• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Trolling a comic book thief...

86 posts in this topic

Report the seller...don't be a hero even if trying to be flashy. It will probably backfire.

+1

Doing dishonest things (even to a fraudster) isn't a great recipe for good outcomes.

+ 2 isn't it easier to shoot the guy a message and simply tell him that you'd prefer if he didn't use your pics? he didn't steal your book. You have it (shrug)

A real rogue would send the "money order" certified mail, in order to have a guarantee of "payment" delivery

Perhaps one of the board lawyers could chime in here but that sounds like the "real rogue" setting themselves up for mail fraud at the least..

Mail fraud? For what? Who, exactly, would be the one being defrauded? The guy who is selling the book he doesn't have and is receiving an empty envelope as payment?

:screwy:

Oh, I don't know. Maybe for making a formal report to ebay/paypal that a money order was sent, and using the mail, including certified as you suggested, to send a non-existent money order. Then using the certified mail receipt as evidence?

What, you expect "the law" to say "My gosh, your actions were justified. We know you had no other recourse here so we will ignore this!"? And you call me :screwy:

Wish we had a "living in Imaginationland" emoticon!

Yes, I'm sure you're right. I can definitely see someone getting in huge amounts of trouble for falsely reporting to Paypal the payment of a book he already owns via the Certified Mail system. No need to ruin one's life messing with a stupid would-be criminal

It is like to someone ripping a camera from your shoulder and stealing it. Then you break into their home and take the camera back.

I understand why you do not want him using your photo but calling the person a comic book thief is a bit much.

The first thing I would do is contact the seller and request they stop using your photo. If that doesn't work, report them to eBay. I think they have a specific option for this when you click report.

In the event these two options fail look at their description and see if they are linking directly to the image on your hosting space. If they are, replace the photo with some hugely offensive image and see how long it takes for the seller to pull the auction.

Your plan seems to be a lot of work with little payoff.

FHS

I understand why you do not want him using your photo but calling the person a comic book thief is a bit much.

The first thing I would do is contact the seller and request they stop using your photo. If that doesn't work, report them to eBay. I think they have a specific option for this when you click report.

In the event these two options fail look at their description and see if they are linking directly to the image on your hosting space. If they are, replace the photo with some hugely offensive image and see how long it takes for the seller to pull the auction.

FHS

He is offering to sell the very same book. very same condition, very same CGC ID and all of a key. He is representing a copy of a book that I paid for last week as my own. When I contacted him expressing interest he offered to sell me my own book that I paid for through a legitimate venue. It is irrelevant not as the auction was pulled.

He is a thief. That is the kindest that I can put it without CGC changing everything into **spoon**

FHS

He is offering to sell the very same book. very same condition, very same CGC ID and all of a key. He is representing a copy of a book that I paid for last week as my own. When I contacted him expressing interest he offered to sell me my own book that I paid for through a legitimate venue. It is irrelevant not as the auction was pulled.

He is a thief. That is the kindest that I can put it without CGC changing everything into **spoon**

Did you ask him if the image used in the listing is the actual book, or a photo cobbled from the internet?

Despite having a legitimate gripe and reason to hurl the accusation of image theft, I think it would make a world of difference to confirm this, as I've caught numerous people who have done this out of sheer laziness.

I agree w/ the others about reporting it. It appears that the auction has ended so it isn't an issue anymore.

To those who seem confused, the way I read this is that the seller is actually trying to sell the exact graded book that the OP owns. He isn't just using a picture of his book.

That is like if I went on the WD#1 thread and found a random picture of someone's slab and listed it for sale. I don't actually have a WD#1 in my possession. I would be hoping someone buys it off of ebay and then I'll ship them an empty box and use the delivery confirmation as proof hat I shipped something ( this example is a bit extreme since you would need sig confirmation and insurance as well but you get the idea.)

Using someone else's pictures is lazy and all around bad to do as a seller. I have run into this a few times but when I contact the seller directly, they usually say 'oh that is a stock photo, here is the cgc cert number of the actual one I have. I can send you a photo of it now that I have it in hand.' I usually require that they send me a pic with a post it note that contains my ebay name to prove they have it in their possession at that moment.

Pfff. I think that plan is weak. I suggest moving to the seller's hometown and impregnate his sister, then reveal to him that YOUR comic book scan was the one he used in his listing, and then laugh fiendishly as you drive out of town into the sunset, leaving him with Ebay fees and a b@stard nephew.

That's how you get revenge, my friend.

Pfff. I think that plan is weak. I suggest moving to the seller's hometown and impregnate his sister, then reveal to him that YOUR comic book scan was the one he used in his listing, and then laugh fiendishly as you drive out of town into the sunset, leaving him with Ebay fees and a b@stard nephew.

Sister??? Why think small?

Same plan but with his mom! :devil:

You could show up and find out that the seller is 50 years old, and then you'd really be in trouble.

You could show up and find out that the seller is 50 years old, and then you'd really be in trouble.

What?? He was hoping for an Octogenarian. (thumbs u

th_Emoticon_digging-1.gif

th_Emoticon_digging-1.gif

Haha. Yes, or that.

fertile octogenarian

n. an unrealistic notion that any person (male or female) is capable of having a child no matter at what age, infirmity or physical deficiency. Thus, if property title could not pass to one's child as long as he or she might have or acquire a sibling, then he/she must wait until mother and dad have actually died, unnecessarily tying up the property. Most states have passed laws to cure this anomaly.

Why? Nothing wrong with some slightly brittle pages ;)

fertile octogenarian

n. an unrealistic notion that any person (male or female) is capable of having a child no matter at what age, infirmity or physical deficiency. Thus, if property title could not pass to one's child as long as he or she might have or acquire a sibling, then he/she must wait until mother and dad have actually died, unnecessarily tying up the property. Most states have passed laws to cure this anomaly.

:screwy:

So, he can't have sex with the crooks sister?