• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

X-Men #94 vs. House of Secrets #92: Help me choose...

118 posts in this topic

You can find X-men #94 pretty easy as it appears for sale all the time.

I have lots of copies

I hardly ever see HOS #92 in comparison, I only have 1 copy.

so for that reason I would go HOM #92

I will eventually get both. Right now I am leaning towards HOS 92, but prices gave been flat on this book for awhile. I really do not think a probable 'Swamp Thing' movie will ever be released.

That being said X-Men 94 would look great next to my GS X-Men 1!

Kind Regards,

'mint'

I only collect high grade CGC comic books.

/quote]

This is your first mistake. Your question seems to be about money, so I would suggest diversifying your approach and not sinking all your money into the hg bronze market. Low and mid grade sa keys and desirable low-grade ga like pre-robin tecs have greater potential for growth.

There are way too many DC fans in here! X-Men #94! MAKE MINE MARVEL! lol

After thinking about it more. HOS #92 is one of the few DC books I have thought about buying. And I don't buy any DCs. That cover is really cool! :headbang:

Thats it Frankie, you are in!, I really look forward to your new thread:-

BAF countdown to 20 years of DC Comics lol

There are way too many DC fans in here! X-Men #94! MAKE MINE MARVEL! lol

After thinking about it more. HOS #92 is one of the few DC books I have thought about buying. And I don't buy any DCs. That cover is really cool! :headbang:

Thats it Frankie, you are in!, I really look forward to your new thread:-

BAF countdown to 20 years of DC Comics lol

That thread, sadly will never come. lol It will read more like....BAF has one book from DC for 20 years. hhahahah Bro you look like you have a ton of books from every company. Figure out what you need for Marvel and DC and start it up! :baiting: I will sure watch that one! :popcorn:

/quote]

This is your first mistake. Your question seems to be about money, so I would suggest diversifying your approach and not sinking all your money into the hg bronze market. Low and mid grade sa keys and desirable low-grade ga like pre-robin tecs have greater potential for growth.

This is a bronze forum :baiting:

/quote]

This is a bronze forum :baiting:

Not only is it a Bronze forum, but I'm not so sure about the advice as far as investment goes. If you look on eBay or go to the big shows, there are plenty of low grade copies of SA Marvel keys.

For instance - there are currently 45 copies of Avengers 1 in 7.0 or less for Sale on Ebay. There is also one 8.5 and one 9.0.

There are four copies total of HOS 92 for sale on eBay and the best copy is a raw that might be 6.5 (listed as 7.0)

The concept of diversifying isa great idea in any investment strategy. But I think high grade bronze keys are going to do at least as well as low and mid grade Silver Keys and will probably do better.

Money aside - I own a copies of much of what is mentioned. Including some low to mid grade silver keys.

The original post was about HOS 92 or X-Men 94. I own both and highly recommend both. In middle grades I don't think it matters so much. Which one is the better "deal"? . If I was looking at a high grade copies of HOS 92 and X-Men 94 and had to choose between them the choice is easy. X-Men 94 is far easier to find in HG than HOS 92. You best purchase the high grade HOS 92 when you have the chance

CGC census

HOS 92 9.8 (2) 9.6 (13) 9.4 (30) = 45 copies 9.4+

X-Men 94 9.8 (16) 9.6 (62) 9.4 (140) = 218 copies 9.4+

/quote]

I wanted to take the time to respond directly to this; as there are some overall misconceptions regarding what I buy; concerning this statement. First, I do collect silver age comic books as well. In fact, my collection is mostly semi key or key silver age CGC graded comic books in high grade (9.2 or over) with potential.

I will NOT (as of right now) spend more than $2,000 on any one comic book. This is a personal 'rule' of mine; as in other areas of the antiques and collectibles market my 'cap' is much higher (generally $5,000-$10,000) on most items. In certain areas like coins and currency, art, and other antiques; I will spend more; but I do not wish to discuss that.

As for golden age comic books, I do not see many bargains left in this era. Especialy with a budget of $2,000 per book. I also predict that the prices on the non-key and low to mid grade issues; will eventually start to fall. While I do like EC horror comics in high grade, I own none. The market is FLAT for issues like Tales from the Crypt and Vault of Horror. There are too many in high grade and they have been reprinted many times; making these books bad 'buys' in my opinion. As stated, golden age super-hero books are trading at all time highs right now

In conclusion, I do believe that one should focus on an area and buy the BEST they have budgeted for that particular area. For instance, I often tell my customers in the antiques (and collectibles) realm that if you can't afford a good solid piece of Tiffany Glass; it is better to buy a high end Steuben Glass piece; than a low end Tiffany piece. The investment will pay off better in the long run; rather than to be able to say you own a piece of Tiffany Glass. It is the same for comic books. You are better off (in my opinion) buying a 'key' bronze age book like X-Men #94 or HOS #92; than say, a low end copy of ASM #1 (note: for $2,000; an AF 15 will not even be easily attainable in low grade; in my opinion).

This is why I choose to collect high grade books in my area of focus. I go after semi key and key books that still have some (even if it is very small) potential. I also usually try to buy smart. This is why few sellers are able to deal with me (I am honest; in admitting this). I have however, made a lot of great purchases on this forum. I also thank those who offered me great deals and have done business with me in the past.

I hope this clears up some misconceptions about why, what, and how I choose to collect.

Please feel free to comment on what I have posted. You may not directly agree with my analysis, but there is a factual plan of focus behind it.

Respectfully yours,

'mint'

I will eventually get both. Right now I am leaning towards HOS 92, but prices gave been flat on this book for awhile. I really do not think a probable 'Swamp Thing' movie will ever be released.

That being said X-Men 94 would look great next to my GS X-Men 1!

Kind Regards,

'mint'

I think you should do this then. X-Men #94. Plus the HOS #92 is not the real Swamp Thing.

Dan

I am going to go with Scooter on this one...neither book is an "investment" if you are looking to put money into something that will appreciate. I own both for the pure reason of wanting both and I am certain I will loose a few bucks on both if I sell them today....but since I have no plan to sell them, I figure the depreciation of both is my cost of enjoyment them is a small price to pay in the big picture.

The market is FLAT for issues like Tales from the Crypt and Vault of Horror. There are too many in high grade and they have been reprinted many times; making these books bad 'buys' in my opinion.

I agree but I'm still interested in the Crypt of Terror and Crime Patrol lead in to the series. Still good buys if you buy them at the right price imo. Historically significant at least from the standpoint of helping to create the code. Love EC comics!

Now back to the bronze. :)

The market is FLAT for issues like Tales from the Crypt and Vault of Horror. There are too many in high grade and they have been reprinted many times; making these books bad 'buys' in my opinion.

I agree but I'm still interested in the Crypt of Terror and Crime Patrol lead in to the series. Still good buys if you buy them at the right price imo. Historically significant at least from the standpoint of helping to create the code. Love EC comics!

Agreed, and my bad for the dertail. Sorry, Sterl. :foryou:

Mint, I'm willing to continue this discussion in a separate thread, as I don't want to take this thread any further afield from the focus. I agree that ECs aren't exactly rocketing, but demand for them in all grades remains extremely high if you can get them at a proper price. Record prices are being paid for some superhero gold (not my wonderful All-stars, alas), but, at the risk of sounding even faintly like mitch, I think there is still some nice upward mobility for key books.

If 2k is your max price point then HG bronze and SA keys is a good way to go. But when people start quoting census reports for AMF15, they are losing sight of 1) demand and 2) resubs. Owning a low-grade AMF15 is, in some ways, still owning the 'best' (sorry, heh), that is to say, the most coveted issue of Spidey, ever. I'd rather take my chance with that.

I'm happy to concede that I don't know jack about TIffany glass, but your example sounds like apples to oranges. "The best" in comics is very subjective, perhaps more so than some of the other hobbies/fields you're referencing.

Anywho, I promise to behave. ;)

And to answer the original question:

HOS92 for the long haul.

X-Men94 for a short-term flip before the next movie, if you want to grab a few bucks and move on.

Collecting-wise, HOS92 is an infinitely cooler book. :)

Agreed, and my bad for the dertail. Sorry, Sterl. :foryou:

Mint, I'm willing to continue this discussion in a separate thread, as I don't want to take this thread any further afield from the focus. I agree that ECs aren't exactly rocketing, but demand for them in all grades remains extremely high if you can get them at a proper price. Record prices are being paid for some superhero gold (not my wonderful All-stars, alas), but, at the risk of sounding even faintly like mitch, I think there is still some nice upward mobility for key books.

If 2k is your max price point then HG bronze and SA keys is a good way to go. But when people start quoting census reports for AMF15, they are losing sight of 1) demand and 2) resubs. Owning a low-grade AMF15 is, in some ways, still owning the 'best' (sorry, heh), that is to say, the most coveted issue of Spidey, ever. I'd rather take my chance with that.

I'm happy to concede that I don't know jack about TIffany glass, but your example sounds like apples to oranges. "The best" in comics is very subjective, perhaps more so than some of the other hobbies/fields you're referencing.

Anywho, I promise to behave. ;)

And to answer the original question:

HOS92 for the long haul.

X-Men94 for a short-term flip before the next movie, if you want to grab a few bucks and move on.

Collecting-wise, HOS92 is an infinitely cooler book. :)

You don't need to apologize (to me at least); as almost every thread I am involved seems to be derailed-lol!

That being said, within my collecting standards and budget per book, this would be the obvious way to go (as you have stated; high grade bronze or silver age). In another thread, at another date, I do plan on asking about EC issues, but I have not seen much momentum in them (even the Gaines file copies). Granted it has been a few months or so since I checked the value per GPA, but I do not see too many collectors coming into the hobby and going straight to EC Comics either. Most go after Marvel or DC key issues, etc.

This brings me to this decision. I am leaning towards HOS 92...as I feel X-men 94 is fairly common in high grade, but just has collector demand. The census does show HOS 92 to be much more uncommon; even though the book is also less popular.

Kind Regards,

'mint'

/quote]

I wanted to take the time to respond directly to this; as there are some overall misconceptions regarding what I buy; concerning this statement. First, I do collect silver age comic books as well. In fact, my collection is mostly semi key or key silver age CGC graded comic books in high grade (9.2 or over) with potential.

I will NOT (as of right now) spend more than $2,000 on any one comic book. This is a personal 'rule' of mine; as in other areas of the antiques and collectibles market my 'cap' is much higher (generally $5,000-$10,000) on most items. In certain areas like coins and currency, art, and other antiques; I will spend more; but I do not wish to discuss that.

As for golden age comic books, I do not see many bargains left in this era. Especialy with a budget of $2,000 per book. I also predict that the prices on the non-key and low to mid grade issues; will eventually start to fall. While I do like EC horror comics in high grade, I own none. The market is FLAT for issues like Tales from the Crypt and Vault of Horror. There are too many in high grade and they have been reprinted many times; making these books bad 'buys' in my opinion. As stated, golden age super-hero books are trading at all time highs right now

In conclusion, I do believe that one should focus on an area and buy the BEST they have budgeted for that particular area. For instance, I often tell my customers in the antiques (and collectibles) realm that if you can't afford a good solid piece of Tiffany Glass; it is better to buy a high end Steuben Glass piece; than a low end Tiffany piece. The investment will pay off better in the long run; rather than to be able to say you own a piece of Tiffany Glass. It is the same for comic books. You are better off (in my opinion) buying a 'key' bronze age book like X-Men #94 or HOS #92; than say, a low end copy of ASM #1 (note: for $2,000; an AF 15 will not even be easily attainable in low grade; in my opinion).

This is why I choose to collect high grade books in my area of focus. I go after semi key and key books that still have some (even if it is very small) potential. I also usually try to buy smart. This is why few sellers are able to deal with me (I am honest; in admitting this). I have however, made a lot of great purchases on this forum. I also thank those who offered me great deals and have done business with me in the past.

I hope this clears up some misconceptions about why, what, and how I choose to collect.

Please feel free to comment on what I have posted. You may not directly agree with my analysis, but there is a factual plan of focus behind it.

Respectfully yours,

'mint'

I love the analysis and think you are spot on. I would suggest the decline in non key mid grade Golden Age books has already begun. In fact it doesn't have to be so non-key. Recently two different Golden Age GL 1's in 7.5 sold for well off both guide and previous sales.

I'm also not so sure about high grade EC's. You could well be correct. But there are so few sales in GPA - most are years old. When books are not offered often it's hard to know the market. I think with EC's if you are selling you need to make sure you reach the market in Europe. .