• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Walking dead #1

70 posts in this topic

well, I am just as shocked as Tsimanga. Not so much by the price of #1, but by the price on some of the later issues - saw issues in the 10-30 range IIRC in the selling part of the forum for hundreds of dollars each and some of them had sold I think.

Holy crepe!! I didn't think prices that high were really conceivable on a high number of a modern book. No comment on whether its a good series or not as I've not read it but I am pretty suprised/impressed/shocked at the $$$ on later issues.

"Why is Detective comics 27 worth so much? its not even the first issue"

Really? So we're comparing WD #1 with TEC #27 now... :screwy:

Welcome to the weekly 'what I collect rocks, what you collect sucks thread' :whee:

I wasn't commenting that WD #1 sucks, or what I collect is great. I collect Sad Sacks and Hot stuff. I'm just shocked at the price of a modern book - that's all. It is a comment that would be no different if I posted that I was shocked at the price of ANY particular book.

What's the difference between the black "mature readers" and the white one?

They are both 1st printings no? Is one more highly sought after/valuable, than the other?

The black is an error that was fixed at some point in the production. The white is the corrected version and is the balance of the printing.

"Why is Detective comics 27 worth so much? its not even the first issue"

Really? So we're comparing WD #1 with TEC #27 now... :screwy:

Welcome to the weekly 'what I collect rocks, what you collect sucks thread' :whee:

I wasn't commenting that WD #1 sucks, or what I collect is great. I collect Sad Sacks and Hot stuff. I'm just shocked at the price of a modern book - that's all. It is a comment that would be no different if I posted that I was shocked at the price of ANY particular book.

Depending where you are seated you will find that Katie Perry concert tix are equal to The Who. Is that fact hard to grasp? Fans of whatever willing to out pay the competition. The Superbowl ticket will be high this year and I dont even know who is in it. Suply and demand.

They are both 1st printings no? Is one more highly sought after/valuable, than the other?

The black is an error that was fixed at some point in the production. The white is the corrected version and is the balance of the printing.

I seem to remember that... it's close to pretty evenly split too isn't it (the number of copies of each)?

I seem to remember that... it's close to pretty evenly split too isn't it (the number of copies of each)?

Yeah. There's been speculation on the numbers but if you keep track of what's for sale at any given time, the split is pretty close to even.

You can buy the original art from the WD books for the same price people are paying for 9.8 early issues. Sillyness abounds but then again isn't that why we are all here?

Link?

I haven't seen any OA from early issues available.

You can buy the original art from the WD books for the same price people are paying for 9.8 early issues. Sillyness abounds but then again isn't that why we are all here?

Link?

I haven't seen any OA from early issues available.

well i didnt say the early OA pages - just OA in general. some of the later books you can snap up the art easily and cheaply.

Has anyone ever considered the fact that it is a LOT of cash for a common book? Or should we just jump on the "what you collect rules and what I collect sucks" tangent again? I dont remember the original poster saying you are all for spending, just that he is astonished (like alot of other people) that a modern is going for an extremely high amount of money for something so readily available.

And the series is a great read, but your effin' nuts to spend 2K on a modern. Im not saying you are collecting krap. I am saying that 2 large is alot of money for a book that is so readily available.

Has anyone ever considered the fact that it is a LOT of cash for a common book? Or should we just jump on the "what you collect rules and what I collect sucks" tangent again? I dont remember the original poster saying you are all for spending, just that he is astonished (like alot of other people) that a modern is going for an extremely high amount of money for something so readily available.

And the series is a great read, but your effin' nuts to spend 2K on a modern. Im not saying you are collecting krap. I am saying that 2 large is alot of money for a book that is so readily available.

hm

I'm sure it's been discussed ad nauseam - but I agree with this. It's dependent on how the show continues on and adapts itself to it's audience. Eventually, the amount of people interested in TWD will diminish, and the demand will subside.

Things change, people move on - at some point, TWD will turn the corner and everyone will be onto the next hot variation of zombies. Like "smart" zombies, or zombie game shows.

Let's hope that's not too soon, though. I have half a shortbox of TWD books I have to sell...

hm

Sure 2k is high now - but $300 was madness 18 months ago.

7200 copies exist.

The TV show is rating incredibly well and the most exciting arcs haven't even been started yet.

Early issues #2 - #40 (don't quote me exactly) were from what, 4K to 8K so there really aren't a whole lot about.

Secondary print runs were ignored and TBP's,weeklys,monthlys and compendiums were used.

A fact most commonly overlooked is that a hell of a lot of countries are just being exposed to the comic now - some 10 years after its launch.

The TV show is drawing thousands more towards the comic.

Kirkman wants this to be a 300 issue series minimum.

He will have to really blow chunks to ruin it from here. Its just too big.

And most importantly,its current.

It addresses modern life warts and all, with its language,violence,homosexuality,child abuse,threesomes - in fact drug use is about all thats missing.

Thats the world young 'uns are exposed to by media and peers.

Lastly - TWD and many other moderns have the 3 things that make a story.

A beginning,middle and end.

In TWD a character can only die twice.....how many times have the 'superheroes' carked it.

The only one that has evolved to reflect society in the mainstream is Batman - thats why it does well.

The Avengers did well not because of the history of the characters but because the previous movies had $ millions thrown at them.

Not many new people are buying comics on the back of marvel movies but 10's of thousands are with the walking dead.

I honestly know in my department at work, 7 people who have started buying TWD comic - and the odd copy of something else.

Thats why this comic value will stay around for along time.

I get people collect different era's but I am amazed at the amount of vitriol this book and its collectors and sellers get from some quarters.

Just a different perspective I guess.

No popcorn thanks - I'm not spoiling for an argument here - I mean no offence to anyone,just so we are clear.

hm

7200 copies exist.

The TV show is rating incredibly well and the most exciting arcs haven't even been started yet.

Early issues #2 - #40 (don't quote me exactly) were from what, 4K to 8K so there really aren't a whole lot about.

Secondary print runs were ignored and TBP's,weeklys,monthlys and compendiums were used.

A fact most commonly overlooked is that a hell of a lot of countries are just being exposed to the comic now - some 10 years after its launch.

It addresses modern life warts and all, with its language,violence,homosexuality,child abuse,threesomes - in fact drug use is about all thats missing.

In TWD a character can only die twice.....how many times have the 'superheroes' carked it.

The only one that has evolved to reflect society in the mainstream is Batman - thats why it does well.

The Avengers did well not because of the history of the characters but because the previous movies had $ millions thrown at them.

Not many new people are buying comics on the back of marvel movies but 10's of thousands are with the walking dead.

I honestly know in my department at work, 7 people who have started buying TWD comic - and the odd copy of something else.

I get people collect different era's but I am amazed at the amount of vitriol this book and its collectors and sellers get from some quarters.

No popcorn thanks - I'm not spoiling for an argument here - I mean no offence to anyone,just so we are clear.

:popcorn: Good Points.

Has anyone ever considered the fact that it is a LOT of cash for a common book?

Nope. It's never been discussed on here before. :baiting:

Did you hear about the guy that spent $7K for a 9.9?

There was a boat load of people behind that guy dipping into their wallets too.

hm

7200 copies exist.

:popcorn: Good Points.

Yep but people will still insist that the first appearances of Golden Age Hourman and Silver Age Atom should be bigger keys. :)

I'd consider it but I'm trying to figure out what book you are referring to that is so common. It can't be WD #1 because there are considerably less copies on the census than AF#15 or FF #1.

People who think it's that common are just assuming because it is a modern book. Try finding it at your LCS...I dare ya. :wishluck:

Jim