• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Feel like grading? Please help with my DD 188

19 posts in this topic

Hi guys,

What do you think about this book? I'm particularly wondering about how you think the LL BC affects the overall grade. The overhang points outward and is a little fuzzy.

Nothing else to add condition-wise except off-white pages. WYSIWYG.

Thanks!

-Jim

DD188-fr-sm.jpg

DD188-bk-sm.jpg

I think it's a 9.4, if it didn't have that overhang it could get in to the 9.6-9.8 range unless that's not a shadow from the staple near the upper staple?

Brian

Good catch, Brian. It's not a stress or a shadow, but rather just a speck of soiling or heavy ink. Tough to say for sure - and I'm holding the book an inch from my face!

I think it's a 9.4, if it didn't have that overhang it could get in to the 9.6-9.8 range unless that's not a shadow from the staple near the upper staple?

Brian

Good catch, Brian. It's not a stress or a shadow, but rather just a speck of soiling or heavy ink. Tough to say for sure - and I'm holding the book an inch from my face!

Don't sneeze....you might downgrade the comic. insane.gif

I can't really tell from here, but is that a spine stress above the top of the bottom staple on the book? I think I see a very minor spine stress about an inch and a half above the bottom staple as well.

Yes, it's a stress. There's another two very minor ones on the spine, but they are more towards the center of the book. Definitely further away than an an inch or two.

Yes, it's a stress. There's another two very minor ones on the spine, but they are more towards the center of the book. Definitely further away than an an inch or two.

Yeah, now that you mention it, it is definitely way more than an inch and a half. I wasn't looking at the scan when I posted, but the one in the center of the book was the one I was talking about. Great eye appeal on this book though! thumbsup2.gif

Jimm,

Those are great scans, and structurally a beautiful book - I'd say a 9.4 to 9.6 on structure. Those other guys are high.

The bad news is (and I can't believe no one saw this yet) you have a big color fade on DD's left shoulder, and (his) left side of his head (I'd say about 1" round) that's not supposed to be there. I checked three different copies of this book in my DD box. It 's solid red - no fade no orange.

Can't give it more than an 8.0 due to this, maybe even lower. smirk.gif

Jimm,

Those are great scans, and structurally a beautiful book - I'd say a 9.4 to 9.6 on structure. Those other guys are high.

The bad news is (and I can't believe no one saw this yet) you have a big color fade on DD's left shoulder, and (his) left side of his head (I'd say about 1" round) that's not supposed to be there. I checked three different copies of this book in my DD box. It 's solid red - no fade no orange.

That's a printing defect. Might knock off .2 at most because it's hardly noticeable.

Jimm,

Great information, David. This is exactly why the Grading forum is my favorite spot on the board. It's weird, because I don't think it's a fade from sunlight, but rather a printing/coloring flaw. The blacks in that area don't fade, and the gloss doesn't reveal any uneveness. However, you say none of your copies exhibit this flaw. Strange...

If we ever get together in person, I'll try to remember to show this book to you so I can get your in-hand opinion.

Jimm,

I had a beautiful ASM #101 once, but Morbius' costume was orange, not red. FFB - say what you will about "printing defects", but put 'em side by side, and one just looks BAD.

Look at it again.

makepoint.gif

Jimm,

I had a beautiful ASM #101 once, but Morbius' costume was orange, not red. FFB - say what you will about "printing defects", but put 'em side by side, and one just looks BAD.

Look at it again.

makepoint.gif

I thought it was a product thing too.

Her arm has no color fade, only the red ink on his costume.

That leads me to believe production ink flaw.