• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

When will/will the WALKING DEAD bubble burst?
7 7

3,607 posts in this topic

LIZZIE !!!!

This girl is ready to take over the show and make it soar to new heights. Her scene last night was my favorite, and completely grabbed my attention. :)

tumblr_mw69yp35Yv1r9g7c3o1_500.jpg

Im right there with you bro!

Her and her little sister

"The Peep Squad"

Carl as the ring leader, Forget about it

:-)

Edited by HusTrucK

Any predictions on when, or even if, the walking dead bubble will burst?

After s3 if it is no good?

As s3 starts because everyone will bring their comics to market hoping to cash in?

It's crashing now?

I don't know if any of those are true but opinions would be interesting.

Tomorrow at 9:00 a.m. EST :grin:

All these posts about the show being boring are ridiculous. The mid -season finale was unbelievably awesome. If by boring you mean it incorporates elements of the book and is sometimes repetitive, then I disagree. If you're not fans of the show or the book anymore then sell your books and don't watch the show. Simple as that.

Did anyone here actually not like the mid season finale on Sunday????

The writing is way better than last season and Andrew Lincoln has said that the best is yet to come for this season. With this and a new show and all of these ratings, the exposure of the walking dead continues to increase. More exposure leads to more people seeking out the comic, which increases demand. This seems to be logical, for anyone who disagrees, I challenge you to find a similar circumstance to compare it to showing that this bubble will burst anytime soon.

:o

All these posts about the show being boring are ridiculous. The mid -season finale was unbelievably awesome

You haven't justified this claim, just because you like it does not mean others have to.

If by boring you mean it incorporates elements of the book and is sometimes repetitiveIt is repetitive, but much of the complaining I see, and agree with, is how much the characters whine and fail to take direct action,

then I disagree. If you're not fans of the show or the book anymore then sell your books and don't watch the show. Simple as that.I am not sure I understand this is necessary or relevant

Did anyone here actually not like the mid season finale on Sunday????It was all right. No board walk empire season three finale

The writing is way better than last season Does this mean you admit last season it was bad?

and Andrew Lincoln has said that the best is yet to come for this season. never believe self promotion

With this and a new show and all of these ratings, the exposure of the walking dead continues to increase. More exposure leads to more people seeking out the comic, which increases demand. This seems to be logical, for anyone who disagrees, I challenge you to find a similar circumstance to compare it to showing that this bubble will burst anytime soon. Continued improvement is not guaranteed, we have already seen a significant softening of prices and history shows that humans love to over price commodities in bouts of irrational exuberance and prices later crash, see tulipomania, the south sea bubble, the Mississippi company, Tech companies in the early 2000s, the GFC etc etc etc

:o

All these posts about the show being boring are ridiculous. The mid -season finale was unbelievably awesome.

Weren't those comments made before the mid-season finale?

All these posts about the show being boring are ridiculous. The mid -season finale was unbelievably awesome.

they were made yesterday (monday) and the mid-season finale was shown on Sunday... so no.

they were made yesterday (monday) and the mid-season finale was shown on Sunday... so no.

I have been saying it is boring for ages does that count lol ?

I see no comments to that effect from yesterday.

. With this and a new show and all of these ratings, the exposure of the walking dead continues to increase. More exposure leads to more people seeking out the comic, which increases demand.

Ratings do not necessarily equate to increased exposure.

Ratings were up 15% vs the last December mid-season finale. While still increasing, they aren't increasing by the previous leaps and bounds (Last year's end of season finale ratings were a whopping 58% higher than the season 2 finale).

Likely what we are seeing is two things.

Ratings tabulations are a constantly shifting sand. I dont know if they've started including the +24hr DVR viewings in the ratings or not, but that could account for some of the increase, and regardless some of the new audience is probably shifted viewing from the "record it and watch it later" crowd moving to the "watch it live so the internet doesnt spoil it" mindset.

Either way, unless there is something significant to expand the audience, and I dont think a second show on the same network really ADDS any audience (just gets the same eyes twice as much), I think we'll continue to see a nice 10% climb year over year. Now if there's a movie that does 200 million, or an actual zombie outbreak that drives people to watch the Walking Dead like its DIY Tv, then I could see big increases in viewership.

Regardless, what do you think these transaction numbers mean:

# of Walking Dead 9.8 sales (via GPA data)

2012: 92

2013: 113 (to date with December to go)

Do more sales mean there are more buyers, or more sellers?

In other words are people who were holding the Walking Dead selling them off at a higher rate than in previous years, or was there an increase in buyers here in Season 4? And the increased number of buyers helped drive the prices up?

If you look at the month by month price growth 2012 vs 2013 you can see a few things:

ntlZKnK.jpg

• In 2012 there was growth in the off season (From April to October) leading up to the new premier.
  • In 2013 it was very uneven with a 4 month dropoff after the finale (April thru July) with recovery in the two months leading up to the October release.
  • In 2012 there was a dropoff after the premier (in Oct/Nov sales) with a rebound after the finale (December sales)
  • In 2013 we mirrored the dropoff in October/November dropoff in sales (almost identically reverting to the previous July's average price), the question is...

1. will we see a December rebound like last year in the prices?

2. Will we see 2012's off season growth, 2013s plateau, or will we see prices fall off?

I see no comments to that effect from yesterday.

oh whoops I misunderstood your post, I thought you were saying that Ccmp99's comment was before the finale aired... I understand what you meant.

internet reading comprehension for me is a C minus at best.

. With this and a new show and all of these ratings, the exposure of the walking dead continues to increase. More exposure leads to more people seeking out the comic, which increases demand.

Ratings were up 15% vs the last December mid-season finale. While still increasing, they aren't increasing by the previous leaps and bounds (Last year's end of season finale ratings were a whopping 58% higher than the season 2 finale).

Ratings tabulations are a constantly shifting sand. I dont know if they've started including the +24hr DVR viewings in the ratings or not, but that could account for some of the increase, and regardless some of the new audience is probably shifted viewing from the "record it and watch it later" crowd moving to the "watch it live so the internet doesnt spoil it" mindset.

Either way, unless there is something significant to expand the audience, and I dont think a second show on the same network really ADDS any audience (just gets the same eyes twice as much), I think we'll continue to see a nice 10% climb year over year. Now if there's a movie that does 200 million, or an actual zombie outbreak that drives people to watch the Walking Dead like its DIY Tv, then I could see big increases in viewership.

In other words are people who were holding the Walking Dead selling them off at a higher rate than in previous years, or was there an increase in buyers here in Season 4? And the increased number of buyers helped drive the prices up?

If you look at the month by month price growth 2012 vs 2013 you can see a few things:

ntlZKnK.jpg

• In 2012 there was growth in the off season (From April to October) leading up to the new premier.
  • In 2013 it was very uneven with a 4 month dropoff after the finale (April thru July) with recovery in the two months leading up to the October release.
  • In 2012 there was a dropoff after the premier (in Oct/Nov sales) with a rebound after the finale (December sales)
  • In 2013 we mirrored the dropoff in October/November dropoff in sales (almost identically reverting to the previous July's average price), the question is...

2. Will we see 2012's off season growth, 2013s plateau, or will we see prices fall off?

(worship)(worship)

Met I always find your analysis interesting and thorough and I think you do an excellent job with some difficult data. :applause:

If you find the show so boring, stop watching.

I intend to do just that. I'm tired of this group never making what I'll call any "forward progress". It's the same plots endlessly recycled. Add a bunch of members so you can have a blood bath killing them off. Kill people in ever more gruesome ways. About the time the group settles in and starts doing something constructive, have some major calamity and scatter them all over the country side - so you can have them find each other again and start over.

It's not boring. It's senseless and stupid. The groups do so many stupid things trying to list them all would be work.

For instance. Last time Rick's group drew the Governor's people into the prison and kicked their asses. Should have wiped them out, but that is a different issue. Sunday, they stand along the fences guns blazing. The Governor had already announced he wanted the place intact. So retreat inside and wait. It isn't safe for he and his people to stand outside the fence for days, so he'll either come in or go away. At some point the Gov's people have to try to take the prison from the inside, one cell block at a time. Advantage to Rick's team.

And of course a good rifle and a scope could have taken the Gov out and the remaining people probably would have taken the offer to coexist.

Then Rick goes mano a mano with the Governor as he walks past the bus he's hiding behind. That no one else notices is stupid too. What, they all forgot he was behind the bus?? But that's not quite as stupid as Rick - who gets the absolute snot beat out of him. Here is a suggestion Rick: He just cut off Hershel's head and he's leading a small army. Shoot the SOB in the back as he walks by. At this point, Rick's kid is smarter and a better leader than his old man.

I'm done. But it won't affect the comic book prices, as I don't read or purchase them.

Edited by Tony S

I intend to do just that. I'm tired of this group never making what I'll call any "forward progress". It's the same plots endlessly recycled. Add a bunch of members so you can have a blood bath killing them off. Kill people in ever more gruesome ways. About the time the group settles in and starts doing something constructive, have some major calamity and scatter them all over the country side - so you can have them find each other again and start over.

It's not boring. It's senseless and stupid. The groups do so many stupid things trying to list them all would be work.

For instance. Last time Rick's group drew the Governor's people into the prison and kicked their asses. Should have wiped them out, but that is a different issue. Sunday, they stand along the fences guns blazing. The Governor had already announced he wanted the place intact. So retreat inside and wait. It isn't safe for he and his people to stand outside the fence for days, so he'll either come in or go away. At some point the Gov's people have to try to take the prison from the inside, one cell block at a time. Advantage to Rick's team.

And of course a good rifle and a scope could have taken the Gov out and the remaining people probably would have taken the offer to coexist.

Then Rick goes mano a mano with the Governor as he walks past the bus he's hiding behind. That no one else notices is stupid too. What, they all forgot he was behind the bus?? But that's not quite as stupid as Rick - who gets the absolute snot beat out of him. Here is a suggestion Rick: He just cut off Hershel's head and he's leading a small army. Shoot the SOB in the back as he walks by. At this point, Rick's kid is smarter and a better leader than his old man.

I'm done. But it won't affect the comic book prices, as I don't read or purchase them.

I though the mid-season finale was entertaining and maintained the level of suspense and horror I have come to expect from this show. I'll be back for more episodes. I don't read the comic, so I'm guessing we'll spend the remainder of the season putting the group back together and I have my suspicions Carole will show up. So far for me, the Walking Dead, Revolution, Sleepy Hollow, and Dracula are delivering the entertainment this season. Revolution almost lost me last season, but this season has been really good. Sleepy Hollow has been consistently good since the start. Dracula started slow, but has really hit it's stride the past few episodes.

I'm probably done with Haven and Agents of Shield. They will join a myriad of other shows I've watched but decided to stop because I lost interest. I cannot think of one event on either of these shows that I remember, whereas with the Walking Dead, there are several scenes and storylines that stand out this season.

While I foresee more levelling off of the Walking Dead comic prices, I don't see the success of the TV show slowing down any time soon.

So basically you don't like the show, you wont buy or read the book, and you're spending time writing in a walking dead thread?

ntlZKnK.jpg

Thanks for the great info. The graph does show some similarity in the previous year. It will be interesting to see what happens this month.