• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Should I feel a bit annoyed?

14 posts in this topic

I always assumed that the 'Best Offer' option on Ebay was just that - an invitation to begin a conversation, or at least an opportunity to make certain you're not wasting anyone's time trying to start a conversation.

But I recently submitted a 'best offer' on Ebay, within 70% of the asking price, which I would normally expect should at least generate some sort of response, even if it's a rejection.

To date: >crickets chirping<

...and the listing is ended now, no winner.

I suppose it's just possible that the seller is out of town for the holiday, but such a delay isn't mentioned in the listing.

I would expect that 70% is close enough to not be treated like a lowball bidder. I'm feeling a little bent out of shape.

:taptaptap:

Yup. I use auto decline now because so many people send ridiculously low offers (like a $10 offer on a $10,000 item). If someone sends a moderate offer that is close to the decline limit the offer might go unnoticed as eBay does not send notification emails with auto decline.

If you get auto declined, eBay sends you a message with a note that you can make a new offer.

As for the OP, if you didn't get a response to an offer on eBay, I say don't sweat it, chances it's not a personal affront.

ya, if it was auto declined there would be a notice and while 70% isn't too bad, the seller either didn't want to accept it, or he thought about it too long (hoping for a better offer) and the auction ended.

I wouldn't be too annoyed, don't take too many things personally in this hobby.

Malvin

I just take it for granted everyone on Ebay is a Jerk - hole.

And then am pleasantly surprised if they are not.

Lastly, you never know who's on the other side of the internet. The guy might be selling because he's broke and working 2 jobs, and might not even check ebay until the weekend....

70% of ask may be fairly low to some: if it's a $1000 book, 70% is $700. If seller will only go down to $850 - a decent discount - he may not respond to $700. I don't subscribe to that - I would respond to a 70% offer, even if it were to say "that's way too low for me - but thanks for the interest." But to me, 30% off of ask does seem like a fairly low offer... 2c

Indeed. For instance if I was selling a cover for $4000 and someone offered me $2800 I'd ignore them too. I've learned that responding and saying it's too low often draws out the worst in people, even when I try to be nice about it. :/

Generally, I agree with Pete on his statements.

eBay seems to have become a magnet to the socially inept and professionally unscrupulous, both the buyers and sellers, but increasingly more so with the buyers.

It's easier to rectify situations with sellers as a buyer.

If as a buyer you encounter a seller who is questionable in their lack of communication or the listing/offer seems sketchy, it's easier and better to pass on an item than get disappointed. Ultimately, it's their (the seller's) loss, and it's a red-flag of potential problems on the horizon if the seller is difficult before the transaction even occurs. Better safe than sorry.

eBay and Pay Pal seems to coddle buyers to a point where sellers are exposed by any buyers who want to scam the system and commit both mail fraud and actual flat out theft.

I've heard stories of buyers, even with a delivery confirmation, claim the product comes damaged, demands a refund from the seller, files a formal report with eBay/Pay Pal, is then instructed by eBay/Pay Pal to return the item to the seller for a full refund, then sends back an empty parcel to the seller with their own delivery confirmation and gets the full refund while keeping the product with no recourse for the seller to recoup their losses and even with documentation and substantiation it all falls on the deaf ears of eBay and their lack of customer service.

My advice is, keep all communication documented. Take photos of the parcels and retain all records and receipts related to shipments, and if receiving returned goods, use a video camera to record the opening of the package from the start. Still not fool proof and will probably fall of the deaf ears of eBay and Pay Pal, but still worth retaining in the event you want to file a report of mail fraud through the USPS or other carrier and/or eBay finally wakes up and treats the bread and butter of their income, their sellers, with the proper respect and owns up to being more responsible as a company to protect BOTH the buyer and the seller and not create such a one-way street.

The whole eBay feedback system of not allowing sellers recourse for posting negative feedback to warn other sellers about buyers who are troublemakers or commit fraud is very flawed. And it's like pulling teeth for sellers to get unwarranted negative feedback removed from buyers, even with proof (many buyers are still so stupid to communicate through eBay's "contact seller" messaging system their attempts at blackmail, threats, fraud and using foul or inappropriate language - - yet even when presented to eBay, falls on the deaf ears of their lack of customer service and support of the sellers)

I just take it for granted everyone on Ebay is a Jerk - hole.

And then am pleasantly surprised if they are not.

Lastly, you never know who's on the other side of the internet. The guy might be selling because he's broke and working 2 jobs, and might not even check ebay until the weekend....

I always assumed that the 'Best Offer' option on Ebay was just that - an invitation to begin a conversation, or at least an opportunity to make certain you're not wasting anyone's time trying to start a conversation.

But I recently submitted a 'best offer' on Ebay, within 70% of the asking price, which I would normally expect should at least generate some sort of response, even if it's a rejection.

To date: >crickets chirping<

...and the listing is ended now, no winner.

I suppose it's just possible that the seller is out of town for the holiday, but such a delay isn't mentioned in the listing.

I would expect that 70% is close enough to not be treated like a lowball bidder. I'm feeling a little bent out of shape.

:taptaptap:

For me, it would depend on whether or not the full asking price was realistic.

If fair market value, as a seller I would be disappointed by a 70% offer (which is, after all, a 30% cut).

If the asking price was over-ambitious, as a seller I'd be willing to negotiate/compromise a little with the would-be buyer.