• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Fellow Boardies Help, Is my ASM 1 Restored?

678 posts in this topic

I'm considering sending the book off to Matt Nelson first, and have him take a look at it. I'll post up screens later, so you guys can weigh in your 2 cents. A 3rd party dealer who I brought in to look at the book said that it's not like any restoration he's seen before, and rather attributes it to some sort of weird dust shadow, or fading.

Or a scan on here.Maybe Kenny could tell you.

Although the small pics make it difficult to say for sure (you should post bigger ones) the book does look like it's had some pieces added in the blue area at the right edge of the book as the blues vary in shade.

Inside cover, that was my cause of concern. Doesn't really show up in the scan, but when you hold it up to the light you can see a slight discoloration on the top corner area (about a 1/4th inch) and in the lower middle section.

To the touch, nothing feels all that different, and the scan doesn't seem to illuminate much.

I assume a reinforcement would be a lighter color, not a darker color, and feel different to the touch?

asm1inside1.jpg

Although the small pics make it difficult to say for sure (you should post bigger ones) the book does look like it's had some pieces added in the blue area at the right edge of the book as the blues vary in shade.

Does that necessarily indicate pieces added, or could it be re-inforcement or some sort of shading?

Hoping for the best....

Does that necessarily indicate pieces added, or could it be re-inforcement or some sort of shading?

Hoping for the best....

Sorry dude, that's a lot of resto.

The top left and lower right corner of F/C were redone, as was most of the right edge. I'm guessing it would get no less then a Moderate to possibly Extensive designation if sent to CGC.

Hoping for the best....

:facepalm:

reckon anything that Matt Nelson could fix, or is this book pretty much well bellow salvageable? any guesses on a value?

Hoping for the best....

reckon anything that Matt Nelson could fix, or is this book pretty much well bellow salvageable? any guesses on a value?

I think you would be even deeper in a hole if you paid Matt his hourly rate to remove all of it. Lots of pieces added, spine reinforcement, color touch.....haven't read the rest of the thread, did you purchase this recently?

Hoping for the best....

I think you would be even deeper in a hole if you paid Matt his hourly rate to remove all of it. Lots of pieces added, spine reinforcement, color touch.....haven't read the rest of the thread, did you purchase this recently?

Yeah seems like I got completely hosed on this one... Dealer has been in the business 30 years, and against my better judgement I bought it at around GPA.

Returns are unlikely at this point.

Gah... almost wants me want to give up this hobby for a bit.

Yeah seems like I got completely hosed on this one... Dealer has been in the business 30 years, and against my better judgement I bought it at around GPA.

Returns are unlikely at this point.

Gah... almost wants me want to give up this hobby for a bit.

Oh man...

Sorry dude, that's some pretty blatant resto. Its hard to believe the dealer couldn't tell it was there. But then, this hobby has more then its fair share of rose coloured glass wearers....sometimes its like a convention of Stevie Wonder Imitaters.