• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Fantastic Four Characters Could Go Back to Marvel

33 posts in this topic

http://www.variety.com/article/VR1118057507?refCatId=13

The clock is ticking for 20th Century Fox to put its "Daredevil" reboot into production before character rights revert to Marvel -- but Fox chairman Tom Rothman and Marvel brass have been talking about a tradeoff that would allow the comicbook franchise to remain at Fox past its Oct. 10 deadline.

One reason for the backroom dealings: Fox is in discussions with Joe Carnahan to direct what's been described as a "Frank Miller-esque, hardcore 70s thriller" take on blind Hell's Kitchen superhero Matt Murdock -- a vision that would deviate from Disney/Marvel's family-friendly tone. Carnahan has yet to receive an official offer, though multiple sources tell Variety that he's the choice.

But Fox also has something Marvel wants.

Sources say Marvel would give Fox more time to make "Daredevil" in return for the rights to use characters from the "Fantastic Four" universe, including the giant, world-devouring supervillain Galactus, rumored to play a key role in future Marvel pics. Marvel is also eyeing future use of the Silver Surfer, who in the comicbooks brokered a deal to serve as Galactus' herald in order to save his home planet.

Fox owns rights to the Silver Surfer as part of its deal for "Fantastic Four," which the studio is also rebooting with "Chronicle" helmer Josh Trank.

At this point, the ball is said to be in Fox's court, with talks expected to resume later this week. But as of right now, Fox needs to start lensing by the Oct. 10 deadline to keep "Daredevil" in-house.

Neither Fox, Marvel nor reps for Carnahan would comment on the dealings.

David Slade was previously attached to direct the "Daredevil" reboot, which boasts a recent draft by David James Kelly. Chernin Entertainment is producing the pic.

"Daredevil" would mark a return to the Fox lot for Carnahan, who butted heads with the studio while directing "The A-Team"; the two sides appear to have worked out their differences. After the success Open Road Films had with Carnahan's Liam Neeson-starrer "The Grey," Fox quickly began developing Carnahan's actioner "Continue," which was believed to be his next project. CAA-repped helmer is also developing a fresh take on "Death Wish" for MGM.

Fantastic Four back to Marvel is more of a prize than Daredevil, Which is why Marvel is willing to let Daredevil slide a bit longer. Marvel Studios would make a proper FF movie as well have crossovers with other films. Which would be pretty amazing.

Fantastic Four back to Marvel is more of a prize than Daredevil, Which is why Marvel is willing to let Daredevil slide a bit longer. Marvel Studios would make a proper FF movie as well have crossovers with other films. Which would be pretty amazing.

Just what I was thinking. +1

I hope Marvel gets back FF and it's arsenal of characters.

I think you guys have misread it. It doesn't say they would get back the Fantastic Four. It says they could get back characters FROM the Fantastic Four such as Galactus and Surfer.

Yep, that was my take on it too. (thumbs u

It's not even GET BACK Characters. I think it says to USE characters from the Fantastic Four Stable.

FOX would still have the right to include those same characters in any future Fantastic Four movie.

I think you guys have misread it. It doesn't say they would get back the Fantastic Four. It says they could get back characters FROM the Fantastic Four such as Galactus and Surfer.

We need those two for Marvel to take a run at Infinity Gauntlet. Galactus for the recognition of cosmic beings, and Silver Surfer to be the expositional narrative.

I think most don't realize that Fox owns Nova and I think Marvel wants him more than Silver Surfer and Galactus. Nova was part of the deal with Fox for the Fantastic Four characters.

The Skrulls and Kree are owned by both Fox and Marvel. Both can used by any studio if needed.

It's not even GET BACK Characters. I think it says to USE characters from the Fantastic Four Stable.

FOX would still have the right to include those same characters in any future Fantastic Four movie.

That sounds like the way Movie Giants used to trade stars and let them have pictures with their rivials ala Clark Gable

Sounds like a win win

I read this on Comic Book Resources and from what it sounds like, they are offering Fox an extension in exchange for the Galactus and Silver Surfer characters. I'm sure there are more characters in discussion, but doesn't sound like Fantastic Four is in those discussions.

I wasn't aware Nova was with Fox. With the word that Nova is to be a representative of the Guardians of the Galaxy in the movie, I'm sure they are working him into the deal as well.

I think Fox needs to let some of the character rights go back to Marvel/Disney.

Let Fox keep the Fantastic Four & others in exchange for Galactus,Silver Surfer,and Nova.

I know some may not like it,but I think in the long run it's good for both parties 2c

I read this on Comic Book Resources and from what it sounds like, they are offering Fox an extension in exchange for the Galactus and Silver Surfer characters. I'm sure there are more characters in discussion, but doesn't sound like Fantastic Four is in those discussions.

I wasn't aware Nova was with Fox. With the word that Nova is to be a representative of the Guardians of the Galaxy in the movie, I'm sure they are working him into the deal as well.

Nova was never mentioned as part of the Guardians of the Galaxy movie by Marvel. Media assumed that he was. So everyone thinks that he is on the team. Groot, Rocket Racoon, Starlord, Gamora & Drax the Destroyer are the only characters mentioned.

They want the Surfer...

There are two books that are still on my radar.

Action 41 and nice copies of FF 48 49 and 50...

The Surfer will eventually be an amazing movie.

Nova was never mentioned as part of the Guardians of the Galaxy movie by Marvel. Media assumed that he was. So everyone thinks that he is on the team. Groot, Rocket Racoon, Starlord, Gamora & Drax the Destroyer are the only characters mentioned.

It's the only reason I can think of for Nova to get a hard push in the Marvel Now! relaunch.

The Frankie Raye Nova that Fox owns is a different character from the Nova that appears in GOTG.

Is the fact that name is the same going to be a problem, since we're talking about two different characters?

The Frankie Raye Nova that Fox owns is a different character from the Nova that appears in GOTG.

Is the fact that name is the same going to be a problem, since we're talking about two different characters?

Touché

Sorry, I just realized that I got the wrong Nova. :facepalm: Anyways, Marvel announced a couple of days ago all the characters that will be involved in the Guardians of the Galaxy movie and Nova is not one of them.