• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

When will/will the WALKING DEAD bubble burst?
7 7

3,607 posts in this topic

Regardless - there is a $11,500 sale on GPA for a 9.9

An extra 3k isn't really that much of a stretch.

If you can afford it obviously!!

Closer to $8k more actually.

I stand corrected - I should probably read more thoroughly. :foryou:

I still can't afford it!

Who was the seller? A dealer or 'just' a random ebayer?

Regardless - there is a $11,500 sale on GPA for a 9.9

An extra 3k isn't really that much of a stretch.

If you can afford it obviously!!

Closer to $8k more actually.

I stand corrected - I should probably read more thoroughly. :foryou:

I still can't afford it!

Who was the seller? A dealer or 'just' a random ebayer?

I don't recognize the seller but he is badged up like a dealer on Ebay.

My initial thought was this sale had to be fake and that we'd see the seller or a friend re-selling this in a few weeks with the $19,000 "sale" recorded in GPA as a reference point.

Having checked the sellers feedback though, there've been some pretty big books there like an ASM #50 9.6 for best offer on $12,500 so he may be legitimate.

The question is was the sale actually completed? There have been many falsified sales on eBay that have gained media attention and the like. The 1.2 million dollar video game sale was one (it was never confirmed as completed from all the reports I have seen). Others include a lot of high profile auctions used to generate interest for their respective collecting genres.

When I was more active on eBay, I saw a lot of 'manipulative' auction data on video games alone. Don't even get me started on what was occurring in the collectibles markets overall. There is no question in my mind that a lot of high profile price levels seen on eBay are being manipulated for the benefit of a few greedy and ethically challenged individuals. It also surprises me as to how many supposedly 'ethical' sellers and dealers look the other way and refuse to comment on these actions. This is why it is important to view ONLY completed auctions on eBay and use some common sense when reviewing the sold prices in relation to the buyer's history and overall description of the item in question; along with an overall validity of the seller.

In conclusion, I am NOT saying that this sale did not take place. I am only asking for more concrete evidence before confirming it as a guaranteed sale. I wonder if GPA will add this auction sale to their site? This particular book in question is very 'hot' right now and it is very possible that this sale is completely legit. I just know to use caution when analyzing these kind of trends as market manipulators are always at work perfecting their craft. For evidence of this just look at the manipulation being done in the precious metals markets. I wonder how all those people who thought the 'sky was falling' and bought gold at $1800 an ounce are doing right now? I really feel sorry for the individuals who sold their financial investments at the bottom of the market crash only to buy precious metals in the heat of a speculative market.

rantrant

Not everything you see on eBay is illegal and just because you don't like the result doesn't mean it wasn't legit.

Edited by rfoiii

Joey strikes again - 19k - what a price.

This board is without doubt the most incredible place to be - comic wise - sometimes.

Congrats Joey!

So if 9.9s are worth that much. Shouldn't 9.8s be spiking again?

No.

The question is was the sale actually completed? There have been many falsified sales on eBay that have gained media attention and the like. The 1.2 million dollar video game sale was one (it was never confirmed as completed from all the reports I have seen). Others include a lot of high profile auctions used to generate interest for their respective collecting genres.

When I was more active on eBay, I saw a lot of 'manipulative' auction data on video games alone. Don't even get me started on what was occurring in the collectibles markets overall. There is no question in my mind that a lot of high profile price levels seen on eBay are being manipulated for the benefit of a few greedy and ethically challenged individuals. It also surprises me as to how many supposedly 'ethical' sellers and dealers look the other way and refuse to comment on these actions. This is why it is important to view ONLY completed auctions on eBay and use some common sense when reviewing the sold prices in relation to the buyer's history and overall description of the item in question; along with an overall validity of the seller.

In conclusion, I am NOT saying that this sale did not take place. I am only asking for more concrete evidence before confirming it as a guaranteed sale. I wonder if GPA will add this auction sale to their site? This particular book in question is very 'hot' right now and it is very possible that this sale is completely legit. I just know to use caution when analyzing these kind of trends as market manipulators are always at work perfecting their craft. For evidence of this just look at the manipulation being done in the precious metals markets. I wonder how all those people who thought the 'sky was falling' and bought gold at $1800 an ounce are doing right now? I really feel sorry for the individuals who sold their financial investments at the bottom of the market crash only to buy precious metals in the heat of a speculative market.

rantrant

Not everything you see on eBay is illegal and just because you don't like the result doesn't mean it wasn't legit.

Yes, it's just because I don't like the price. Obviously, I was NEVER asked to manipulate auction data, right? Are you serious?

This is an extremely SPECULATIVE item, nothing more. Come see me in twenty five years when the seller can't get half that for the book.

rantrant

Yes, it's just because I don't like the price. Obviously, I was NEVER asked to manipulate auction data, right? Are you serious?

This is an extremely SPECULATIVE item, nothing more. Come see me in twenty five years when the seller can't get half that for the book.

We agree on this book 100%, it won't be worth a tenth of what it is now in 5 years.

I was just responding to the fact that your comment read more like "conspiracy theorist" than "experienced dealer." Not saying you are one or the other, I don't know you.

rantrant

We agree on this book 100%, it won't be worth a tenth of what it is now in 5 years.

I was just responding to the fact that your comment read more like "conspiracy theorist" than "experienced dealer." Not saying you are one or the other, I don't know you.

I never mentioned a date of five years. That being said, you are welcome to classify me any way you want as long as it makes you feel better. I could care less either way.

rantrant

I never mentioned a date of five years. That being said, you are welcome to classify me any way you want as long as it makes you feel better. I could care less either way.

I know, you said twenty-five, I said five.

Great to know you have enough self-esteem that you are not hung up on some random person's comments. (thumbs u

You are missing the point of my comment entirely. Unfortunately, like many others on this board, you post a ridiculous polarizing statement and when questioned about it you get defensive and evasive with your responses.

You added zero value to this conversation other than soapboxing.

Kudos!

Edited by rfoiii

Kudos!

You're very testy for a noob.

Mint is someone who gives a lot to this community of anonymous chat forum yappers. You seem to be ripping old members new holes often. Might be a tactic you want to rethink.

Just sayin'

:foryou:

Kudos!

You're very testy for a noob.

Mint is someone who gives a lot to this community of anonymous chat forum yappers. You seem to be ripping old members new holes often. Might be a tactic you want to rethink.

Just sayin'

:foryou:

Fair feedback.

However, I recommend you look back at the conversation history. I am rarely the first to escalate and I wasn't in this case. It isn't unreasonable to question people's posts, especially the controversial and polarizing ones. It also isn't unfair to ask for information to back up opinions. I value experience and insight, but only when it is more than just prose.

Healthy tension happens here quite frequently and to everyone. Longevity doesn't preclude one from discussion.

While everyone might not like my approach, it is not as if I attack people outright (joking posts aside). However, like everyone else on this site, I poke back. :baiting:

Edited by rfoiii

You are missing the point of my comment entirely. Unfortunately, like many others on this board, you post a ridiculous polarizing statement and when questioned about it you get defensive and evasive with your responses.

Kudos!

That's his M.O. Just don't ask him for a link to anything he talks about :makepoint: