• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Official Amazing Spider-man review thread (All reviews here )

220 posts in this topic

For anyone that has seen this movie, I've been busy and not really able to follow up much about it - would you take your 10, 11 or 13 year old kids to see it?

For anyone that has seen this movie, I've been busy and not really able to follow up much about it - would you take your 10, 11 or 13 year old kids to see it?

I don't have kids but the content isn't something to be concerned about. IMO

I think kids around that age would enjoy it especially if they are boys.

(thumbs u

Ok, here's my take on the film because my wife, my son and I just saw it today in 3D (for only $6.50 each mind you)

I'm 40 years old. Spidey was always my favorite character growing up.

I always liked the Jeckle and Hyde aspect of the Lizard. He's not the greatest Spidey villan ever but he's interesting as a robust character with two sides to him.

The Gwen/Peter story I find incredibly emotional. I admit, I'm a sap. I still cry when ET dies and when Mic dies in Rocky 3 with Rocky snotting all over him.

Spider-man Blue is an excellent example of giving further insight into the importance of Gwen in Peter's life and I always recommend it as a must read.

Now about the film, I was nearly a blubbering mess the entire movie. Why? Because I am old enough to know what becomes of Gwen. It's a tragedy. It's as close as a comic book version of Shakespearian tragedy as they come. A decision is made and the worst happens anyway in that single panel with the word "snap".

It's not the death of Ben, and Captain Stacy that make Peter, it's the death of Gwen at his own hands that does.

Emma Stone was excellent as Gwen. Garfield was ok. He was over the top cocky when he starts but so was Peter in the early days, before the "snap".

Web shooters were a huge plus and really added to the experience.

I was ok with the more modern aspect of the film. This is 2012 after all, it's not a period piece.

SPOILER if you haven't seen it.

By the time Captain Stacy died I was nearly uncomfortable sitting there because of how emotional I was. All I could think was PLEASE don't let Gwen die yet! If she does I'd have to leave! My wife and I felt the same way because we were both nearly in tears when we walked out.

All that said, even if I am a "Big Baby" as I was told by a board member friend, I have no complaints whatsoever about the movie, other then two minor plot points, one of which I believe will be revealed in the next movie. That being, if someone else were bitten by one of those same spiders would they become Spider-man? I'm assuming the answer is no and that Peter has altered genetics by his father that we don't know of yet.

The second is, the web fluid is suppose to dissolve after a specific amount of time, and that is never mentioned.

I did read a comment saying something about Garfield being too lanky to be Peter. To that, I point to Ultimate Spider-man because he looks like that there.

I loved the film. I like movies that stir my emotions, and this one did just that. If Gwen has to die in the next film, it will be terrible. :(

Greatest Buffyfan post of all time. I choked up when Uncle Ben died and when little Jack got saved. This movie was awesome.

I think this is the age this movie is geared toward. Maybe more tween, but 10 year olds see crazier stuff on the cartoon network for sure.

(I just watched my 1st episode of Adventure Time yesterday). :cloud9:

Saw it tonight.

Thought it was a little too spooky in spots for my youngest.

Did not love the Lizard's "smile" face.

My favourite parts were of Spidey swinging. The made sure that it was iconic.

Right now I'm too tired to know how I feel about the entire movie.

It's definitely not anywhere near Nolan levels of story telling but it was entertaining, although I did find it slow in a few spots....again could have just been me being tired.

I do think it was Osborne at the end. They will probably have him find some sort of cure to his ailment or aging and it will turn him into the Goblin for the sequel bringing about the death of Gwen.

Ok, here's my take on the film because my wife, my son and I just saw it today in 3D (for only $6.50 each mind you)

I always liked the Jeckle and Hyde aspect of the Lizard. He's not the greatest Spidey villan ever but he's interesting as a robust character with two sides to him.

The Gwen/Peter story I find incredibly emotional. I admit, I'm a sap. I still cry when ET dies and when Mic dies in Rocky 3 with Rocky snotting all over him.

Spider-man Blue is an excellent example of giving further insight into the importance of Gwen in Peter's life and I always recommend it as a must read.

Now about the film, I was nearly a blubbering mess the entire movie. Why? Because I am old enough to know what becomes of Gwen. It's a tragedy. It's as close as a comic book version of Shakespearian tragedy as they come. A decision is made and the worst happens anyway in that single panel with the word "snap".

It's not the death of Ben, and Captain Stacy that make Peter, it's the death of Gwen at his own hands that does.

Emma Stone was excellent as Gwen. Garfield was ok. He was over the top cocky when he starts but so was Peter in the early days, before the "snap".

I was ok with the more modern aspect of the film. This is 2012 after all, it's not a period piece.

By the time Captain Stacy died I was nearly uncomfortable sitting there because of how emotional I was. All I could think was PLEASE don't let Gwen die yet! If she does I'd have to leave! My wife and I felt the same way because we were both nearly in tears when we walked out.

All that said, even if I am a "Big Baby" as I was told by a board member friend, I have no complaints whatsoever about the movie, other then two minor plot points, one of which I believe will be revealed in the next movie. That being, if someone else were bitten by one of those same spiders would they become Spider-man? I'm assuming the answer is no and that Peter has altered genetics by his father that we don't know of yet.

The second is, the web fluid is suppose to dissolve after a specific amount of time, and that is never mentioned.

I did read a comment saying something about Garfield being too lanky to be Peter. To that, I point to Ultimate Spider-man because he looks like that there.

I loved the film. I like movies that stir my emotions, and this one did just that. If Gwen has to die in the next film, it will be terrible. :(

Greatest Buffyfan post of all time. I choked up when Uncle Ben died and when little Jack got saved. This movie was awesome.

+1 :applause:

Thanks Sean. I'm not sure what people were expecting with this movie and in all honesty, I wasn't expecting much. There were a lot of scenes and lines shown in early trailers that were cut from the finished piece. Those earlier trailers did make it appear as if it was going to be some horrible teen angst film. I didn't find that at all.

The only scene that briefly had me think "uh oh, they're going to it up" is when Peter and Gwen are talking to each other in the hall by themselves and Peter starts in with the "aw shucks" routine. The pacing failed, just briefly there, but fortunately it got back on track.

Movies like this are to be enjoyed. No one is trying to claim Oscar BS here, Golden Globe BS there because they secretly want to have some fanboygasm about a "comic" film being nominated for Best Picture. It's as if some people only feel that they can be accepted in society as something other then a comic dork if one of these films gets nominated and/or wins.

Finally saw Spidey yesterday.

Ok, sorry, but that was pretty bad! I was sooooo bored for the first 3/4 of the movie. Another origin story, not much different than the one we already know and lots of pointless chatter.

At times it felt like I was watching ICarly does Spider-Man. Bad dialogue, ok acting by most of the cast although the lead (Peter Parker...I can't think of the alleged actor's name) has zero personality or screen presence. And frankly I did not find him even remotely likable so it was hard to root for him. The Gwen Stacy character was good as was her dad. The few attempts at humor in the film landed with a dull thud. No laughter in the theater I was in.

DIsappointing.

Oh, and I finally saw Captain America on Saturday....Ummm....Yeah....well, it was better than Spider-Man!

I just got around to seeing this movie via Netflix and thought it was enjoyable. Andrew Garfield was surprisingly good, but he is no Tobey Maguire. My wife and I both agreed that Emma Stone is a better leading lady than Kirsten Dunst. I don't have the heart to tell her what is going to happen to Gwen in the sequel. :cry:

I just got around to seeing this movie via Netflix and thought it was enjoyable. Andrew Garfield was surprisingly good, but he is no Tobey Maguire. My wife and I both agreed that Emma Stone is a better leading lady than Kirsten Dunst. I don't have the heart to tell her what is going to happen to Gwen in the sequel. :cry:
You must tell her :sumo:

And knowing is half the battle.

(:

You must tell her :sumo:

And knowing is half the battle.

(:

It occurred to me that I would have enjoyed this movie more if I hadn't known certain details such as the fact that Doc Connors was going to drink his own Kool-Aid and turn into a berserker mini-Godzilla! By going into a movie without any idea about how the story is going to unfold, you get to experience the narrative that the writers and director had intended. Instead, I spent part of the movie wondering when poor Doc Connors was going to go into rage mode :mad::sick::mad:

So being a respectful fan, I just don't want to spoil the next movie for her. It does become harder to watch since Emma Stone has a very likable quality about her on-screen. I hope they'll throw some surprises and twists to make the sequel interesting since we all have a basic idea about what will go down...

I'm finally ready to sit down and watch this -- as a monster Spidey fan, I saw the first three in the theaters on opening weekend, but was so disinterested in this effort that I've waited until now to see it. I'm not optimistic, but then again, I loved X-Men: First Class after initially being skeptical, so who knows.\

This isn't making me too encouraged, however. ;)