there will be unmatched pairs floating around, probably causing further debate to the valuation of "inks over blueline" vs "original pencils"... but at the end of the day, the owner of the art can do whatever they want... I remember many people in the 1980's had Steve Oliff hand color their B&W original art pages, with probable marketplace value hindsight regret.

I'm a fan of the process of two boards, but as a collector I agree with James.

The one aspect of the 2 boards offers that might be a future unfortunate situation is when the pairs are separated and art owners decide to split them up and sell them individually or keep one and sell the other, so there will be unmatched pairs floating around, probably causing further debate to the valuation of "inks over blueline" vs "original pencils"... but at the end of the day, the owner of the art can do whatever they want... I remember many people in the 1980's had Steve Oliff hand color their B&W original art pages, with probable marketplace value hindsight regret.

And understandably!

I'm going to assume that Adlard and Gaudiano do not work near each other. Imagine if Gaudiano inked directly over Adlard's pencils instead of just blue line copies.. mmmmm :cloud9:

I'm going to assume that Adlard and Gaudiano do not work near each other.

Gaudiano lives in Spain and Adlard in England. At least they used to. Dunno if their current whereabouts have changed. I read an article once that said they'd pretty much only meet up when their paths crossed at Cons.

I've heard people on these boards say "people like a lot of ink on their pages" well that one fits the bill.

There is an optimal point where the amount of ink on the page maximizes value (all other things - including artistic quality and content - being equal), but beyond which it decreases value.

Thus endeth the lesson. :makepoint:

I've heard people on these boards say "people like a lot of ink on their pages" well that one fits the bill.

There is an optimal point where the amount of ink on the page maximizes value (all other things - including artistic quality and content - being equal), but beyond which it decreases value.

Thus endeth the lesson. :makepoint:

:signfunny:

873e5605ce4f4ae6f452b1ffac0a174f2efac3982860eec7b6fc69b9794b693d.jpg