• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Future of the Comic Market - A long term overview

30 posts in this topic

I'm very curious as to where the majority of you think the market for valuable back issues is going say 5, 10, 30 years or longer from now. Without getting into the detail of individual books or titles is it the consensus of all of you that this the value of this market will continue grow and prosper?

I guess what I am asking is, what makes a comics valuable in the mind of the individual. I understand nostalgia and a draw of a good story but is it more than that and is that "more" quality something that future generations will lose interest in thus causing the market to dry up? Or will the market always be there the same way people in 2050 will still want to collect say vintage 60's Ford Mustangs?

I'm sure that a lot of you long timers have touched on this issue in many different ways and I assume that many of you have a serious financial commitment to this hobby/business. I'd like to know if I'm not understanding some aspects of this market. I started collecting comics in the 70's because I liked them, simple as that. Now in my 30's I buy these back issue books for the same reason and because I think that some of them will continue to significantly appreciate in value which is without saying a good thing.

Do you guys think that super hero books are so woven into our culture that they have become part of American mythology and therefore are a permanent part of nostalgia and therefore will remain valuable? Or will people 150 years from now look at an old yellowed slabbed spidey #1 and wonder what the big deal was? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Comments?

Have a Great 4th of July everyone! God Bless America!

893frustrated.gif

Joe? Are you trolling your own shill ID? That would be pretty diabolical in an entirely not-cool sort of way... you know: "The Man of 10,000 Shills-- each more retarded than the last!"

I smell a movie franchise!! Or maybe it's just Pov's adult diaper?

Joe,

Throw me a bone on an old thread and I'll check it out.

If you think the markets going to crash and burn I'll buy some of your key marvels for 50% of OS and save you the pain of watching them go down in flames. devil.gif

If you think the markets going to crash and burn I'll buy some of your key marvels for 50% of OS and save you the pain of watching them go down in flames. devil.gif

Hey, welcome back to the forums, Marvelous!! foreheadslap.gif

...you think? ooo.gif

Did I here 60's Mustang in a comic book forum. Here's a chance to show my other hobby restoring a 69 mustang. Of course I would probably sell it for a nice Fantastic Four... I guy's gotta have his priorities straight grin.gifmus1.JPGcloud9.gif

It's not Marvelous... gossip.gif

Did I here 60's Mustang in a comic book forum. Here's a chance to show my other hobby restoring a 69 mustang. Of course I would probably sell it for a nice Fantastic Four... I guy's gotta have his priorities straight grin.gifmus1.JPGcloud9.gif

Aaaah! PLOD!

stooges.gif

sign-funnypost.gif

It's not Marvelous... gossip.gif

Ditto...MemphisChad is not Marvelous. I've had email correspondence with MC and it seemed like he was just getting started on the selling side of the hobby. He's just trying to get a feel for what's going on in the hobby.

Conspiracy theorist may now move along to the next shill hunt 893blahblah.gif

Conspiracy theorist may now move along to the next shill hunt 893blahblah.gif

Then he's cloned Marvelous, as this statement is almost word-for-word straight from the banned one's mouth:

"If you think the markets going to crash and burn I'll buy some of your key marvels for 50% of OS and save you the pain of watching them go down in flames."

Ask around, Marvelous has stated this to EVERYONE who disagreed with his "comic prices will rise foreeeeveeeer!!" predictions. Shadroch even offered to send him a few longboxes.

For the record I'm not "Marvelous". Who was Marvelous?

A drooling person_having_a_hard_time_understanding_my_point that would answer "Oh yeah, so why don't you sell me your Key issues at 50% off Guide" everytime anyone disagreed with him.