• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Modern Retailer Variants. To buy or not to buy.

51 posts in this topic

Which ones are the ones to collect and WHY. Is Astonishing X-men Cassidy truly as rare as we thought would be. How about the Wizard giveaways like HellBoy Photo cover ect . I like the variants but would love the expert opinions of the forum thx.

Which ones are the ones to collect and WHY. Is Astonishing X-men Cassidy truly as rare as we thought would be. How about the Wizard giveaways like HellBoy Photo cover ect . I like the variants but would love the expert opinions of the forum thx.

The answer to this is very simple. You just have to look back at the past. The early to mid 90's were absolutely inudated with countless versions of "rare" variant covers. Now think hard and try to imagine which one of these old variants you would be willing to pay real money for today. The answer is probably nil to a very miniscule amount in comparison to the actual number of variants out there. Now think ahead 10 years and try to imagine which one of the currents variants collectors will want in the future. I think the answer is also very obvious because the collectors of 2014 will be too busy chasing after the latest newsstand variants to care at all about your variants from 2004.

Bottom-line: "Rare" modern books are only there to appeal to the speculator mentality in you, by having the prices of books starting at the top and then having nowhere to go but down from there.

Bottom-line: "Rare" modern books are only there to appeal to the speculator mentality in you, by having the prices of books starting at the top and then having nowhere to go but down from there.

893applaud-thumb.gif

Manufactured collectables have very poor long term track records. gossip.gif

Man, my variant AXM didn't bring me NEARLY the cash it would have only a week earlier. Any book that jumps up to $100 on the day of release and then drops is a disappointment. I only got $55 for it AND the GDO variant combined!

Man, my variant AXM didn't bring me NEARLY the cash it would have only a week earlier. Any book that jumps up to $100 on the day of release and then drops is a disappointment. I only got $55 for it AND the GDO variant combined!

Boy oh boy. Learn people. I fell for the same [!@#%^&^] in the 90's. I have about 20 different covers for Darkchyld (sp). Anyone have a Lady Death LEATHER. A must have???!!???? How about 300 covers for Shi and Gen 13. I bought every cover of everything. It will always be this way. Wait a few years. I remember talking down a dealer on a Shi #5 (I think) from $100 to $75. I have the book, signed by 6 people....worth about $5. There is $75 I will never have again. If you are gonna flip. Flip fast or lose out. Sorry. foreheadslap.gif

If you overpay for a variant these days, dont worry if you lose money you will always have the wonderful stories in the books to read and treasure forever. 27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif

Or even better you will be able to remember the time you bought that book that was $100 and you talked him down to $75. Great memories 893frustrated.gif

Not intended to make anyone feel bad, but I sure am glad I only paid cover for the AXM team cover variant. That being said, I had to buy 10 copies of District X #1 to get my AXM.

I see the Astonishing X-men variant everywhere i go its not that rare guys..If you can get one in almost every comicbook website and ebay has alot..for anyone in New York i seen like 5 copies in midtowncomics a few weeks ago news.gif

I see the Astonishing X-men variant everywhere i go its not that rare guys..If you can get one in almost every comicbook website and ebay has alot..for anyone in New York i seen like 5 copies in midtowncomics a few weeks ago news.gif

I don't think anybody is naive enough to believe that these two variants are truly rare in any shape or form. There is only a temporary perceived rarity caused by the clever marketing and all the speculative hype surrounding these so-called rare variants. This has resulted in a short-term temporary situation where speculative demand has exceeded the supply of these books. Within a few months, when everybody is chasing after the next hot variant, speculative demand will drop like a rock with the same supply out there, resulting in a sizeable decline in the prices. Nothing new here since we have seen it countless times with the new books over the years.

Bottom-line: If you want to cash in on these "rare" variants, better flip them fast because there are thousands of copies out there. Don't be left without a seat when the music stops in this comic book version of musical chairs.

However, the flip-side of recent history shows us several examples where limited edition purchases have actually held significant value, although not often as much as their hype periods. However, these usualy require extremely low print runs, and an actual interest in the cover art. Linsner's "Cry for Dawn" variants move VERY quickly at some pretty serious prices. Even some of the recent "Lucifer's Halo" limiteds (with print runs of a meager 1500) command VERY strong prices and sell instantly.

However, most limited or variant covers do not have long-term viability because they are not really all that limited or interesting.

-Rival

Variety is in abundance at news.gifhttp://www.leathericon.com

acclaim.gifLeathericon have a great online selection of Quality Leather Apparel with great prices and outstanding service. All our men's and women's leather garments and accessories are made from the finest leathers.Leather Icon is pleased to bring you a fine assortment of leather items at low discount pres.We don't compromise with quality. gossip.gif

Thanks

Variety is in abundance at news.gifhttp://www.leathericon.com

acclaim.gifLeathericon have a great online selection of Quality Leather Apparel with great prices and outstanding service. All our men's and women's leather garments and accessories are made from the finest leathers.Leather Icon is pleased to bring you a fine assortment of leather items at low discount pres.We don't compromise with quality. gossip.gif

Thanks

What the hairy, funky [!@#%^&^] is that?!?! foreheadslap.gif