• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Dealer Rankings 2012

369 posts in this topic

Oh, and while I appreciate the online presence of certain dealers (I just realized that I had made a purchase from Sparkle City, which was an 8.0 X-Men #10, I believe), I've always enjoyed "just checking out the shop," and getting legitimately excited to find something that way.

Just got home from work. . . anything going on in this thread?

Well so far...

41 % of boardies would step over other dead boardies to get Action 1

44 % would go around dead boardies to get Action 1

16 % would cry for dead boardies or give bjs out to convention attendees.

Its been a great night :grin:

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=5903055&fpart=16

I'm flattered to be listed at all on Foolkiller's list and he is way too generous to list me anywhere but at the bottom. I have a regular 8-4:30 job and the comic book business has always been a part time, mail order hobby oriented thing. I only sell what I like (comic books) and I get to talk to hundreds of interesting people. I have no presence at conventions (long boxes of comics are HEAVY and they are all upstairs). I do a couple of print catalogues a year, some sales on eBay, occasionally a few books to Comiclink and a website. But I have run the business - Comics Ina Flash! - for a very long time. About 20 years ago I was invited to be an OPG advisor. I wrote articles regularly for Comic Book Marketplace (first two versions) and semi-regularly for FAN. Maybe I was noticed for some of the above. Again, I'm flattered.

I joined the boards a few years ago looking for information on original art because I was planning on making a purchase or two (for myself) and knew little about the market. I discovered lots knowledgeable collectors discussing tons of interesting things.

I've kept a low profile because the boards and threads are a place for relaxation and fun for me. I see collectors selling their own books on the marketplace forum and do not want in anyway intrude into that. I'm only posting up this because several people have commented that the dealers mentioned should acknowledge the listing/have a presence here.

I've purchased books - and sold books - to many (but no where near all) of the dealers on the list over the years. Foolkiller did a great job putting it together.

I'm flattered to be listed at all on Foolkiller's list and he is way too generous to list me anywhere but at the bottom. I have a regular 8-4:30 job and the comic book business has always been a part time, mail order hobby oriented thing. I only sell what I like (comic books) and I get to talk to hundreds of interesting people. I have no presence at conventions (long boxes of comics are HEAVY and they are all upstairs). I do a couple of print catalogues a year, some sales on eBay, occasionally a few books to Comiclink and a website. But I have run the business - Comics Ina Flash! - for a very long time. About 20 years ago I was invited to be an OPG advisor. I wrote articles regularly for Comic Book Marketplace (first two versions) and semi-regularly for FAN. Maybe I was noticed for some of the above. Again, I'm flattered.

I joined the boards a few years ago looking for information on original art because I was planning on making a purchase or two (for myself) and knew little about the market. I discovered lots knowledgeable collectors discussing tons of interesting things.

I've kept a low profile because the boards and threads are a place for relaxation and fun for me. I see collectors selling their own books on the marketplace forum and do not want in anyway intrude into that. I'm only posting up this because several people have commented that the dealers mentioned should acknowledge the listing/have a presence here.

I've purchased books - and sold books - to many (but no where near all) of the dealers on the list over the years. Foolkiller did a great job putting it together.

Great post! (thumbs u

A lot of what you said about your participation in the collecting community resonates with my own involvement in my 25+ years in the hobby.

Funny thing, I was just reminiscing yesterday when I found the first Overstreet price guide (No 17) I purchased from a comic shop. I often went into comic shops asking if I could look-up a book in the guide and I guess I got tired of having to wait around for them to find it and finally bought my own.

Anyhow, on your point that you may not contribute as often, I do recognize and have noticed your participation in past threads. I understand many of us have several jobs and it isn't always possible to participate in discussions or topics that evolve on these message boards and others.

I think what matters most is when certain issues do arise, that dealers in this hobby make the effort to answer or respond to the gripes or missteps because eventually those issues will be rehashed or brought up if they remain unresolved.

Hi Tony :hi:

One thing I've always wondered, is that a Star Trek uniform you are wearing in your photo in the Overstreet Advisors section? :wishluck:

One thing I've always wondered, is that a Star Trek uniform you are wearing in your photo in the Overstreet Advisors section? :wishluck:

Made me laugh! Thank you.

When Geppi/Diamond bought Overstreet, that first year he invited all the advisors out. Gary Carter (editor of Overstreet Comic Book Marketplace) told us they would be taking pictures of the advisors to include in the guide.

So the first day I'm in a suit. No picture and no mention of pictures. The second day I'm in dress shirt, slacks and a tie. No pictures and no mention of pictures. Day three we are all going home and I figure the pictures are not happening. I'm dressed in jeans (and ridiculous) shirt you see. Hey - it was quite stylish nearly 20 years ago :blush:

I never realized until just now the Star Trek angle...

Made me laugh! Thank you.

When Geppi/Diamond bought Overstreet, that first year he invited all the advisors out. Gary Carter (editor of Overstreet Comic Book Marketplace) told us they would be taking pictures of the advisors to include in the guide.

So the first day I'm in a suit. No picture and no mention of pictures. The second day I'm in dress shirt, slacks and a tie. No pictures and no mention of pictures. Day three we are all going home and I figure the pictures are not happening. I'm dressed in jeans (and ridiculous) shirt you see. Hey - it was quite stylish nearly 20 years ago :blush:

I never realized until just now the Star Trek angle...

lol

I was at the meeting and got to speak with you briefly. I've since sent them a more recent picture for inclusion, as the one that had been in there in the 90s was no longer representative, and didn't act like the portrait of Dorian Gray on me, the way Richard's does for him. :(

Bob may not want to comment due to conflict of interest but i will on his behalf as he is as good as they come. He is the exact opposite of every stereotype comic shop dealer. Absolutely PERFECT customer service in every way! You cant possibly go wrong EVER buying from him! (thumbs u

4 of the top 10 surprisingly i guess ive never even done business with. Of the 6 i have done business with, i'd give A+++'s to Clink, Commicconnect, Heritage, Highgradecomics and Mycomicshop. All 5 of them have gone above and beyond helping me out with books i want and need and I would NEVER hesitate to give my money to them.

The 6th is Worldwide comics. I wont rehash the same old thing like in last years thread as i've somewhat gotten over what happened. I will say that Ritter did try to help resolve the problem and was at least courteous and responded to my emails and addressed my concerns over what happened. Because of Ritters more than courteous replies, i will still give them my business.

Matt Nelson on the other hand, i have NOTHING whatsoever positive to say about. To this day(well over a year later!) i still have never received a response to the numerous emails i sent him about my problem with him. The closest i ever got was a condescending post on here to the affect that i didnt send enough emails. I know plenty of people love him but to me he is the definition of whats wrong with this hobby. The day Ritter severs ties with him is the day he will get 10 times as much business from me (thumbs u

Jason, seriously. It was my fault. I made the error. I refunded your money. Hammering on Matt Nelson is ridiculous. I don't even know if he ever saw the book. Maybe I sent it to a different person and that person never let me know. Maybe I sold it previously and didn't realize it and relisted it. What ever happened, though, so much anger and drama targeted at the wrong person isn't appropriate. I apologized in this forum previously and you sent me a PM saying you had been out of line and apologized back. Maybe it is time for you to take a step back, do a little fact checking, and put this back into perspective. If you want to place me as your most hated dealer, I'm okay with that.

Wow! I guess Sufunk owes Matt a apology.

I like this guy.

I like this guy.

I like you Balls :foryou:

I like this guy.

I like you Balls :foryou:

:sick:

Bob may not want to comment due to conflict of interest but i will on his behalf as he is as good as they come. He is the exact opposite of every stereotype comic shop dealer. Absolutely PERFECT customer service in every way! You cant possibly go wrong EVER buying from him! (thumbs u

4 of the top 10 surprisingly i guess ive never even done business with. Of the 6 i have done business with, i'd give A+++'s to Clink, Commicconnect, Heritage, Highgradecomics and Mycomicshop. All 5 of them have gone above and beyond helping me out with books i want and need and I would NEVER hesitate to give my money to them.

The 6th is Worldwide comics. I wont rehash the same old thing like in last years thread as i've somewhat gotten over what happened. I will say that Ritter did try to help resolve the problem and was at least courteous and responded to my emails and addressed my concerns over what happened. Because of Ritters more than courteous replies, i will still give them my business.

Matt Nelson on the other hand, i have NOTHING whatsoever positive to say about. To this day(well over a year later!) i still have never received a response to the numerous emails i sent him about my problem with him. The closest i ever got was a condescending post on here to the affect that i didnt send enough emails. I know plenty of people love him but to me he is the definition of whats wrong with this hobby. The day Ritter severs ties with him is the day he will get 10 times as much business from me (thumbs u

Jason, seriously. It was my fault. I made the error. I refunded your money. Hammering on Matt Nelson is ridiculous. I don't even know if he ever saw the book. Maybe I sent it to a different person and that person never let me know. Maybe I sold it previously and didn't realize it and relisted it. What ever happened, though, so much anger and drama targeted at the wrong person isn't appropriate. I apologized in this forum previously and you sent me a PM saying you had been out of line and apologized back. Maybe it is time for you to take a step back, do a little fact checking, and put this back into perspective. If you want to place me as your most hated dealer, I'm okay with that.

Wow! I guess Sufunk owes Matt a apology.

Well, those are nice stories but i have no idea where they came from. Sorry but thats just Jeff covering for a buddy in Matt. From day one, actually day two after i received the box with the missing book not present, the story i was ALWAYS given was that the book WAS received by WW, cracked out by Ritter because it had 9.8 potential and then sent to Matt to try and press up to a 9.8. I was just supposed to wait a few months for it to come back from CGC and all would be good.

Thats a HELL of a lot to just make up out of nowhere if you maybe didnt even own the book at the time Jeff! It was VERY clear what happened to the book at the time it happened and where it was. After almost 2 years, now the story is changing and maybe Jeff didnt even own it or maybe Matt never even got it or maybe WWC never even got it either and cracked it?

Its commendable to stand up for your friends but revisionist history aint helping (thumbs u