• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Red Sonja Fan Club
5 5

1,280 posts in this topic

I think the problem is that they were never preserved. I was looking at eBay UK today for some, and there's quite a few around, but the condition was pretty low on most. Basically reader copies, and you can get U.S. copies of those for a buck or two. So why pay for the shipping just to get a low grade copy? I mean they're not impossible to find and a 6.0 or 7.0 doesn't seem to be worth the trouble. I think the best one I saw was an 8.5, but like most bronze age books, if it's not a 9.8 (or higher) no one wants them. Even a 9.6 in most cases is a death sentence, and not worth the cost of grading. It's crazy I know, but even the four 9.8's I need to finish my set of Vol. 1 are impossible to find, yet raw copies are everywhere in low grade. Going to be even harder to find pence copies in that high grade. The ones you have now may be the only ones to ever get graded. So at least you have that going for you. You just have to keep on hunting them down.

I am a happy camper today !!!!!

There is a nice story with the 24

I bought it from comicana in uk

So the problem was I had 2 and what one to send in ?

Well the comicana book looked the best BUT had a defect ???

Seems it was graded poorly and they missed indentations (no way they could of seen the problems ) in the back cover

It was realy realy hard to see them with out tilting the book in sun light and staring for 2 or 3 minutes

How hard to see? I asked Joe at cfp comics if he got them out and he said --- What pencil dents ? That how hard they were to see

So

My problem was 1 book looked realy great 1 looked fantastic with pencil dents -- I sent the one with dents and it pressed out to 9.4 !!!!!!

OMG

Comic collecting can be fun !!

136012.png.104fd6e701ede0c424f88b4ec07376a9.png

136013.png.c8170581156120d489ca7be21f8e3a2f.png

Edited by gyro-1

Ever see this? Apparently quite rare, and expensive. Especially for a hardcover copy with the dust jacket, but look who it is to the left of Sue Storm. Our gal painted by the great John Romita Sr. Reprints Marvel Feature Vol. 2 #4.

photo T2eC16hsE9swmcMgDBQQ90uOLV60_57_zpsc87252e2.jpg

very cool

you say it is a coffee table book? (big)

I wonder if marvel paid the writers and artists when they used the same storys over and over?

Back then, absolutely not. Today, it depends on when the original story was published and the contract the writer/artist were working under.

Edited by rjrjr

Seems it was graded poorly and they missed indentations (no way they could of seen the problems ) in the back cover

It was realy realy hard to see them with out tilting the book in sun light and staring for 2 or 3 minutes

How hard to see? I asked Joe at cfp comics if he got them out and he said --- What pencil dents ? That how hard they were to see

So

My problem was 1 book looked realy great 1 looked fantastic with pencil dents -- I sent the one with dents and it pressed out to 9.4 !!!!!!

OMG

Can I just point out that the #24 that was 'graded poorly' was actually sold as a FN/VF...7.0...because of the indents. :/

A nice little back cover press to iron out stuff Joe couldn't see at first glance and it's now a 9.4? I'd say we were harsh with our original grade.

So

OMG

Just talked to nick at Comicana

he sent this --

And by the way, in that thread you state ''Seems it was graded poorly and they missed indentations (no way they could of seen the problems ) in the back cover' but in fact we did see the problems and that's why we only graded it at FN/VF (7.0).

WOW

He is the man those were hard to see !!!

Apology's to his crew in England

:)

So

OMG

And just to add - and hopefully Randy doesn't mind - but that 9.4 #23 was also bought from us.

As a VF (8.0)

very cool

you say it is a coffee table book? (big)

I wonder if marvel paid the writers and artists when they used the same storys over and over?

Yeah, it's a biggy! There are TPB versions too that are much cheaper, but finding a first edition hardcover with the dust jacket is near impossible, and the price is outrageous. Reprints many stories featuring the main female characters from the Marvel Universe. If you can think of one, she's in there. At least up to '77 when it was produced.

I think back then the artists and writers were paid to do the job, and once paid, Marvel owned the stories so they could do whatever they wanted with them. Dynamite owns Red Sonja now, and they have reprinted all of the old stories in the, "Classic Red Sonja Remastered" books. Issue #50 even reprints Red Sonja #1. I doubt they paid the artists and writers once they paid Marvel for the rights to publish, but Maroto, Romita and Brunner have done covers for Dynamite's Red Sonja books. So while they may not be getting royalties for their previous Marvel work, at least Dynamite had respect enough to have them do some amazing covers for the newer series.

The Dynamite Red Sonja books definitely have the sexier covers and better presentation but as a cgc collectable I cant get myself to pay the cash

I really liked the one you sold on ebay the other day Wizard

but world wide got my money before I saw it :)