• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Twilight Zone "The Howling Man"

58 posts in this topic

I've had a Twilight Zone episode titled "The Howling Man" on DVR for awhile now and got to watch it today. It was a good little story, but it felt just like an Atlas horror comic! The lead character in the intro, explaining how you will not believe the story, the constant rain, a strange order of monks, it was fantastic!

Are there any other Twilight Zones with a distinct comics feel?

There are quite a few EC-like episodes, similar in style to Al Feldstein's science-fiction work.

Examples...

- People Are Alike All Over

- Third From The Sun

- The Rip Van Winkle Caper

- The Invaders

- The Little People

"The Monsters are Due on Maple Street" could be right out of Shock SuspenStories.

This.

As Wally said a few posts back, most of the TZ episodes have a very EC feel to them.

I would actually tell you to head straight to the original Outer limits series.

Don't get me wrong,im the Zone's number one fan and recommend that all should view at least all 3 first seasons.Apart from a few gems,Seasons 4 and 5 are..how shall we say..more into "Spock's brain" territory,one ST episode renowned for when the series was going downhill and the percentage of clunkers went up.

Get your hands on these 2 books if you can.

The inevitable one by Marc Scott Zicree and the one by Don Presnell

http://www.amazon.ca/Critical-History-Televisions-Twilight-1959-1964/dp/0786404485/ref=sr_1_sc_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1340905668&sr=8-1-spell

Since i was raised on it,for the last few years,ive been writing an homage series to the zone and am currently into my third season of screenplays.

What i mean by checking Outer limits is that Twilight zone has always been recognized as the more elegiac series,missed opportunities,smiling throught the tears,the loss of love..etc.

A few funny episodes and yes,a few very dark and creepy ones also.

But,if youre looking solely on dark and creepy,Outer limits 1960's is what youre

looking for.

The producer Joseph Stefano usually referred to each monster-of-the-week as "The bears "

Bug-eyed aliens,slug parasites and interdimensional beings combined with the

stunning cinematography that gave it its film noir quality enhancing the overall experience of uneasiness and foreboding.

Start with those.

1.Nightmare

2.Zanti misfits

3.Demon with a glass hand

4.The production and decay of strange particles.

Now close the light and scare the bejeezus out of yourself.

:ohnoez:

There are quite a few EC-like episodes, similar in style to Al Feldstein's science-fiction work.

Examples...

- People Are Alike All Over

- Third From The Sun

- The Rip Van Winkle Caper

- The Invaders

- The Little People

The Invaders was the one I was trying to remember! With the tiny flying saucer with U.S. Air Force on it at the end? Another absolute classic!

The Rip Van Winkle Caper did have an EC feel to it, I liked it, but it's not one I can watch again and again.

I had to look up the others, I haven't see The Little People or Third From the Sun, and I only vaguely recall People are Alike All Over. Hopefully SyFy will get to airing them soon!

I've had a Twilight Zone episode titled "The Howling Man" on DVR for awhile now and got to watch it today. It was a good little story, but it felt just like an Atlas horror comic! The lead character in the intro, explaining how you will not believe the story, the constant rain, a strange order of monks, it was fantastic!

I have mentioned it several times on here. This is my favorite episode. In fact during the last New Years marathon my mother was in shock I could quote most of the lines while eating dinner. I was actually able to quote a lot from episodes I hadn't seen often. The main actor is still alive and sometimes appears at conventions. Also a lot of cast members signed TZ trading cards about 7 years ago. Some of them are pushing 100, including Don Keefer the jack in the box that Anthony wishes into the corn field.

Love Twilight Zone.

But you want dark and creepy?

Night Gallery

and Tales from the Darkside

I've been meaning to pick up the latter box sets IF they ever go on sale.

That was some seriously creepy stuff a lot like pre-code and post (bronze) horror stuff.

Ben Stiller's Dad (King of Queens Dad) and the Fish guy (abe bagotta?)-- both often seen in comic roles -- will forever give you nightmares.

I would actually tell you to head straight to the original Outer limits series.

Don't get me wrong,im the Zone's number one fan and recommend that all should view at least all 3 first seasons.Apart from a few gems,Seasons 4 and 5 are..how shall we say..more into "Spock's brain" territory,one ST episode renowned for when the series was going downhill and the percentage of clunkers went up.

Get your hands on these 2 books if you can.

The inevitable one by Marc Scott Zicree and the one by Don Presnell

http://www.amazon.ca/Critical-History-Televisions-Twilight-1959-1964/dp/0786404485/ref=sr_1_sc_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1340905668&sr=8-1-spell

Since i was raised on it,for the last few years,ive been writing an homage series to the zone and am currently into my third season of screenplays.

What i mean by checking Outer limits is that Twilight zone has always been recognized as the more elegiac series,missed opportunities,smiling throught the tears,the loss of love..etc.

A few funny episodes and yes,a few very dark and creepy ones also.

But,if youre looking solely on dark and creepy,Outer limits 1960's is what youre

looking for.

The producer Joseph Stefano usually referred to each monster-of-the-week as "The bears "

stunning cinematography that gave it its film noir quality enhancing the overall experience of uneasiness and foreboding.

Start with those.

1.Nightmare

2.Zanti misfits

3.Demon with a glass hand

4.The production and decay of strange particles.

Now close the light and scare the bejeezus out of yourself.

:ohnoez:

Funny you should mention the Outer Limits. I just read an article on their influence on modern UFOlogy on Cracked.com. I pasted it together and took out the "bad" language.

Enjoy!

Greys came from The Outer Limits.jpg

The Mutant

images.jpg

Back to Zone,the episodes that have the very best O'Henry twist endings to them.

1.Shadow play.

2.Third from the sun

3.Execution

4.The dummy

5.Time enough at last.

Do i have to mention the classic of all classics ?

The eye of the beholder.

And those i consider to be an all-around winner each time i watch them

That is,cinematography,performances and effects working

in perfect harmony.

A game of pool.

Its a good life.

And when the sky was opened.

The obsolete man.

A passage for trumpet.

Nick of time,which i mentioned in the Bill Shatner thread.

Howling Man is one of my top 3 or 4 episodes of TZ.

I think many others have hit it right by saying TZ is the tv version of EC comics.

So many of the episodes fit the EC comics m.o.

To Serve Man

The Monsters are Due on Maple Street

Eye of the Beholder

Will the Last Martian Please Stand Up

My recommendation is to set your dvr to record the next TZ marathon on SYFY and then sit back and enjoy!