• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

When the post office shuts down...

47 posts in this topic

Their service is spiraling downhill from my perspective. During the last year I've started getting other people's mail at least once a month, and over the last two weeks, I've gotten four pieces of mail that are someone else's. Wrong street but right number, right street but wrong number...the errors are all over the board. I presume carriers are getting pushed to work harder and faster than in the past to cut costs, so quality is beginning to fly out the window. :ohnoez:

It's to the point where I'm hesitant to order from Amazon for fear that my neighbors will get my stuff instead of me. :eek:

A lot of people in the Post Office are retiring before they change the terms of the retirement. We are currently experiencing a changing of the guard type of situation where newly hired people are trying to work out the kinks.

That may be - we actually didn't have our mail delivered yesterday at our office - maybe because the carrier was busy? Didn't have time? I don't know - but it's unusual to not have mail delivered. It's a business - we get mail daily, and have mail going out daily.

I just had two nightmare trips to the post office trying to send parcels to other countries. First, I didn't have paper tape to seal the boxes. Then, when I came back I used *adhesive* paper tape, and that's not allowable - only the water/glue tape. Their prices are different at the counter than they are online. A little frustrating because I got the packaging wrong, but also frustrating and annoying that I blew $5 on paper tape, and it wasn't the *right* tape.

I'm not sure who I will use if/when they go under, but I do know that I'm done sending international. If I can't buy postage online and drop it off, I'm not shipping it. Whomever has the most straight-forward, least hassle method is where I'm going.

I think my post office does a good job. I've been fortunate to not have many errors. It's really a tough job in my opinion. They really need to figure out how to fix this though. THey can't keep losing 5 billion every quarter.

They should close the office on Mondays, eliminate media rate, cut an hour out of the day, raise the rates a little bit and eliminate home delivery on one day out of the week except for Saturdays.

Their service is spiraling downhill from my perspective. During the last year I've started getting other people's mail at least once a month, and over the last two weeks, I've gotten four pieces of mail that are someone else's. Wrong street but right number, right street but wrong number...the errors are all over the board. I presume carriers are getting pushed to work harder and faster than in the past to cut costs, so quality is beginning to fly out the window. :ohnoez:

It's to the point where I'm hesitant to order from Amazon for fear that my neighbors will get my stuff instead of me. :eek:

The summer is rough on the Post office as most of their regulars take vacations and the number of casual temp workers increases .

Amazon doesn't work with the Post Office. It has exclusive cointracts with UPS, as far as I know.

I'm not sure what percentage of their volume is media mail, so eliminating it wouldn't do much for their problems. In major areas, they simply have too many Post Offices.

From my house in Mineola, I live 3/4 of a mile from the Mineola PO, 3/4 of a mile from the Williston Park PO, 1 1/2 miles from the Albertson PO, 2 miles from the Garden City PO, 2 miles from the New Hyde Park PO, and just over 2 miles from the main PO for Western Nassau, located in Garden City, a few blocks from the Garden City PO. Theres another PO about 2 miles away northwest of me, but i'm not sure what it is called. Its in New Hyde Park, but has another name.

Each of these has a Post Master, at least two Assistant Post Masters, and a full compliment of clerks, mail handlers and carriers.

You could easily eliminate at least two of these , eliminate six to ten high paying salaries and sell the properties. A building the size of a PO, with its parking would bring in several million dollars on Long Island and most places, even in these tough times.

Eliminate 2% of the Post Offices, eliminate 2% of the adminstrators, sell 2% of the Postal propertys and you'd go a long way towards curing thir ills.

I'm not sure what percentage of their volume is media mail, so eliminating it wouldn't do much for their problems. In major areas, they simply have too many Post Offices.

From my house in Mineola, I live 3/4 of a mile from the Mineola PO, 3/4 of a mile from the Williston Park PO, 1 1/2 miles from the Albertson PO, 2 miles from the Garden City PO, 2 miles from the New Hyde Park PO, and just over 2 miles from the main PO for Western Nassau, located in Garden City, a few blocks from the Garden City PO. Theres another PO about 2 miles away northwest of me, but i'm not sure what it is called. Its in New Hyde Park, but has another name.

Each of these has a Post Master, at least two Assistant Post Masters, and a full compliment of clerks, mail handlers and carriers.

You could easily eliminate at least two of these , eliminate six to ten high paying salaries and sell the properties. A building the size of a PO, with its parking would bring in several million dollars on Long Island and most places, even in these tough times.

Eliminate 2% of the Post Offices, eliminate 2% of the adminstrators, sell 2% of the Postal propertys and you'd go a long way towards curing thir ills.

Forget about the Fed Gov, Nassau County should do several things to embrace the mid thirty's crowd to buy permanently out here on LI. Many of my friends gave up hope and moved out to Suffolk or the city. One of my friends just bought a house out in Sayville and is commuting to work each day making an hour and a half ride on the LIRR each way. I am a flip of the coin away from doing the same, moving to Jersey or Upstate NY and commuting to Manhattan each day or God help me... buying a house in Queens.

Amazon doesn't work with the Post Office. It has exclusive cointracts with UPS, as far as I know.

I don't look closely at the boxes I get, but I do know my Amazon shipments are sitting in my mailbox. UPS can't leave things in your mailbox, can they? I thought only the postal service could--which I've always thought was an unfair competitive advantage, by the way, I don't see why UPS and FedEx or other carriers (but nobody else) shouldn't be allowed to use people's mail boxes.

When they go under someone will come in behind them and buy up the assets from the government at ten cents on the dollar at auction and reopen approximately 35% of the offices. They will indeed raise the prices, eliminate Saturday service all together and there will no longer be such a thing as media mail.

Welcome to United Postal Express. UPEx :thumbsup:

The summer is rough on the Post office as most of their regulars take vacations and the number of casual temp workers increases .

Amazon uses USPS, Fedex, UPS and several other shipping companies, they have no "exclusive" contract with any of these.

They should close the office on Mondays, eliminate media rate, cut an hour out of the day, raise the rates a little bit and eliminate home delivery on one day out of the week except for Saturdays.

A very realistic solution, because - god forbid - the executives that got them into the red take a pay cut. :mad: