• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

When will/will the WALKING DEAD bubble burst?
7 7

3,607 posts in this topic

And come up with the $1 mill+ you'd need to get a business like this off the ground. Can you think of several dealers (outside of auction houses) who have that kind of cash lying around?

Yes. But I don't think it would cost near one million. Not if you already have a warehouse, staff that work for you that have been grading comics for decades and an inventory of one million books or more. Oh. And a well known name.

Several come to mind. One stands out. And in sports cards, several dealers pooled their resources.

I can't see 9.8 #1s retaining a value of 1k. Most of the appeal of the book was its rising value. People loved it because it's value was skyrocketing & wanted a piece of the action. 2c

It is not going to devalue by 50-60%. Ten years from now I think #1 in CGC 9.8 is still easily a $1K to 1100 book.

WD #1 is still the AF 15 of the modern age or the TNMT #1 of this generation.

10 years from now CGC will most likely be long gone.

If you think because they will have a competitor than I would say you are incorrect.

I'd say because TAT's are going to get up to a year or more at this pace, for Fast Track.

Even though your hyberbole of a comment will never happen that still wouldn't prove why CGC wouldn't be around.

No competition ever

I wouldn't go that far. Coins and cards all have 3-4 major, respected grading companies and several each that come and go. It mostly depends on if another grading company sees an opening. Or - and this is one of the ways it happened in coins and sportscards - if one or several big dealers band together and form a grading company because of what they see as poor service/prices to high.

I can think of several dealers off the top of my head that if they wanted to do this have the staff, space, inventory and reputation. They only have to think there is a need.

My fast track modern received 11/4 is still sitting on graded. It's at least 3 days overdue subtracting holidays and shows.

None of the above means CGC would go out of business. But a competitor is a very real possibility.

The WD show sucks this year.

Please name them.

Also tell me what their business plan would be besides a better turn around time that can't quickly be shot down as a reason why it would make people use them instead of CGC.

Edited by Spiderman-on-Tilt

And come up with the $1 mill+ you'd need to get a business like this off the ground. Can you think of several dealers (outside of auction houses) who have that kind of cash lying around?

Yes. But I don't think it would cost near one million. Not if you already have a warehouse, staff that work for you that have been grading comics for decades and an inventory of one million books or more. Oh. And a well known name.

Several come to mind. One stands out. And in sports cards, several dealers pooled their resources.

You're not talking about Mile High, are you? :lol:

It is not going to devalue by 50-60%. Ten years from now I think #1 in CGC 9.8 is still easily a $1K to 1100 book.

10 years from now $1k will only be worth $788

Well don't you mean the opposite with Ben Bernanke and his inflationary economic wisdom. Soon a bag of chips will cost us $9.99.

John:

Tell me what the rate of inflation is over Bernanke's term?

Not low enough. Just not a fan of the guy since he took office.

However, I mainly blame the greedy corporations for trying to trick the consumer by keeping the price increase low, but filling the bags/boxes with more air. Eating organic IMO costs less than eating bad. Guess that is a good thing.

And, whoever mentioned Jersey Shore....horrible comparison. They didn't have ratings like WD...not even close.

It was very close during the height of Jersey Shores ridiculous popularity two years ago. Walking Dead - 4.8 million vs Jersey Shore 4.6 million in the 18 - 49 demographic.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/dorothypomerantz/2011/10/20/how-the-walking-dead-is-like-jersey-shore/

And, whoever mentioned Jersey Shore....horrible comparison. They didn't have ratings like WD...not even close.

It was very close during the height of Jersey Shores ridiculous popularity two years ago. Walking Dead - 4.8 million vs Jersey Shore 4.6 million in the 18 - 49 demographic.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/dorothypomerantz/2011/10/20/how-the-walking-dead-is-like-jersey-shore/

Tumblr_static_andrew.gif

I think that the point of the question is that almost everyone over-estimates the rate of inflation. Since the financial crisis, we've had lower inflation than we've had in my lifetime, but if you ask the average person they would say it has been higher.

People remember prices going up but generally forget prices that have gone down.

Look at gas--

http://www.gasbuddy.com/gb_retail_price_chart.aspx?time=96

That huge dip in the middle of the graph is the collapse of Lehman Brothers. Note that the price of gas today is less than it was when Lehman collapsed over five years ago. That isn't indicative of runaway inflation, but people always cherry pick the rising prices in their head and convince themselves that there is some big conspiracy to understate inflation.

The truth is, if people would actually sit down and look at how inflation is calculated, they would see that it has actually been extraordinarily low over the last five years.

Not low enough. Just not a fan of the guy since he took office.

However, I mainly blame the greedy corporations for trying to trick the consumer by keeping the price increase low, but filling the bags/boxes with more air. Eating organic IMO costs less than eating bad. Guess that is a good thing.

I can't see 9.8 #1s retaining a value of 1k. Most of the appeal of the book was its rising value. People loved it because it's value was skyrocketing & wanted a piece of the action. 2c

If you think because they will have a competitor than I would say you are incorrect.

I'd say because TAT's are going to get up to a year or more at this pace, for Fast Track.

Even though your hyberbole of a comment will never happen that still wouldn't prove why CGC wouldn't be around.

No competition ever

I wouldn't go that far. Coins and cards all have 3-4 major, respected grading companies and several each that come and go. It mostly depends on if another grading company sees an opening. Or - and this is one of the ways it happened in coins and sportscards - if one or several big dealers band together and form a grading company because of what they see as poor service/prices to high.

I can think of several dealers off the top of my head that if they wanted to do this have the staff, space, inventory and reputation. They only have to think there is a need.

My fast track modern received 11/4 is still sitting on graded. It's at least 3 days overdue subtracting holidays and shows.

None of the above means CGC would go out of business. But a competitor is a very real possibility.

Please name them.

Also tell me what their business plan would be besides a better turn around time that can't quickly be shot down as a reason why it would make people use them instead of CGC.

No, I won't name them. That's how rumors get started. "Hey, I heard xxxx is gonna..."

It's rather narrow view that you can't envision there could ever be a competitor to CGC. That's what General Motors thought. It's what Polariod thought, It's what AOL thought And you seem to not comprehend just how big an issue TAT's are to dealers. It's almost reason enough all by itself. But then a competitor could also offer other services for free that CGC charges for, like grading notes. Or offer services CGC doesn't offer, like split grades, individual grades (FC,, BC, interior) Or grade a few things CGC won't. Or put loose items like COA's in the holder. Or have/work with a signature authentication service.

I'm not even trying hard to think of these things.

Besides, we don't even exactly disagree. I don't think it likely that another service would put CGC out of business. I just don't think it's unlikely that in the next decade a real competitor won't appear.

Isn't this a discussion thread on WD?

10 years from now $1k will only be worth $788

Well don't you mean the opposite with Ben Bernanke and his inflationary economic wisdom. Soon a bag of chips will cost us $9.99.

:facepalm:

It was a joke you trolling tool-bag.

51tys.jpgvia Imgflip Meme Maker

No competition ever

How confident are you? hm

No competition ever

Please name them.

No, I won't name them. That's how rumors get started. "Hey, I heard xxxx is gonna..."

It's rather narrow view that you can't envision there could ever be a competitor to CGC. That's what General Motors thought. It's what Polariod thought, It's what AOL thought And you seem to not comprehend just how big an issue TAT's are to dealers. It's almost reason enough all by itself. But then a competitor could also offer other services for free that CGC charges for, like grading notes. Or offer services CGC doesn't offer, like split grades, individual grades (FC,, BC, interior) Or grade a few things CGC won't. Or put loose items like COA's in the holder. Or have/work with a signature authentication service.

Besides, we don't even exactly disagree. I don't think it likely that another service would put CGC out of business. I just don't think it's unlikely that in the next decade a real competitor won't appear.

hm

hm Thanks guys hope to pick up some more WD books on the cheap side. Glad I don't have to over think this issue. I did want to ask if you guys could talk about the Tony Moore and Charlie Adlard art. I would love to see if you guys could help that market crash too. Me need me some cheaper WD art.

hm Thanks guys hope to pick up some more WD books on the cheap side. Glad I don't have to over think this issue. I did want to ask if you guys could talk about the Tony Moore and Charlie Adlard art. I would love to see if you guys could help that market crash too. Me need me some cheaper WD art.

lol

Me too. +1

No competition ever

Please name them.

A formidable competitor would be Marvel or DC starting their own grading service. They have the resources, the artists who would (by contract) only sign through them, and possibly the ability to lock down any and all of their copyrighted materials and test fair use. If you had the option, would you pick a comic off the shelf or buy a DC graded 10 Gem Mint direct from DC?

For the poster who said 1-mill could be used as capital. It could. You would probably need to come up with a better model and grading technique to topple CGC. Possibly incorporating a scanning computer (software) to ignore the actual cover which can hide defects and actually do a physical defect count and grade from 1-100 in incriminates of .01. Page color would not be visual, but another grade from white to black in 1-100. If a coffee company can scan 15,000 beans per second, I'm sure the software and processing power is already there. A million to come up with the idea is great. Now pump another million into advertising and waiting a few years for market acceptance. Even PGX could be a competitor if they got their act together and gained market trust.

No competition ever

Please name them.

A formidable competitor would be Marvel or DC starting their own grading service. They have the resources, the artists who would (by contract) only sign through them, and possibly the ability to lock down any and all of their copyrighted materials and test fair use. If you had the option, would you pick a comic off the shelf or buy a DC graded 10 Gem Mint direct from DC?

For the poster who said 1-mill could be used as capital. It could. You would probably need to come up with a better model and grading technique to topple CGC. Possibly incorporating a scanning computer (software) to ignore the actual cover which can hide defects and actually do a physical defect count and grade from 1-100 in incriminates of .01. Page color would not be visual, but another grade from white to black in 1-100. If a coffee company can scan 15,000 beans per second, I'm sure the software and processing power is already there. A million to come up with the idea is great. Now pump another million into advertising and waiting a few years for market acceptance. Even PGX could be a competitor if they got their act together and gained market trust.

PGX as a company could never be a competitor. Those letters have been tarnished forever, and even if he did change his ways, there are waaayyyy too many collectors who would never use him to grade their books. He would have to start from scratch, in a different location (not his mom's garage), come up with a different name, and then never let it be public knowledge that he has anything to do with the company for it to have even the slightest chance of succeeding.

PGX as a company could never be a competitor. Those letters have been tarnished forever, and even if he did change his ways, there are waaayyyy too many collectors who would never use him to grade their books. He would have to start from scratch, in a different location (not his mom's garage), come up with a different name, and then never let it be public knowledge that he has anything to do with the company for it to have even the slightest chance of succeeding.

What you are saying is he had a cash cow and totally screwed it up....

What you are saying is he had a cash cow and totally screwed it up....

MOOOOOOOO said the cow