• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Good ASM stories after the 80's ?

25 posts in this topic

I'm a big fan of Garth Ennis, and I loved "The Thousand" limited series he did. It's a creepy concept--a kid in the same class as Parker sees him get bit by the radioactive spider and subsequently sees him climb a wall for the first time. Deducing that Parker got his power from the spider, he goes back to the lab to find the spider to attempt to gain the same powers. He gains powers, but not nearly the ones he was hoping for--they're awful. :eek:

Ultimate Spider-Man is also a fantastic read. Bendis is the man...he's a better writer than Stan Lee was, and his improvements to the Lee mythology are largely great. Lee's great strength was character design and dialogue, but Bendis is even better at dialogue than Lee was.

001.jpg002.jpg!B60!vRwB2k~$(KGrHqQOKiQEy5KeUsgbBMydOfVPg!~~-1_3.JPG

The McFarlene run as well as some of the earlier Venom and Carnage stories come to mind for me, but I can't think of anything else. I know these only from the TPBs as I stopped buying comics at around 1981 or so.

There are some good reads sporadically in ASM...

The JR 2 period was nice...

ASM 229-230 (Juggernaut) 8 out of 10

ASM 231-232 (Cobra Hyde) 7 out of 10

ASM 234-236 (Willo-Wisp and Tarantula) 7 out of 10

ASM 238-239 (Hobgoblin) 8 out of 10

ASM 240-241 (Vulture - One of the best Vulture Stories) 7.5 out of 10

ASM 244-245 (Hobgoblin) 6.5 out of 10

ASM 248 (one of the best ASM one shot stories ever!!!) 9.5 out of 10

ASM 249-251 (Hobgoblin) 7 out of 10

ASM 293, 294 ( Kraven's last hunt - continues through other Spiderman titles)

8.5 out of 10

After this I would say that the McFarlane run was cool

(ASM 298-323, 325, 328) just on the basis of the cool factor of his layouts

7 out of 10

But it got dry for a few years until the Vol 2 set

where ASM vol 2 # 30 started a solid storyline again.

ASM 30-35 8.5 out of 10

ASM 36 (out of respect for 9/11) 8 out of 10

The rest of the Straczynski run wasn't bad through 2003. 6.5 out of 10

There are some good reads sporadically in ASM...

The JR 2 period was nice...

ASM 229-230 (Juggernaut) 8 out of 10

ASM 231-232 (Cobra Hyde) 7 out of 10

ASM 234-236 (Willo-Wisp and Tarantula) 7 out of 10

ASM 238-239 (Hobgoblin) 8 out of 10

ASM 240-241 (Vulture - One of the best Vulture Stories) 7.5 out of 10

ASM 244-245 (Hobgoblin) 6.5 out of 10

ASM 248 (one of the best ASM one shot stories ever!!!) 9.5 out of 10

ASM 249-251 (Hobgoblin) 7 out of 10

Some real good stuff there :cloud9:

The stories after One More Day were supposed to be great...

Umm what happened? These days I just buy it... to keep up with the set...

So sad. Only a handful of issues since 546 (Brand New Day) have delighted in my opinion.

The stories after One More Day were supposed to be great...

Umm what happened? These days I just buy it... to keep up with the set...

So sad. Only a handful of issues since 546 (Brand New Day) have delighted in my opinion.

There is some decent stuff in there, but the OP I think was stopping at 2003...

I could be wrong though.

hm

But with that in mind, I stopped reading right after the Grim Hunt

(that story just burnt me out) but I have still been buying the title thought to

keep the run though.

Here's an interview with DAVD BROTHERS, who is considered one of the more knowledgeable Spider-man fans, and he goes into some detail about stories post-1980 that he feels are really good.

I'm not familiar with many of them, as I stopped reading the book by then, but I would agree with most of what is on Wally's list.

Interview

I know a lot of people are turned off of today's stories, but I've really enjoyed many of the storylines over the past few years. Spider Island sucked though, avoid that. Probably my favorite was The Gauntlet series of stories. The Rhino stories were some of the best I'd ever read of Spidey. Tragic and absolutely heartbreaking. I've also really enjoyed the new Ultimate Spider-Man (post Peter's death) with whats-his-name Hispanic kid.

And in case you didn't know, it IS Spidey's 50th birthday this month.

Here's a great interview with John Romita Sr. from 2002. Really probably the best interview I've ever read by him.

Romita Sr. 2002

Yeah I just noticed it's Spidey's 50th. Ironically, go read Stan Lee's first response to the first letter in #3. It was prophetic!

Here's a great interview with John Romita Sr. from 2002. Really probably the best interview I've ever read by him.

Romita Sr. 2002

Yeah I just noticed it's Spidey's 50th. Ironically, go read Stan Lee's first response to the first letter in #3. It was prophetic!

Sum it up for those of us not lucky enough to own a #3?

These are all wonderful contributions and suggestions.

Thanks fellas !

I stopped at 2003 because the cd-rom collection stops at 2003.

And it couldnt be easier to get rid of the watermark on each page when you get adobe 6 or higher (i have adobe reader 9 )

So my giant widesceen monitor gets me a huge 2 page layout,no watermark and i was able to copy the pdf's to my 3 terabyte HD which sould make it quite easy to copy on an sd card for my Galaxy tab 10 inch.

Woohoo !

The entire Tangled Web series that ran from 2001-2003; 22 issues total. There are a few not so great issues in there, but it includes many off beat gems as well.

Fantastic four mentioned the first arc by Garth Ennis. There is a lot more worth reading.

Notable creators who worked on the series include: Peter Milligan, Duncan Fegredo, Kaare Andrews, Darwyn Cooke, Zeb Wells, Sean Phillips, Brian Azzarello, Paul Pope, Jim Mahfood and Ted McKeever.

Issue #4's "Severance Package" by Greg Rucka and Eduardo Risso is phenomenal. A must read.

detail.jpg

Romita Sr. 2002

Sum it up for those of us not lucky enough to own a #3?

I don't think it was the first reply, it's on the 2nd page of the "Spider's Web"

a fan end his letter saying "here's to Spider-Man running 50 years in his own comic"...

and Stan replys "Only 50???"

:grin:

[font:Book Antiqua]A must read: Kraven Last Hunt.[/font]

(thumbs u

A great read, I need to go re-read it now.

yeah and for those that don't want to "hunt" down (no pun intended)

the other issues out of ASM to complete the full story you can

always pick up one of these for 9 bucks!

(thumbs u

I don't know if its been mentioned yet, but the Hobgoblin Lives mini-series was an excellent storyline that revealed who the Hobgoblin was supposed to be, and ties in very nicely with the 1980s stories. Its even written by Roger Stern and penciled by Ron Frenz - two of the greatest Spidey storytellers from the 1980s. (thumbs u