• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What is a fair markup for a pedigree???

59 posts in this topic

DO NOT BID ON PEDIGREE BOOKS PEOPLE!!! :wishluck:

Look, another meltdown.

Aren't you busy chopping out bindery chips or something??? :baiting:

Is that like being a lawyer?

No, we try to keep getting caught lying to our colleagues faces to a minimum. Kills your credibility :gossip:

I didn't have to "try to keep getting caught lying to our colleagues faces to a minimum" because I don't lie...but instead of getting into a push and pull I'll just drop it.

I was having some innocent fun with my first comment because it was obviously a joke. Have fun.

Bye.

:foryou:

0% in my opinion. I won't pay for a story about who owned or found my comic :)

(which is why I own none)

I don't go out my way to collect pedigrees but if one is nicer than the non-pedigree book and it's within my budget, I'll buy it. I won't buy it just because it's a pedigree.

Too me i.e.... a 9.4 white is a 9.4 white regardless of if it's a pedigree. I would rather buy a non-pedigree 9.4 white that's presents well over the pedigree that does not look as good.

Hold a Mile High, San Fran, or Larson in your hands and you will hear angels sing. Swear to god.

A lot of people assumes Peds get a bump just because it's a Ped what in fact some Peds actually 'feel' better when held in hand. Some smell more fresh as well. There is more to a grade than just spine stresses and there is nothing in the hobby like a 60 year old book that has the snap and bounce of a new comic.

Unless its a church or Allentown then there is probably a better non ped copy around. So you're just paying for the history of the book.

The history behind a pedigree can be interesting, but the provenance is even more important to me. That is, I really like having in my collection several SA Marvel comics that came from the same original collection, particularly for multiple issues in a single title. And that these came from the same collection as a slew of other exceptionally nice issues.

I don't own any pedigrees. I find they are just the same book as a non-pedigree, maybe they present better maybe they don't. I certainly wont pay premium because I value books in a different way.

I do enjoy the historical background of a pedigree as a whole though.

Hold a Mile High, San Fran, or Larson in your hands and you will hear angels sing. Swear to god.

This is a man who knows what he's talking about! A few extra dollars to hear Angels sing every time you hold a book is a small price to pay IMO :cloud9:

Pedigrees definitely will limit your buying pool. Most people from what I see don't want them. Personally, I think they are kind of cool but I mainly buy them because usually they are pretty exceptional copies of books. If that sometimes costs a little more, I'm ok with that.

That's basically how I feel about pedigrees. I like them because they can be beautiful books, or in some cases, the nicest books out there.

But if I had a choice between a pedigree book and a non-pedigree book, and the non-pedigree was the nicer book, I'd go with the non-pedigree every time.

But as far as selling the books down the road, it probably makes more sense financially to go with a pedigree book. As long as it's a universally well-respected pedigree, that is.

A pedigreed book and a SS book are really not much different, IMO.

Very different. A pedigreed book is typically a very nice-looking specimen, often one of the best known. A SS book is a book with writing on the cover. But, hey, that's just me.

That was probably before CGC let any collection in on the label. :baiting:

If I had the choice between two identical books for the same price, one a Pedigree and one not, I would go with the Pedigree copy.

Other than that scenario, I would probably not pay more than a 5-10% premium for a well-recognized pedigree, like Mile High or Curator, etc.

It just doesn't really matter that much to me where the book came from.

(I am also not a fan of signatures on comic books, especially on Golden and Silver Age key issues in High Grade!!!)

You all seem to know what you are talking about. But can someone explain to me what is exactly a "Pedigree". How a comics collection can become one? Why? How much comics is needed? That's kind of questions, because I still wonder what "Pedigree" eat in winter ;)

Also there is a comics that I got my eyes on and its a Rocky Mountain Pedigree. Can someone also tell me more about this Pedigree? Where can we found all the infos on all the many Pedigree in existance?

Thanks a lot!

You all seem to know what you are talking about. But can someone explain to me what is exactly a "Pedigree". How a comics collection can become one? Why? How much comics is needed? That's kind of questions, because I still wonder what "Pedigree" eat in winter ;)

Also there is a comics that I got my eyes on and its a Rocky Mountain Pedigree. Can someone also tell me more about this Pedigree? Where can we found all the infos on all the many Pedigree in existance?

Thanks a lot!

First things first.We have no idea what we are talking about. lol

Unless its a church or Allentown then there is probably a better non ped copy around. So you're just paying for the history of the book.

I disagree with this. My proof- Doug Schmell's Marvel collection. He took 20+ years building it. He bought, sold, and compared copies until he got what he thought was the best copy in existence.

For example on his X-Men run 45 out of 66 were Peds. He had Pacific Coast, Curator, Northland, Rocky Mountain, and Oakland. The biggest representation were Pacific Coast. The rest of his collection had similar representation. I would also say he was not a pedigree snob but a high grade snob.

I can say that I do like the Twin Cities pedigree for what its worth. The benefit to owning a pedigree can be that if someone is trying to complete a high grade run or collection all from one pedigree, they may be willing to pay more for a book in question. I myself, would never pay more just because it is a pedigree. That being said, if a book is offered to me and I like it and it has potential I will buy it regardless. Most pedigrees (in my opinion) are overrated.

Still, according to most collectors; some are better than others. I tend to agree. There are some pedigree books that are ALWAYS offered for sale time and time again. Others are very hard to find and I regret NOT buying them. I think it depends on the book and the actual pedigree in question.

Respectfully yours,

'mint'