• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

When will/will the WALKING DEAD bubble burst?
7 7

3,607 posts in this topic

SEE!

You're clearly missing my point here. Walking dead has far more substance then the Crow story wise and even in the 90's no one cared about the Crow movie sequels. Why don't we look up the reviews on those films...? The Crow was mainly popular because it starred Bruce lee's son and it was based on a comic book during a time when Batman and TMNT were enjoying a lot of mainstream popularity. The soundtrack was good. It branded that era in music really well but that does not a good comic book make.

Others have commented on this comment, but only on the comment about "wanting to see the Walking Dead fall". But jeez, I gotta comment on The Crow angle.

Let's be clear - The Walking Dead has built up an impressive run on the comic book, and the Walking Dead TV show is top rated - ON CABLE. Which means it is King of a relatively small hill.

The first Crow movie (1994) was a huge critical and financial success. $144 million at the box office, 83% rating at Rotten Tomatoes (10% better than Amazing Spider-Man) and one of the greatest soundtracks of all time. It doesn't really matter that the sequels sucked. The first movie had the sort of success filmmakers spend their career hoping for. Time will tell if the WD will ever convert to a blockbuster movie. I'd probably enjoy a movie more than the TV series, because movies demand a beginning, middle and end. Even the fiercest defenders have to admit the TV show has stretches where it seems nothing will ever get resolved.

The Walking Dead has more substance? Than what? Airgel? Angel food cake? Neither concept - zombies or an avenging spirit of death - is exactly unique, groundbreaking or intellectually deep.

Edited by Tony S

Walking dead fans are passionate and don't want to believe the comic will lose it's luster.

ANY collectable can lose it's value. I do think some are rooting for the comic or show to fail but not because they didn't buy a copy. lol

I find lots of people root for all kinds of things to fail.

With that said, I think comix4fun and others have valid reasons for believing the comic will decrease in value. Because history has shown items like this will fall.

Sometimes an item is unique and goes the other way. My hope is WD will do that. I knew going in that buying a modern was a risk. I'm willing to take the risk.

I love WD. I simply don't see any logical reason why it would continue to rise indefinitely. There are absolutely no analogues in comics. Especially other media tie in comics.

I think as soon as the comic and/or TV series has run its course, it will see a 1/3 - 2/3 adjustment downward. Then when the Rule of 25 kicks in, watch out!!

All this said, if you love WD and you can afford it without making the kids drink hot dog water for nutrition, have at it.

This is the price trajectory I envision. 2c

Also, after four pages of back and forth about Crow vs WD, i've got to say I don't love the Crow analogy, but Ciara's point that comic and media properties can cool when the spotlight is off them is entirely valid. (shrug)

MMA for nerds?

Inside joke. Once you're not a 200 post, peacock strutting newb whose super power seems to be getting it wrong with 100% frequency you'll have inside jokes of your own.

I did not apologize in fact I called you an individual_without_enough_empathy. You desperately need to reread my posts and your own. You were wrong about about the walking dead video game, the crow and about me. You may want to reconsider posting any more advice considering your track record of being wrong.

Apology re-accepted. (thumbs u

This is the last thing I'm going to say on the subject:

If true, you truly have my gratitude.

The first Crow movie (1994) was a huge critical and financial success. $144 million at the box office,

Where are you getting these stats from? it's an ok movie and comic and im not putting it down and it DID DO OK, but The film grossed $50,693,129 in the United States.. Thats it!

It ranked at 24 for 1994.. Thats all good, but its not huge! There's no way you can compare it to a TV show that ranks higher than American Idol both in revenues and in popularity.

The first Crow movie (1994) was a huge critical and financial success. $144 million at the box office,

Where are you getting these stats from? it's an ok movie and comic and im not putting it down and it DID DO OK, but The film grossed $50,693,129 in the United States.. Thats it!

It ranked at 24 for 1994.. Thats all good, but its not huge! There's no way you can compare it to a TV show that ranks higher than American Idol both in revenues and in popularity.

It doesn't rank higher than American Idol in revenues. It ranked higher, for a single episode, in ratings...one episode, one week. It was the season finale of Walking Dead against a random episode of American Idol.

There are dozens and dozens of American Idol episodes, and far fewer WD ones.

Put the numbers in perspective and they are still impressive, they don't need the extra boost added by Barnum-izing them.

I think personally the title is on a downward turn. Thats not too say it's crashing but peoples opinion of it is lowering. I hear a lot more complaints about the story and artwork now than I have ever heard. People are starting to stop reading it and big collectors are getting tired off it, especially with the increased number of variants, what this means for back issue sales I don't know but I for one have cashed in and whereas it was my number one book each month I look forward to others more.

I feel the same way.

You've got to take a look at The Crow to get a pretty interesting parallel.

The Crow is a lot closer to WD than TMNT is. WD has no built in "kid factor" to keep it renewed and fresh and to restock its fan base. The Crow and WD share the same demographic and were fueled by the same basic age group of collectors and fans. Both were media and licensing darlings in the heat of their mainstream (Film/TV) spotlight.

The Crow:

4 studio films completed.

1 studio film in the works.

1 live action TV show

1 animated series developed

In print consistently for the last 25-ish years.

T-shirts, books, novels, posters, statues, toys, coasters, lighters, rings, etc etc etc etc licensed out the yang.

Original Series...Extremely low print run, with all black covers and exceedingly hard to find in high grade.

To this date there are only 14 copies of The Crow #1 in 9.8 and 18 copies of Caliber Presents #1.

Value of 1st appearance and 1st issue? Relatively flat for several years.

The HEAT generated by the first film and interest therein made people seek out those early Crow books. Then they fell on their face for a decade. Only when people realized the CGC + hard to find in high grade equation was in play did it start to uptick again, only to flatten.

Take away the heat of mass media attention (TV or FILM) and you take away the push that people feel to get those books.

The part of the comparison that is most interesting is the "CGC Factor". Obviously CGC did not exist in 1989 for people to take their Crow books and have them immediately slabbed. Also it took the series a bit of time to gain traction (as did WD) so by the time people went back to find The Crow, it was a later printing or a lesser grade copy (that impossible all black cover).

With WD, CGC was already rolling for several years, the mentality of picking out 9.8s and keeping them that way was ingrained. That statement is proven when taking a peek at the census.

For every ONE copy of The Crow #1 you will find in 9.8 or better there are about FORTY copies of WD #1. 40 to 1. Leaning on "scarcity" in discussing WD #1 is a non-starter. Looking at the numbers that matter there are so many of these books that when interest levels go back to normal it's only natural to see some decline.

Take away the films, take away the heat that comes with the films/tv, and we've seen what happens to overall interest. Overall interest drives prices. We've seen it over and over again. It's not a novel concept in the least.

18f2l.jpgvia Imgflip Meme Generator

It doesn't rank higher than American Idol in revenues. It ranked higher, for a single episode, in ratings...one episode, one week. It was the season finale of Walking Dead against a random episode of American Idol.

There are dozens and dozens of American Idol episodes, and far fewer WD ones.

Put the numbers in perspective and they are still impressive, they don't need the extra boost added by Barnum-izing them.

The WD show is number one show among adults 18-49 -

It depends on the entry point of purchase.

I was one of the lucky/brave/clever/hit and hope people who bought early.

I had 5 in total and still have another at cgc.

I bought 2 lots.

#1 - #80 for $1200

#1 - #28 for $1000

3 others I bought seperately, with the max being $400.

I have sold the lot (and am still selling 9.8 single digit issues) and profitted handsomely.

I have a nice shiny 9.8 #1 as my only keeper.

Do I care if TWD tanks?

Financially - no. as a book, yes, as I love it. A great,great comic book seires.

However - if I was one of the late-comers paying $2200 for a 9.8 #1 (the highest being $4500 - don't forget - GPA is now $2400) then hell yeah I'd be worried if prices went south.

I guarantee these guys wont be selling for $1000 either.

They will just keep the book and enjoy it rather than take a 60% hit.

Thats why the book will never drop in a huge way, because too many people would rather keep than sell for a big loss.

I really wish I had a TMNT #1 though......and would be happy to pay strongly for it as I have such fond memories of the comic and cartoon series!

Both books will stay strong for a long,long time.

2c