• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

When will/will the WALKING DEAD bubble burst?
7 7

3,607 posts in this topic

Is it possible the Issue #100 hoopla soured the market a bit? Talk about overkill...

Watches, 18 or 19 covers, 3 printings.....just for one issue. I got sick of hearing about it.

The 9.9 sale might debunk that theory though....

Quite few people speculated on that issue. Lots of new speculators trying to cash in. That might have been the turning point to go along with the Avengers and The Dark Knight Rises movies premiering. The Avengers and The Dark Knight Rises reminded me how cool superheroes still are,and how superheroes are still the kings of comics over zombies. :cloud9:

avengers1.jpgthe-dark-knight-rises-blu-ray-trailer.jpg

Edited by ComicConnoisseur

I believe the comic (WD 1) is still rising as is original art (especially early art).

It will level off and eventually decline in price...I don't think it's happening this season.

I don't know when that will happen but I believe the WD will continue in popularity. I even think a movie is going to happen.

The bubble isn't bursting this season in my opinion.

Why is Mycomicshop a better market indicator than eBay for WD books?

I want to see more than just ebay... more well rounded... just my opinion.

I have heard too many people rant on here about how people do corrupt things on ebay for me to put all my faith into one of their sales.

Is it possible the Issue #100 hoopla soured the market a bit? Talk about overkill...

Watches, 18 or 19 covers, 3 printings.....just for one issue. I got sick of hearing about it.

Quite few people speculated on that issue. Lots of new speculators trying to cash in. That might have been the turning point to go along with the Avengers and The Dark Knight Rises movies premiering. The Avengers and The Dark Knight Rises reminded me how cool superheroes still are,and how superheroes are still the kings of comics over zombies. :cloud9:

I cannot fathom why folks would speculate on this issue other than for the variants. Everyone knew that everyone and their sister would be buying a gadjillion copies, who exactly did they think they'd be selling to? Sure, comic shops may be selling 100 for cover for the next 5 years, but that's meaningless to the speculator. How can people not have figured out yet if there are a bazillion copies of some book out there it won't work for speculation! Personally, I bought 1 copy..I liked the Michone cover, and that was that, with no expectation I'd every get my money back on it. I do wonder if it has hurt the market for issues since then as it doesn't make sense that issues in the mid-90s can sell for a chunky premium and 103 is below cover price as I suspect they had about the same print-runs.

Anyway...

Anyone who thinks #100 is going to increase in value is dreaming. They are "collectors items" Any time something like that comes out...it's destined to not be worth much, if at all.

Walking Dead 1 is worth what it is because it was a low print run, sleeper comic that wasn't ever thought of as a sensation. Hell, they were lucky to get to #5.

Some issues like 19, 27, 33....they are what anyone would consider keys of the run and will garner a premium to others in the run...and anything 100+ is most likely not going to be worth anything. The print run has to be massive. Especially if I am subscribing....I haven't bought new comics monthly since the 90s. So you know the print run must be massive.

I did buy a Kirkman/Adlard sig #100 McFarlane cover 9.8. That cover is really cool. The SS makes it worth it for me.

The cool part about me buying WD comics is that i'm really enjoying the writing and that's something I haven't done in years with moderns.

The comics might be leveling off slightly (although I did sell a WD #19 CGC 9.8 SS for almost $800), but for me, the McFarlane action figures are an indication the there is no bubble burst in sight.

A year ago, you could find this guy on the shelves of your local Toys R Us with little effort.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/McFarlane-Series-1-The-Walking-Dead-Daryl-Dixon-Small-Card-Variant-Rare-NR-/251191242482?pt=US_Action_Figures&hash=item3a7c2a2ef2

Edited by lemonman5

Anyone who thinks #100 is going to increase in value is dreaming. They are "collectors items" Any time something like that comes out...it's destined to not be worth much, if at all.

Walking Dead 1 is worth what it is because it was a low print run, sleeper comic that wasn't ever thought of as a sensation. Hell, they were lucky to get to #5.

Some issues like 19, 27, 33....they are what anyone would consider keys of the run and will garner a premium to others in the run...and anything 100+ is most likely not going to be worth anything. The print run has to be massive. Especially if I am subscribing....I haven't bought new comics monthly since the 90s. So you know the print run must be massive.

I did buy a Kirkman/Adlard sig #100 McFarlane cover 9.8. That cover is really cool. The SS makes it worth it for me.

The cool part about me buying WD comics is that i'm really enjoying the writing and that's something I haven't done in years with moderns.

I don't have the circulation #s, but it SEEMS like the # of copies of 103 and 104 out on the rack at my shops was in line with the # of copies out on the rack 10 issues ago after a big build up from 97 or so to 100 and 101-102 having what seemed like more than usual...with that said, my main local shop has sold all of them other than some 100s and a couple of issues from 98 - 104 that were badly damaged, but they leave them on the rack to try and sell at full cover.

I cannot fathom why folks would speculate on this issue other than for the variants. Everyone knew that everyone and their sister would be buying a gadjillion copies, who exactly did they think they'd be selling to? Sure, comic shops may be selling 100 for cover for the next 5 years, but that's meaningless to the speculator. How can people not have figured out yet if there are a bazillion copies of some book out there it won't work for speculation! Personally, I bought 1 copy..I liked the Michone cover, and that was that, with no expectation I'd every get my money back on it. I do wonder if it has hurt the market for issues since then as it doesn't make sense that issues in the mid-90s can sell for a chunky premium and 103 is below cover price as I suspect they had about the same print-runs.

Anyway...

Agreed.

Totally agree. I've been reading quite a few independent titles this year and it has really made me appreciate the special quality and uniqueness of superheroes.

Shouldn't be...if anything, eBay would be a better indicator as it certainly has more traffic than MCS.

You're able to discern foot traffic for eBay for comic collectors, as opposed to a site dedicated to the collectible? Given eBay's track record I'd say consignment shops now have the upper hand.

Look at the number of unique visitors for a CGC comic ending, and compare that to the number of registered customers for a consignment site. I'd bet eBay loses.

Shouldn't be...if anything, eBay would be a better indicator as it certainly has more traffic than MCS.

You're able to discern foot traffic for eBay for comic collectors, as opposed to a site dedicated to the collectible? Given eBay's track record I'd say consignment shops now have the upper hand.

Look at the number of unique visitors for a CGC comic ending, and compare that to the number of registered customers for a consignment site. I'd bet eBay loses.

That may be true....for GPA data, it seems most sales reported are ebay sales.

Does mycomicshop auction site submit their sales data to GPA?

Thanks

FWIW - raw,well priced non-key WD's are flying out my ebay page.

I use my #100 variants (which I pre-bought for less than cover anyway) as freeebies to sweeten a deal or correct any unhappiness.

Makes people happier than money in most cases.

You may see a change in the order of "The Keys" - but the riskiest 2 (#27 and #61) will still command a substantial premium.

#53 will be a $100 - $125 slab soon -

everyone loved Abe (dead way tooo soon)

Spoiler for the uninformed.

However #92 - this is building up a head of steam like you would not believe, when the valve is opened I expect the premier appearence of Jesus to be behind only #1 and #19 eventually.

Any raw for under $50 and any 9.8 under $130-$150 is a VERY sound investment.

Kirkman has said this guy is around for a long time (repeatedly) - I am going out on a limb and say WHEN RICK DIES,CARL WILL TAKE OVER AND JESUS HIS GO-TO MAN.

For a long time....

I would be fascinated to see the effect of The appearance of Tyreese in the show on the price of #7

Spoilers again for the uninformed

Walking Dead 1 bubble bursting will probably just mean instead of selling for $1600-2000 in CGC 9.8 it will sell for $500-800 once the show and movie is over.

#2 probably around $350-400 in CGC 9.8

#19 probably around $200-250 in CGC 9.8

#27 probably around $100-125 in CGC 9.8--character not looking like the comic book version killed this book IMO

#92---yet to be determined

#3-9 probably 50% less than what they are selling for right now in 9.8

All the rest you get the picture.

I believe Kirk-man will either kill Rick or Carl off before or during issue #200.

This is very grim but I would end the comic with Rick committing suicide (gun shot in the head) as he is surrounded by zombies where he can not escape. At that point of the story-line Rick has lost everyone & I mean everyone.

I know that is horrible, but for me it makes sense.

Sorry to be such a downer. :fear:

That may be true....for GPA data, it seems most sales reported are ebay sales.

Does mycomicshop auction site submit their sales data to GPA?

Thanks

Yes we do. All our auction and fixed price sales are reported to GPA.

And I agree that eBay is probably the largest source of GPA data by a pretty wide margin.