• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

X-Men:Days of Future Past movie confirmed
1 1

2,131 posts in this topic

What a hot mess.

Add it to the list of "never see, even if tortured"

I love it.

I'm not expecting X-men #141-142 word for word, a la Watchmen.

Watchmen proves that even the perfect comic movie can't please the fans.

What I am expecting is good acting, good special effects and a storyline that captures the essence of what #141-142 are...and I think they've already done it with the combination of trailer and Trask Industries website.

I'm going to keep expectations low but also am looking forward to it.

First off, Watchmen was not a "perfect" comic movie by any stretch. Second, the average person had no idea what Watchmen was in the first place. Third, it seems the only thing in that trailer that even resembles Days of Future Past is the time travel element. I'm not expecting it to be word for word, or even very close...but how about somewhere in the same ballpark?

Watchmen was listed as one of the top 100 novels of the 20th century, not graphic novels....novels novels. The sales over it's life are in the millions and millions of copies. So I think the average person might have a lot more awareness of what Watchmen was and is.

As much as the X-Men? I would bet you that if we went up to 100 random people on the street more people would know who the X-Men were and it wouldn't even be close.

First off, Watchmen was not a "perfect" comic movie by any stretch.

It was more authentic to the source material than any other movie I can remember being made about comics.

Never saw Sin City or 300?

It probably because Sin City's look was stolen borrowed from noir flicks of the 40's-50's so it being shot that way looked like the book that was meant to look like the movie.

300 is shot just like the book but it wasn't a comic book in the classic tights and capes sense, it was more historical fiction. So even though closely adapted it's not something people consider a comic despite it's origins.

I personally consider them both extremely literal comic book flicks.

What a hot mess.

I love it.

What I am expecting is good acting, good special effects and a storyline that captures the essence of what #141-142 are...and I think they've already done it with the combination of trailer and Trask Industries website.

First off, Watchmen was not a "perfect" comic movie by any stretch. Second, the average person had no idea what Watchmen was in the first place. Third, it seems the only thing in that trailer that even resembles Days of Future Past is the time travel element. I'm not expecting it to be word for word, or even very close...but how about somewhere in the same ballpark?

Watchmen was listed as one of the top 100 novels of the 20th century, not graphic novels....novels novels. The sales over it's life are in the millions and millions of copies. So I think the average person might have a lot more awareness of what Watchmen was and is.

As much as the X-Men? I would bet you that if we went up to 100 random people on the street more people would know who the X-Men were and it wouldn't even be close.

Well there are no Watchmen Underoos or Toothbrushes. They lack Saturday morning cartoon shows and kids Halloween costumes but i was referring to the actual story that was adapted not the merchandising and licensing that makes the characters familiar in a very surface and general sense.

In that way there are WAY more people that were familiar with Watchmen than with any single X-men story arc that was later adapted to film.

The trailer blew chunks. Hoping for the best, anticipating the worst. As with everyone, I too have been hoping for this story to make it to the big screen. I guess we'll all see what Mr. Director is made of.

What a hot mess.

I love it.

Well there are no Watchmen Underoos or Toothbrushes. They lack Saturday morning cartoon shows and kids Halloween costumes but i was referring to the actual story that was adapted not the merchandising and licensing that makes the characters familiar in a very surface and general sense.

In that way there are WAY more people that were familiar with Watchmen than with any single X-men story arc that was later adapted to film.

The point I was trying to make is that Watchmen didn't fail because it was faithful to the comic book, just as X-Men isn't successful because it isn't faithful.

I loved it!

I really like that Singer has brought forward characters that were developed later in the X-Men Universe which would have fit into the Days of Future Past storyline if they had been around prior to its creation. Bishop and Warpath always came across as troubled characters that brought a level of angst which made the characters different than the rest of the X-Men/New Mutants/X-Force team (Bishop with his knowledge of the future, Proudstar due to the death of his brother and then the murder of his tribe).

I just wish they had gone with the SDCC trailer that had Hans Zimmer's "Time" as the music. The bootleg video was amazing to see, and I hope that ends up on the DVD/Blu Ray.

As far as being as good or better than the Captain America trailer, I think they both come across as very interesting and leaving me wanting to see much more of both movies.

:whee::whee:

I'm not feeling it.

The word that comes to mind is "pretentious," and not in a good way.

Maybe it's because, like the Watchmen trailer, it tells you nothing about the plot but instead presumes fanboys will be excited because of their fondness for the Days of Future Past storyline. That, and simply seeing static shots of all those actors/characters makes us grin (Bishop!!)

While the Watchmen trailer did the same, it also had a unique visual style and aesthetic that could intrigue non-fanboys ("hmm...this could be interesting"), this had literally nothing in it for folks unfamiliar with either the prior movies or the characters.

In contrast, the Captain America movie unfolds like a solid espionage thriller and possible critique of the NSA that happens to feature comic book characters. Likewise, the Dark Knight trailer years ago introduced the Joker and hinted at a crime+corruption storyline that happened to feature comic book characters.

Like the direction Singer appears to be going and have high hopes.

Regardless of individual opinion on how close the movie adheres to the source material... I'm still just happy that this much effort is being put into the Marvel Universe in relation to its characters, especially after the early 90's attempts at Punisher, FF and Cap.

Concerning Watchman... loved the movie... but would love to see a "behind the scenes" filmed about it from the perspective of the creators. hm

Seeing a young Val Kilmer play Alan Moore in Oliver Stone's version of what happened would be a dream come true ;)

Wasn't that the same music from one of the Man of Steel trailers?

It appears to be a slight mix of songs (Hans Zimmer's "Time" has a brief instance). But this appears to be the primary song.

John Murphy's "Sunshine (Adagio In D Minor)" that was included in the Sunshine (2007) movie soundtrack.

I'm not feeling it.

The word that comes to mind is "pretentious," and not in a good way.

Maybe it's because, like the Watchmen trailer, it tells you nothing about the plot but instead presumes fanboys will be excited because of their fondness for the Days of Future Past storyline. That, and simply seeing static shots of all those actors/characters makes us grin (Bishop!!)

While the Watchmen trailer did the same, it also had a unique visual style and aesthetic that could intrigue non-fanboys ("hmm...this could be interesting"), this had literally nothing in it for folks unfamiliar with either the prior movies or the characters.

In contrast, the Captain America movie unfolds like a solid espionage thriller and possible critique of the NSA that happens to feature comic book characters. Likewise, the Dark Knight trailer years ago introduced the Joker and hinted at a crime+corruption storyline that happened to feature comic book characters.

I'm not sure how much of the plot they are inclined to give away. I'm not familiar with the story line from the comics, but from the trailer its pretty obvious that it involves time traveling. The dialogue spoken in the trailer explains pretty much exactly what is happening. Obviously it has to remain a bit vague as time traveling movies are usually a bit convoluted to begin with, plus they don't want to give away the villains.

If you aren't invested in the X-Men movies by now, I don't think you ever will be, so I don't know how much this trailer is responsible for attracting new viewers to the franchise. The last film was a logical "jumping on" point for anyone who somehow missed out on the first three movies. If you skipped out on First Class despite that and the fact that it had positive reviews and a notable class, I don't think the franchise will ever get your dollar.

If you skipped out on First Class despite that and the fact that it had positive reviews and a notable class, I don't think the franchise will ever get your dollar.

First class was one of the best Superhero movies ever made to this point. If you could get past the fact that X-men (1963) is not going to be the source material, it was almost impossible not to enjoy.

If you skipped out on First Class despite that and the fact that it had positive reviews and a notable class, I don't think the franchise will ever get your dollar.

First class was one of the best Superhero movies ever made to this point. If you could get past the fact that X-men (1963) is not going to be the source material, it was almost impossible not to enjoy.

I've watched X-Men First Class a few times now, and enjoy it each time.

Sure, it wasn't the original X-Men team from 1963. But if you can get passed that tiny hurdle, it's quite the enjoyable movie with a very interesting cast of characters. Seeing Havok brought into the picture ahead of Cyclops was slightly off. But nothing to the point I needed to turn the film off, and get excited they had just destroyed the entire X-film franchise.

Absolutely.

The side characters such as Azazel, Angel and Riptide were horrible but if you ignore them and pretend they aren't in the movie, X-Men: First Class was fantastic.

The main characters were superb. Fassbender and McAvoy blew me away with their performances.

Edited by KingOfRulers

I've watched X-Men First Class a few times now, and enjoy it each time.

Sure, it wasn't the original X-Men team from 1963. But if you can get passed that tiny hurdle, it's quite the enjoyable movie with a very interesting cast of characters. Seeing Havok brought into the picture ahead of Cyclops was slightly off. But nothing to the point I needed to turn the film off, and get excited they had just destroyed the entire X-film franchise.

And seeing the Hellfire Club on the screen was a pretty cool way to introduce new X-villains into the franchise. Kevin Bacon's take on Sebastian Shaw was a villain you love to hate.

The side characters such as Azazel, Angel and Riptide were horrible but if you ignore them and pretend they aren't in the movie, X-Men: First Class was fantastic.

What didn't you like about Azazel? He looked cool and they used his teleporting in highly interesting ways. Loved the scene where he kept porting the CIA agents up into the air and dropping them.

azazel_01%5B1%5D.jpg