• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Why I loathe eBay

48 posts in this topic

I gave eBay up almost five years ago, its rising fee structure and total lack of regard for the 'small sellers' - along with its total lack of communication and accountability - telling me I was no longer wanted.

One of my major issues has been the lack of control sellers now have. You get the nutters on eBay and they now have a loaded gun in the form of feedback and you've got a target painted on your back.

However, in an effort to publicise the business and drive eyes to the Comicana Direct site, I was convinced to start listing some cheap krap on eBay. I did it reluctantly, but could see the business sense, so I started about six weeks ago.

I previously sold on eBay for six years and never got a neg. Six weeks back in and I've got my first. :facepalm:

Guy wins a piece of cheap rubbish for 19p (around 27 cents) and pays promptly. Book gets sent by Royal Mail 1st class on 22nd June, no insurance. no tracking - hey, he obviously decided to avoid a £2.75 postal charge on a 19p book!

Nothing is heard until yesterday when seller claims not to have received the book. When advised it was posted on 22nd, he opens a claim.

Fair enough, I think. Upon further thought, I realise that without proof of postage (the receipts you get from the Post Office don't specificy location unless you've used Recorded or Special Delivery), I'm going to lose the case. For the sake of keeping things sweet in exchange for a total of £2.19 (book plus 1st Class postage), I refund immediately.

The end of it, you'd think?

Oh no, not a bit of it. :facepalm:

Within ten minutes of me issuing the refund, he leaves this feedback...

'RIP OFF- avoid. Refund given, as seller didn't want to sell item at low price.'

I couldn't actually believe it and contacted him immediately, asking him to remove the feedback as he'd not only got all of his money back, but he was also making statements that were wholly untrue and also libelous. I pointed to the rest of my feedback...

http://feedback.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewFeedback2&ftab=AllFeedback&userid=comicanadirect&iid=-1&de=off&items=25&interval=0&mPg=222&page=1

...where he would see that dozens and dozens of people have won bargain books for 19p and 49p and everyone else had received them and was more than happy. I asked him why I would risk my perfect feedback because a book sold for £1.50 less than it might have done and why I would only do it to him?

Ignoring all logic, the buyer wouldn't budge and stated that he would only retract the neg upon receipt of proof of postage...knowing full well that with the service he had paid for, you don't get proof of postage. :censored:

People, could you do both myself and yourselves a favour and place marvelbronzeagecomics (Simon Clark from Yorkshire, in case he's got another ID) on your blocked bidder list.

It might save you some hassle down the road. (thumbs u

Sorry to hear that Nick. I'm sure anyone who looks at your feedback will know straight away what a fake he was.

I have some advice, for proof of postage you can get a book where you write the persons name and address inside and they stamp it for you. It's free and covers you for £28 should anything get lost. I can show you a scan of what it looks like if you want.

Sorry to hear that Nick. I'm sure anyone who looks at your feedback will know straight away what a fake he was.

I have some advice, for proof of postage you can get a book where you write the persons name and address inside and they stamp it for you. It's free and covers you for £28 should anything get lost. I can show you a scan of what it looks like if you want.

Please do! :foryou:

Post office used to hand them out but stopped that months ago, I haven't bothered with proof of postage since.

Where did you buy this from?

Nick - you are correct in saying that Paypal won't side with you unless you use a service where the delivery is signed for but the PO provide proof of postage on every item as long as you ask - they give you a receipt with the house number and post code on it.

Sorry to hear that you've had to deal with such a person_who_is_obnoxiously_self-impressed.

Cover is up to £45 now since they increased postal charges.

Guy wins a piece of cheap rubbish for 19p (around 27 cents) and pays promptly. Book gets sent by Royal Mail 1st class on 22nd June, no insurance. no tracking - hey, he obviously decided to avoid a £2.75 postal charge on a 19p book!

Since he is trying to call you out on this by asking for any form of shipment proof, did you at least keep a copy of the receipt when you paid the mail? Even though you may not have tracking, he did ask for any form of proof.

If you have this, politely call his bluff and send a scan if you have it showing the date it went out.

But it does suck how Ebay talks a good game about its seller protection in these situations, and yet the buyer has everything going for them.

Ignoring all logic, the buyer wouldn't budge and stated that he would only retract the neg upon receipt of proof of postage...knowing full well that with the service he had paid for, you don't get proof of postage. :censored:

Not even a receipt of payment?

Post office used to hand them out but stopped that months ago, I haven't bothered with proof of postage since.

Where did you buy this from?

They still do it - I don't have to ask anymore, they just do it automatically.

I may have had a little too much wine for dinner. Could someone explain this stamp/proof of delivery system (Anfield/Whizzer) in plain language and in detail? It sounds interesting.

BTW: Sorry to hear about this Nick. Common sense and rationality on eBay is rarer than hens teeth.

I may have had a little too much wine for dinner. Could someone explain this stampe/proof of delivery system in plain language and in detail? It sounds interesting.

BTW: Sorry to hear about this Nick. Common sense and rationality on eBay is rarer than hens teeth.

As Comicopolis said, if you ask at the counter, they will give you a printed receipt, showing the house number and post code of the property you posted the item to.

I gave eBay up almost five years ago, its rising fee structure and total lack of regard for the 'small sellers' - along with its total lack of communication and accountability - telling me I was no longer wanted.

One of my major issues has been the lack of control sellers now have. You get the nutters on eBay and they now have a loaded gun in the form of feedback and you've got a target painted on your back.

However, in an effort to publicise the business and drive eyes to the Comicana Direct site, I was convinced to start listing some cheap krap on eBay. I did it reluctantly, but could see the business sense, so I started about six weeks ago.

I previously sold on eBay for six years and never got a neg. Six weeks back in and I've got my first. :facepalm:

Nothing is heard until yesterday when seller claims not to have received the book. When advised it was posted on 22nd, he opens a claim.

Fair enough, I think. Upon further thought, I realise that without proof of postage (the receipts you get from the Post Office don't specificy location unless you've used Recorded or Special Delivery), I'm going to lose the case. For the sake of keeping things sweet in exchange for a total of £2.19 (book plus 1st Class postage), I refund immediately.

The end of it, you'd think?

Oh no, not a bit of it. :facepalm:

Within ten minutes of me issuing the refund, he leaves this feedback...

'RIP OFF- avoid. Refund given, as seller didn't want to sell item at low price.'

I couldn't actually believe it and contacted him immediately, asking him to remove the feedback as he'd not only got all of his money back, but he was also making statements that were wholly untrue and also libelous. I pointed to the rest of my feedback...

http://feedback.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewFeedback2&ftab=AllFeedback&userid=comicanadirect&iid=-1&de=off&items=25&interval=0&mPg=222&page=1

...where he would see that dozens and dozens of people have won bargain books for 19p and 49p and everyone else had received them and was more than happy. I asked him why I would risk my perfect feedback because a book sold for £1.50 less than it might have done and why I would only do it to him?

People, could you do both myself and yourselves a favour and place marvelbronzeagecomics (Simon Clark from Yorkshire, in case he's got another ID) on your blocked bidder list.

It might save you some hassle down the road. (thumbs u

It happens. Get on with your life and forget about it.

I may have had a little too much wine for dinner. Could someone explain this stampe/proof of delivery system (Anfield/Whizzer) in plain language and in detail? It sounds interesting.

The post office give you a printed receipt with the date and price on it and then they write the house number and post code on it - that is your proof of postage when needing to claim against the PO for lost or damaged items.

I may have had a little too much wine for dinner. Could someone explain this stampe/proof of delivery system (Anfield/Whizzer) in plain language and in detail? It sounds interesting.

The post office give you a printed receipt with the date and price on it and then they write the house number and post code on it - that is your proof of postage when needing to claim against the PO for lost or damaged items.

Now I know why your post count is so high :baiting: