• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Can anyone with a Nick Fury Agent of Shield 1 (1968) answer this?

19 posts in this topic

So, I was just looking at my super sweet copy of Nick Fury 1 that I bought from a comic shop years ago and was considering submitting it but as I was giving it the preliminary inspection I noticed what I think is a signature inside the book that shouldn't be there.

It doesn't look like the standard ownership name as it is a pretty signature, but it doesn't appear to be any artist or writer involved with the book.

Can someone that owns a raw copy, take a look at the inside cover and confirm for me that I have writing on the inside of mine?

Thanks!!

nick.jpg

Nice,

That is Steranko's signature.

If you submit to CGC - they won't deduct much for it. They will note on the cover that there is a "Name written on first page in pen" or something similar.

Dude!!! You are so lucky! :applause:

I LOVE books signed on the 1st page like that! If you get it slabbed like they said, the label will say "signed by Steranko in ink on 1st page"! I would rather have that than an SS book anyway! I freaking LOVE "signed on 1st page" books! :cloud9:

To me, they are definitely more valuable. Some people don't like it but no question, 100% guarantee I would bid more in an auction for your copy than a "regular" copy in the same grade (thumbs u

Congrats!

Oh yeah, what grade do you think it is?

Just checked back in and saw the responses! That is awesome!!

I thought is said "Peanne" or something.

Looks to be about a 9.2 unless I am missing anything. Getting some books together to send down to joeypost

Dude!!! You are so lucky! :applause:

I LOVE books signed on the 1st page like that! If you get it slabbed like they said, the label will say "signed by Steranko in ink on 1st page"! I would rather have that than an SS book anyway! I freaking LOVE "signed on 1st page" books! :cloud9:

To me, they are definitely more valuable. Some people don't like it but no question, 100% guarantee I would bid more in an auction for your copy than a "regular" copy in the same grade (thumbs u

Congrats!

I'm not a fan of Sigs on the cover either,gets in the way of the art.Besides how many things can you have Stan sign anyway. (shrug)

Besides how many things can you have Stan sign anyway. (shrug)

Yeah, my first SS book was a Stan signature. I had a Hulk 181 7.5 that pressed to an 8.5 and without thinking it through I got the Stan signature at the same time.

Now I have a book I love that I regret having signed. I really want to upgrade to a 9.2 blue but the price jump for all the copies I have seen has been more than I want to spend.

Besides how many things can you have Stan sign anyway. (shrug)

Yeah, my first SS book was a Stan signature. I had a Hulk 181 7.5 that pressed to an 8.5 and without thinking it through I got the Stan signature at the same time.

Now I have a book I love that I regret having signed. I really want to upgrade to a 9.2 blue but the price jump for all the copies I have seen has been more than I want to spend.

You know I really only buy one big book a year,and save up for it all year in a separate account from my account that I pay bills with.Otherwise I would never be able to afford the books I own.It takes alot of restraint and focus,but if you want that 9.2/9.4 Blue Hulk 181 there is no reason why you can't own it.

You know I really only buy one big book a year,and save up for it all year in a separate account from my account that I pay bills with.Otherwise I would never be able to afford the books I own.It takes alot of restraint and focus,but if you want that 9.2/9.4 Blue Hulk 181 there is no reason why you can't own it.

Exactly! I know of a couple collectors that go out and consistently purchase books in 8.5 or less because they are affordable and love the covers. Nothing is wrong with collecting this way.

However, when the same collectors tell me they cannot afford a grail copy that is within reach (like Hulk #181), I tell them to stop buying 50 copies of $100.00 or less books and saves for that grail. They never listen to this advice.

I personally find that collecting quality over quantity is the best way to go. You don't have to lug all these books when moving, or arranging your comic room / man cave. It can be a greater accomplishment owning multiple grail books in the best grade you can save up for rather than lesser graded copies of that book.

I find it tragic when my friends talk about grail books and they cannot ever afford a copy because of their addiction to buy cheaper books for whatever reason. I find people who buy quality tend to enjoy their collection more. 2c

Exactly! I know of a couple collectors that go out and consistently purchase books in 8.5 or less because they are affordable and love the covers. Nothing is wrong with collecting this way.

However, when the same collectors tell me they cannot afford a grail copy that is within reach (like Hulk #181), I tell them to stop buying 50 copies of $100.00 or less books and saves for that grail. They never listen to this advice.

I personally find that collecting quality over quantity is the best way to go. You don't have to lug all these books when moving, or arranging your comic room / man cave. It can be a greater accomplishment owning multiple grail books in the best grade you can save up for rather than lesser graded copies of that book.

I find it tragic when my friends talk about grail books and they cannot ever afford a copy because of their addiction to buy cheaper books for whatever reason. I find people who buy quality tend to enjoy their collection more. 2c

That's where the restraint comes in,less buying the cheaper books and save for the "grail" you always wanted.I want to buy everything I see,but I know that I'm saving for a Journey into Mystery 83 this year,and I'm going to stay focused.Good for you Mister O,with that frame of mind surely your collection is a great one. :applause:

I've never collected CGC signature series books. If you do the CGC signature thing, is there any reason you cannot have the artist/writer sign it on the first page? If the CGC rep is there, will they still authenticate the signature?

Definitely Steranko. My LCS had Captain America 110 with "writing on 1st page" on the sticker. I popped open the bag and recognized it right away, walked out with it for $10.

I've never collected CGC signature series books. If you do the CGC signature thing, is there any reason you cannot have the artist/writer sign it on the first page? If the CGC rep is there, will they still authenticate the signature?

Yes.

A book does not have to be signed on the cover to get the SS label. Just needs to be witnessed by an authorized rep. You could have them sign it anywhere on the book as far as I know (FC, inside FC, Page 1, Page 20, whatever).

Yes.

A book does not have to be signed on the cover to get the SS label. Just needs to be witnessed by an authorized rep. You could have them sign it anywhere on the book as far as I know (FC, inside FC, Page 1, Page 20, whatever).

This kind of defeats the entire CGC model, no? What good is having the sig on the splash page if its slabbed and never seen? And if you crack the slab open to see the sig, you would get a green label if you resubmitted the book.

Maybe someday CGC will create a slab that allows you to flip thru the pages. Now THAT would be something!

This kind of defeats the entire CGC model, no? What good is having the sig on the splash page if its slabbed and never seen? And if you crack the slab open to see the sig, you would get a green label if you resubmitted the book.

Everything defeats comics which you no longer can browse or read, What good is having a comic book you cannot read because you are afraid it will "decrease in value".

I’m not questioning the CGC warranty per se. I agree that CGC offers a service of professional grading, and so books should be priced accordingly after they are certified in grading by a professional, but it doesn’t make sense that afterwards the price depends on *not opening* the case. It’s of no use except for being hanged on your wall or show how beautiful is the cover. To me, it’s no longer a comic book. ;)

Don't slab it - Sigs on splashes are cool, even if unverifiable by CGC. And while I suppose anything can be forged, you can generally tell if sigs look legit by comparing to authenticated ones.

I once bought a low grade All-Winners #2 with obvious amateur color touch on ebay years ago, and was surprised to find Joe Simon and Jack Kirby sigs - in two kinds of ink - on the Cap splash. They looked like the real thing. I sold it a year later on ebay for nearly double what I paid when I advertised the sigs.