• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Shipping comics via media mail

26 posts in this topic

I have had several "encounters" with my local post office regarding the shipment of comics via media mail. According to them, comics do not meet the requirements of media mail and are therefore, not allowed to be shipped under media mail rates. To me, this costs buyers too much in shipping charges as the next cheapest rate is parcel post. I am currently unable to use any other shipping carrier. I recently had one online person strongly suggest that they do meet the requirements. Any advice out there from the professionals? Yell at me if this topic has already been covered.

Thanks!

Always trust your neighborhood Post Master,...he is friendly and knowledgable,...and in this case correct,..because comic books contain advertisements they are ineligible for media mail shipping,....

yep, my local post office says comics aren't supposed to go media mail.

I used to ship by media mail and simply labeled the box as books. But, the PO stopped a friend from shipping media mail after he found out they were comics.

So I guess I won't be using that service anymore....although some folks will request it. A good question is what to do if a buyer does ask...obviously not with any high dollar books...but cheap moderns, hmm? maybe confused.gif

in my experience, my post master has no problem with it. media mail books are defined as at least eight pages in length with less than 50% total advertising. because comic books have ads, doesn't disqualify them, as most ads that appear in comcis are expired. it is ok to ship media, but i guess it depends on post office.

by the way, to avoid any of this, if you are shipping less than a pound, you can buy an 80cent,60cent, and 2 onecent stamps, mark the envelope media mail and drop it in the mailbox. they'll take it that way! cool.gif

Always trust your neighborhood Post Master,...he is friendly and knowledgable,...and in this case correct,..because comic books contain advertisements they are ineligible for media mail shipping,....

I think they qualify for mailing as "Bound Printed Matter". It may be slightly more expensive (or even cheaper - depending on weight and distance) than "Media Mail", but is relatively cheap, particularly for heavier packages.

The following is a definition of Bound Printed Matter that came from a USPS site:

Bound Printed Matter

Description

The maximum weight for Bound Printed Matter is 15 pounds. Rates are based on weight, shape, and distance. The maximum size is 108 inches in combined length and distance around the thickest part.

Mark each package "Bound Printed Matter" in the postage area.

Bound Printed Matter must:

a. Consist of advertising, promotional, directory, or editorial material (or any combination of such material).

b. Be securely bound by permanent fastenings such as staples, spiral binding, glue, or stitching. Looseleaf binders and similar fastenings are not considered permanent.

c. Consist of sheets of which at least 90% are imprinted by any process other than handwriting or typewriting with words, letters, characters, figures, or images (or any combination of them).

d. Not have the nature of personal correspondence.

e. Not be stationery, such as pads of blank printed forms.

I think they qualify for mailing as "Bound Printed Matter". It may be slightly more expensive (or even cheaper - depending on weight and distance) than "Media Mail", but is relatively cheap, particularly for heavier packages.

The following is a definition of Bound Printed Matter that came from a USPS site:

Bound Printed Matter

Description

The maximum weight for Bound Printed Matter is 15 pounds. Rates are based on weight, shape, and distance. The maximum size is 108 inches in combined length and distance around the thickest part.

Mark each package "Bound Printed Matter" in the postage area.

Bound Printed Matter must:

a. Consist of advertising, promotional, directory, or editorial material (or any combination of such material).

b. Be securely bound by permanent fastenings such as staples, spiral binding, glue, or stitching. Looseleaf binders and similar fastenings are not considered permanent.

c. Consist of sheets of which at least 90% are imprinted by any process other than handwriting or typewriting with words, letters, characters, figures, or images (or any combination of them).

d. Not have the nature of personal correspondence.

e. Not be stationery, such as pads of blank printed forms.

Major downfall to this method is this

"Unendorsed Package Services, mail that is refused or is otherwise undeliverable will be returned to the sender rated postage due, except for Bound Printed Matter. Unendorsed, undeliverable Bound Printed Matter is disposed of at the local office."

The Post Office tries to deliver it once, if they fail they do not resend it to you they throw it away. So you have no idea where it went if something goes wrong. BPM is consistent with mass mailing.and the post office treats it as such much rubbish.

I have been sending comic books by media mail for 4 years now and my clerks and post masters know whats in there and let me mail it. confused-smiley-013.gif

Whenever I ask, they say I can't ship it media but if I tell them they are books I never have a problem. The front person won't be the one to open it so tell them that you are willing to risk it being returned. Keep sticking to your story about them being books. Some comics don't have ads like old Disney's, but even those that do, if the ads are expired its now part of the book IMO.

Ask the lady at the front what they do about text books on advertising. Then watch her bureaucratic head explode thinking that one through.

I have heard this many times from seller in the past, but as a seller myself on occasion, I have never ever had a problem sending them media. As a matter of fact no one has ever asked me what I am shipping other than the standard....is the item.... Fragile, Liquid, Hazardous or Perishable???

From everything I've read on these boards about it, it depends on the post office, because some have asked and it's been o.k, while others have asked and it hasn't. There are some here who almost give themselves a hernia condeming it, and some here who do the same thing defending it.

Just thought I'd throw my two cents in... A couple of things to keep in mind here are that while you're checking with your local post office about the validity of mailing comics media mail, according to what I've read and been told, the package can be inspected anywhere along the route from sender to receiver to verify if the contents qualify for media mail rate. So while your postmaster may say "OK", a postmaster in Carson City or Tuscaloosa may say "NO WAY" and send it back through the channels to your doorstep.

Secondly, while media mail and bound printed matter rates are cheaper the delivery time is also longer in most cases and variable. From what I understand packages marked "media mail" and "bound printed matter" are shipped in bulk. They are thrown into a marked bag and when the bag is full the pieces are routed to the next delivery center. When I used "media mail" to ship CDs, sometimes they would arrive in 3 to 4 days, other times it would take 2 to 3 weeks. Regardless of either tier you use, I would highly recommend insuring any value over $50 as well as adding delivery confirmation.

For the record, I will ship to customers using media mail if they request it, but I make them understand that while it is cheaper it will take longer and if the package is returned to me, they will be responsible for paying additional postage to have the package shipped to them using a service of my choice (typically First Class Mail for small orders and single books, Priority Mail and UPS ground for larger orders).

USPS will be getting NONE of my business under my DBA. I'm now in the biggest fiasco with processing an insured claim to Australia that never even made it to the border. pee-poor customer service, and their tracking system is a joke. Even if I lose money shipping money to my customers, I will use a shipping company that gives a damn.

Sorry for the rant.

BTW, if you see an Amazing Spider-man #45 CGC 9.4 White pages with serial #0018380006 let me know.

I stopped using media mail because it just did not give me a peace of mind. I mean, if any postal clerk along the way decides to inspect, and in their personal opinion they think comic books are not allowed, they will kick it back. The more packages you send via media mail, the higher the probability that one will be inspected.

For large comic lots, I switched to UPS. For about the same price as USPS parcel post, you get package tracking plus up to $100 of insurance. And, now that Mailboxes Etc is owned by UPS, I can do all the paperwork on my computer and just drop off at the shop down the street - no lines, no waiting.

When I ask for media mail I've never had a problem. On the rare occasion I'm asked what I'm shipping I tell them "books".

I have "just enough" faith to believe they are competent enough to send packages on a domestic basis. I will never use them to send International again, and it will be a cold day in hades before I use them on any basis (including domestic).

I just got off the phone and I've submitted my claim on 4/15. Well, it's 7/1 and all they can tell me is that "we have your claim". They are still working on January's claims. So, after waiting another two+ months, I may then get an "investigation started". Then I will wait up to another 60 days while the target country responds. At this rate, I may be reimbursed by the end of the year. 893censored-thumb.gif

Ironically, they use the mail system to send me status.

Just want to give everyone a reality check should you actually lose a package in the system and need to file a claim. It sucks. BTW, I've checked UPS and their process seems very streamlined by comparison.

When I ask for media mail I've never had a problem. On the rare occasion I'm asked what I'm shipping I tell them "books".

I have "just enough" faith to believe they are competent enough to send packages on a domestic basis. I will never use them to send International again, and it will be a cold day in hades before I use them on any basis (including domestic).

I just got off the phone and I've submitted my claim on 4/15. Well, it's 7/1 and all they can tell me is that "we have your claim". They are still working on January's claims. At this rate, I may be reimbursed by the end of the year. 893censored-thumb.gif

Of all the buying and selling transactions I've had on Ebay I've only ever had one package lost. I was the buyer in that case. Just lucky I guess. 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

893censored-thumb.gif the local Post Master

Great responses. I have had about 3 packages inspected and returned to me. I guess they are on to me. It all reminds me of the Seinfeld episode when Newman tries to get Jerry in trouble for mail fraud. Yea, it does appear to be based on the post office in question. My PO has been a real stickler. I will have to live with it I guess and maybe try to sneak one by them once in a while. It sucks to have to use parcel post though as my customers are getting ripped off.

Great responses. I have had about 3 packages inspected and returned to me. I guess they are on to me. It all reminds me of the Seinfeld episode when Newman tries to get Jerry in trouble for mail fraud. Yea, it does appear to be based on the post office in question. My PO has been a real stickler. I will have to live with it I guess and maybe try to sneak one by them once in a while. It sucks to have to use parcel post though as my customers are getting ripped off.

If they want to be asses take your business somewhere else. Apparently they forgot that other companies can do their job, and do it better.

use bound printed matter if local PO is giving you a hassle with media mail. I live by it in order to offer my customers lower shipping rates, but it is not as easy and hassle free as priority. With heavy packages, the BPM rates start getting close to media mail rates anyway...

just be aware that they do ship these like bulk mail and if you want it returned to you, mark it with "return address service requested" somewhere near your return address...

my feelings on media mail: Love it, never had a problem with it, you need to have patience at times.

Post Office: love it - can't think of and actually wince in pain when I consider the alternatives and the prices I'm paying in order to get butt-raped by these guys...

Insurance claims - always a hassle; my one experience where I had filed a claim against a Dynamic Forces shipment - they kept the book and paid me 6 months after the initial finling of the paperwork. confused-smiley-013.gif NOw however, I've been offering my customers stamps.com insurance where the issue gets resolved within 7 days and either I can send the money back to thebuyer or have an answer as to why I can't reimburse based on their claim.