• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Marvel's "Director's Cut" Comics - Thoughts?

25 posts in this topic

What do you think of these recent "Director's Cut" versions of certain Marvel comics? They may be released concurrently or shortly after the regular version with a higher price tag ($3.99 vs. $2.99 or $2.25) that is supposedly justified by the heavier paper used on the cover, around 10 pages of unpublished sketches and maybe an extra bonus or two (like part of the original -script or the reprint of a previous story).

To the best of my memory, this has been done for Supreme Power #1, Fantastic Four #500, Astonishing X-Men #1 and now...ASM #509 (do we really need a Director's Cut for that book??) Is this a good idea or, as one poster on another message board put it (sentiments echoed by others at my comic shop yesterday), "another cheap and shameful gimmick to get more money out of people"? confused-smiley-013.gif

Personally, I thought the Supreme Power Director's Cut was worth it (reprinted the 1st appearance of the Squadron Supreme, among other things), but I was flipping through the Astonishing X-Men #1 Director's Cut and it looked like there was just a bunch of space-filling garbage. Overall, I'd say I'm opposed to this format, particularly when coupled with the retailer incentives and other variant cover nonsense that is going on. IMO, the benefits of greater choice are far outweighed by the madness that it inspires (as we saw in the early 1990s).

"another cheap and shameful gimmick to get more money out of people"

Either release it in one version or don't release it at all. All of that stuff ends up in the eventual hardcover release anyway.

Kev

I would say it's a bit better than the chromium covers of 10 years ago, as at least there's more in the book than just the cover. But, it's still a money grab. Personally, I still have to like the title in order to pick up the "Director's Cut".

The only positive I see to the director cut books is the addition of new material. I would rather variants come in this form than just slapping a fancy cover on it. The Supreme Power example you use is a good example of what a worth while variant would be. I must throw in an exception: 2nd or later print sketch covers such as Batman 612A or the 4th print of Teen Titans 1. These cost the same and I think the covers are cool. Not necessarily "variants" as you describe but I wanted to mention them.

Marvel initially tried this idea out during the Heroes Return issues. They printed first issues of all the top titles. Then they printed their "Rough Cut" edition, which contained the -script and additional sketches for that issue. I have a couple of those rough cut ones, but they didn't seem to catch the market.

I like the idea of these issues, because of the additional material. Although the FF Directors Cut book wasn't that impressive in content.

Sounds like another way to get people to buy the issue twice. Same with those different cover 2nd printings by DC. 893naughty-thumb.gif

Sure you may get something extra with the Director's Cut but is it a buck's worth of stuff? I believe initially it will be but will quickly morph into a couple of hastily put together [!@#%^&^] "concept" pages.....

The way the companies of going, soon we may be back to the five different covers for the same issue stage..... mad.gif

Jim

It's a little better than justhave multiple covers for the same issue. I think adding the dollar is justified in this case. I agree that Marvel is attempting to again market flash instead of content. They should be focusing their efforts on making the stories more appealing. I would like to see thicker books with longer stories. in each issue.

I think Marvel has been watching DC sell their multiple cover books and wondering how to get in on the variant cover dollars while not repeating the 90's chromium cover mistake and this is their answer. I'm willing to bet if Quesada gets asked about the variant cover question, he'll defend his "Director's Cut" issues as giving the buyer something more and therefore, the book can't be considered a variant. confused-smiley-013.gif

I hope they talk about that one Spidey vs Hulk panel by Deodato... it moved more than both issues of ASM 119 and 120 combined shocked.gif

9.jpg

thumbsup2.gif

Hulk's head is a little small, though. confused-smiley-013.gif

I hope they talk about that one Spidey vs Hulk panel by Deodato... it moved more than both issues of ASM 119 and 120 combined shocked.gif

9.jpg

thumbsup2.gif

Hulk's head is a little small, though. confused-smiley-013.gif

Pin-head Hulk? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif Yeah, you are right there..I was thinking more about the pavement/ground all torn up by Hulk's punch - if you ever played Marvel superHero's vs Capcom/Street Fighter series on PSX or X-box, it calls to mind this sweet special move that Hulk can perform for mega-damage thumbsup2.gif

If only these books really were the "Director's cut". Director's cuts aren't supposed to be filler garbage that was never intended to be part of the story. They're supposed to be the whole story as the director intended it, before it was edited for time contraints or to tighten up the pacing or whatever.

A director's cut comic would be the story as written/drawn before being edited for content and/or length. Are any of these comics that?

If only these books really were the "Director's cut". Director's cuts aren't supposed to be filler garbage that was never intended to be part of the story. They're supposed to be the whole story as the director intended it, before it was edited for time contraints or to tighten up the pacing or whatever.

A director's cut comic would be the story as written/drawn before being edited for content and/or length. Are any of these comics that?

True these aren't really Director's Cut, in the same sense as movies are. Which would be akin to the comic storyline with additional panels of story. These issues seem more like Special Edition books, although not as snappy a title.

True these aren't really Director's Cut, in the same sense as movies are. Which would be akin to the comic storyline with additional panels of story. These issues seem more like Special Edition books, although not as snappy a title.

I got a snappy one....."Deja Vu Comics"...... grin.gif

Jim

No, not really Director's cut like in DVD's but I would still consider the DVD special features like "Deleted scenes" and Director's Commentary/Behind the scenes to be well represented.

It is similar in format to a special feature DVD, but Marvel doesn't convey that. They specifically use the term Director's Cut, which implies a different version of the story as published. Which is not the case.