• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Any OA Reports from SDCC 2012?

159 posts in this topic

I've known the Donnellys for 30 years and I have never had a negative experience with them in any fashion. If they want to ask a big price on something they own, that's their prerogative because it's their art.

Do your crying in private.

If the problem people have with them was limited to or actually included their pricing you may be right.

However, assuming that the problem people have with them has to do with pricing and pricing alone would be a mistake.

Some people might have a problem with that organization or lack thereof, like if they bought a page on Ebay, and received the wrong page, was told the original page was lost only to see their page show up on Ebay a month later with no contact or attempt made to correct the error.

Some of those people might have brought that error to their attention and were then asked to pay return shipping on the wrong piece, as well as shipping on the correct piece being sent back to them. Paying for their mistake...more than once, if you will.

Other folks might have an issue with their disclosure and how they choose to handle problems. Some of those people might have bought a Secret Wars page from them off of Ebay later (not realizing he was dealing with them again because of the multiple Ebay accounts). Those people might have specifically asked if there were any condition issues, such as non logo stats, paste ups or excessive white out. Those people might have been given a blanket "the piece is in perfect condition, no problems" response and went ahead with the purchase only to discover that the page was, in fact 1/3 stat, and had extensive corrections on it.

Those people might have contacted the seller with their discovery and expected the seller to be as shocked as they were. I mean, they were told the page was perfect with no problems.

Imagine their shock when they were told immediately and flatly "There's art under that stat." confirming that, not only did the seller know about the stat before they were contacted, but chose to not disclose that information even when asked directly.

I am glad you never had a problem in 30 years. Not everyone has had the same experience.

Do your cheer leading in private.

Any word on what pages from WD 99 & 100 were selling for at the splashpageart booth?

The #100 pages never made it to the announced sale this morning. Someone made Adlard an offer he couldn't refuse for the entire issue (minus cover) last night.

#99 pages were all available. Prices ranged from $275-$800, iirc.

Koch/Thibodeaux:

Ditko ASM #12 splash - $150K

Ditko ASM #8 p. 11 - $42K

(Mc)Spidey #8 cover - $85K

Kirby FF #55 page Surfer vs. Thing (5 panels, think it's the pg. right before the one he tries to break the board) - $75K

Kirby FF #55 p. 5 - $55K

BWS Conan #2 p. 1 splash - $30K

BWS Conan #7 p. 1 splash - $28K

BWS Savage Tales #1 Conan pages - several available in the $15-$16.5K range

BWS Pandora's Box painting "not less than a hundred [thousand]" (heard from another collector)

BWS Conan - various pages for $7,500 to $9,000

Graphic Collectibles:

Romita ASM #156 cover - $22K

Romita Jr. X-Men #185 cover - $15.5K

Art Adams X-Men/New Mutants pin-up from 1989 (superb) - $25K

Mignola Batman #700 cover - $7,500

Kirby JIM #110 p. 10 - $12K

Miller DKR (1986) #3 pages - $13K (p. 5), $26K (p. 13)

Heritage:

Byrne X-Men #139 page (Hulk #181 recap): $25,000+ estimate

Kirby TOS splash - $35,000+ estimate

McFarlane Marvel Tales cover with the X-Men and Spidey on it - $100,000+ estimate

Didn't see much else new at the other dealers, though Burkey is getting some new stuff in tomorrow in trade apparently.

Overheard quote of the day: "Your reputation precedes you." - Saul Zimmerman to Steve Donnelly

Best recounted quote of the day: "I got into comic art because it was cheaper than comics." - Pete Koch, as retold by a collector at dinner

Mitch I. was supposed to be bringing a Neal Adams Deadman splash to the show. Anyone know which one? Asking price? Already sold?

Comix4Fun, so far in this thread, befor eyou at least, the gripe was about pricing. I addressed that single issue. I am already on record on this site saying that customer service issues should be addressed, and some of them are poor representations of business, without question.

furthermore, I wasn;t doing any cheerleading. I could care less if you or any other buyer does business with them or not. I could care less if you ever do any business with me. Maybe I don't want to do business with people who are always complaining about other people. Fortunately I can choose who I do business with just as you can choose who you would buy from. What I don't do in general is run down other people. I find it to be a character flaw when people do and I also find it to be a very juvenile aspect of people in general continually whine about things they don't like and an awful lot of that goes on on these boards. Remember that when people come to these boards looking for information and they see people whine whine whine, it's a poor reflection on the hobby as well as being a poor refelction on the whiners. Discussion is one thing and complaining has it's place, but it isn't in every thread. Another things, of all those things you mention they have done, how many of them were your personal experience and how many of them are "second hand tales" or even third hand tales? I don't spread gossip. If you had a bad experience personally and want to talk about it, go right ahead. But if you want to relate "stories" told to you by others - whether they have basis in fact or not - it is gossip for you to further such stories. When the person(s) such issues have happened to personally wish to post, they should. But the "so and so told me this happened to them" is only worth so much. It's no different than old ladies in a sewing circle talking about everyone in town behind their back

Comix4Fun, so far in this thread, befor eyou at least, the gripe was about pricing. I addressed that single issue. I am already on record on this site saying that customer service issues should be addressed, and some of them are poor representations of business, without question.

furthermore, I wasn;t doing any cheerleading. I could care less if you or any other buyer does business with them or not. I could care less if you ever do any business with me. Maybe I don't want to do business with people who are always complaining about other people. Fortunately I can choose who I do business with just as you can choose who you would buy from. What I don't do in general is run down other people. I find it to be a character flaw when people do and I also find it to be a very juvenile aspect of people in general continually whine about things they don't like and an awful lot of that goes on on these boards. Remember that when people come to these boards looking for information and they see people whine whine whine, it's a poor reflection on the hobby as well as being a poor refelction on the whiners. Discussion is one thing and complaining has it's place, but it isn't in every thread. Another things, of all those things you mention they have done, how many of them were your personal experience and how many of them are "second hand tales" or even third hand tales? I don't spread gossip. If you had a bad experience personally and want to talk about it, go right ahead. But if you want to relate "stories" told to you by others - whether they have basis in fact or not - it is gossip for you to further such stories. When the person(s) such issues have happened to personally wish to post, they should. But the "so and so told me this happened to them" is only worth so much. It's no different than old ladies in a sewing circle talking about everyone in town behind their back

I don't tell other people's stories. I don't gossip. I have enough of my own experiences in this hobby, thanks.

Again your experiences with someone doesn't mean that it's impossible that someone else had a drastically different experience or experiences. Calling them whiners or criers is the most juvenile thing I has seen so far.

This hobby has its share of problem. How it "looks" to outsiders doesn't seem to be the most pressing. A much bigger problem than whining would be people that believe in perpetuating silence at the expense of disclosure because of how it makes the hobby "look". New collectors enter the hobby every day. Zipping our lips to pretend these things don't happen all the time from several different dealers/collectors/auctioneers in order to put a whitewash shine on the hobby is a pretty serious dose of contradiction.

The hobby "looks" far worse when someone's experiences are called "crying", "whining" or "gossiping" when they are, in fact, posted as information and opinion.

Not valuable to you is not the same thing as not valuable to everyone.

:slapfight:

Now back to our regular scheduled program .....

Aside from the amazing photo of the woman dressed as Lara Croft, I haven't seen any pictures from SDCC worth looking at. Where are all those ipads and iphones when you need them. lol.

After the first full day, there must have been at least 1 monster OA deal that went down. (shrug)

Cheers!

N.

Comix4fun, I spoke about MY OWN experiences with them. They are the only experiences I can speak about with certainty.

if you want to start a thread about how bad the Donnellys are and have everyone who has actually had bad experiences with them, go right ahead. I don't bother telling second hand and third hand stories. You can if you want, but it doesn't make you look like an adult when you do. at least not to other adults. If you don't like how the discussion goes when I relate MY OWN experiences, I don't care about that either and your insinuation that I think people should button their lips is complete bullpatty. I just happen to think that only those who have been hurt can tell their stories efficiently and trolling 2nd, 3rd and 4th hand stories is a child's game..

I'm also guessing your reading comprehension is weak, seeing as I have already said in this thread and in other threads over the years that if the Donnellys have poor customer service that they should be held accountable, but I never had a bad experience with them. Period.

however, I'll say it again, because your reading comprehension didn't mange to understand it the first time, I was only referencing people's comments in this thread - where none of them spoke one word about customer service issues - about their feelings that the Donnellys are this that or the other because their prices are high. Did you read it this time? Do you understand what I'm saying?? Or is it that you just have a bone to pick and want to create trouble for them? Grow up

by the way Comix, why don't you tell us YOUR PERSONAL STORY OF BAD BUSINESS WITH THE DONNELLEYS

no stories.. your own experience. what did they do to you, not what you've heard they did to someone else

I'd love to hear your story.. if you even have one

Or better yet, PM each other so the rest of us can follow this thread when actual info pertaining to the actual thread topic happens to appear. If that happens to be a deal involving the brothers, so be it, but until then, the back and forth is between the two of you, and wading through it is growing tiresome.

Guest Reader
by the way Comix, why don't you tell us YOUR PERSONAL STORY OF BAD BUSINESS WITH THE DONNELLEYS

no stories.. your own experience. what did they do to you, not what you've heard they did to someone else

:facepalm: Don't worry, the only thing that matters is that you've had good experiences with them.

Or better yet, PM each other so the rest of us can follow this thread when actual info pertaining to the actual thread topic happens to appear. If that happens to be a deal involving the brothers, so be it, but until then, the back and forth is between the two of you, and wading through it is growing tiresome.

Eric, I agree with you and you wouldn't be rading it if Comix4fun didn't attack my position because he hates the Donnellys. He could have just stated his own position, but he choose to belittle mine, which means that I'm going to respond to him in exactly the way I have already responded and I have no doubt that you would do the exact same

:facepalm: Don't worry, the only thing that matters is that you've had good experiences with them.

and you are entirely incorrect Reader. everyone's experience is important, but I only speak to my own. You can speak to yours if you wish, but I'm not a guy who will go banging on the Donnellys when I have nothing to bang on them about and I'm not the only guy in this thread that agrees that the Donnellys can ask whatever they wish for their own art.

if anyone wants to bang on someone for talking about Donnelly, why don't you complain to the first guy who brought his name up in complaint or the second guy, seeing as they are the origination of this siderail.

personally, I think the constant ragging on people on CGC is 100% representative of too many people in the comics hobby who just can't act like adults long enough to see the futility of such behavior and Comix4fun is high on that list as I have tangled with him on a number of occasions over the years on this subject, but he still hasn't learned anything from it.

of course, you can always filter out my comments if you don't want to read them. I won't be offended. But if someone wants to attack my positions on any particular subject for the sole reason that they disagree with it, I will go right back at him with the same facts I have stated in this thread. Comix4fun could learn alot from guys like Gene Park & Nelson

Eric, I agree with you and you wouldn't be rading it if Comix4fun didn't attack my position because he hates the Donnellys. He could have just stated his own position, but he choose to belittle mine, which means that I'm going to respond to him in exactly the way I have already responded and I have no doubt that you would do the exact same

and you are entirely incorrect Reader. everyone's experience is important, but I only speak to my own. You can speak to yours if you wish, but I'm not a guy who will go banging on the Donnellys when I have nothing to bang on them about and I'm not the only guy in this thread that agrees that the Donnellys can ask whatever they wish for their own art.

if anyone wants to bang on someone for talking about Donnelly, why don't you complain to the first guy who brought his name up in complaint or the second guy, seeing as they are the origination of this siderail.

personally, I think the constant ragging on people on CGC is 100% representative of too many people in the comics hobby who just can't act like adults long enough to see the futility of such behavior and Comix4fun is high on that list as I have tangled with him on a number of occasions over the years on this subject, but he still hasn't learned anything from it.

of course, you can always filter out my comments if you don't want to read them. I won't be offended. But if someone wants to attack my positions on any particular subject for the sole reason that they disagree with it, I will go right back at him with the same facts I have stated in this thread. Comix4fun could learn alot from guys like Gene Park & Nelson

Boring. Please stop now, and let's get back to the art.

i'm low man on the totem pole and have traded 3 or 4 times with Mr. Burkey. We are talking transactions of like $700, so small peanuts. He was fair with me, answered emails incredibly fast and was pleasant to deal with.

He just told it

I don't have anything else to say. I was defending forum member's right to post their experiences by posting my personal experiences. They were getting attacked in a condescending way and told to "cry" about it somewhere else. The person attacking them can't see what he was doing and instead thinks himself the victim. Since there's a gap in basic understanding there's no point continuing.

From here on in I will "mange" to keep it about this sdcc. lol

I heard Romitaman moved the Steranko Shield # 3 cover on preview night.

Cheers!

N.

Do you know if it sold at the $100K he was asking?

Trade but great stuff, some of which he's already sold.

Someone in CG said the Shield #3 went to Jonathon Ross, the tv & radio presenter.