• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

When will/will the WALKING DEAD bubble burst?
7 7

3,607 posts in this topic

Tl;dr: The fact that it’s made it this far shows it’s for real, but just based on its momentum and the odds, there’s only one place to go when you’re riding this high…

I have no idea why i'm posting here since I find this thread ridiculous, but anyway, I'll have at it. Before I jump in, i'll say that I'm a huge WD fan, but i'm also not delusional. The book has lost a good amount of momentum, and I'm not just talking price on the #1. I’ve gotten out of all WD comics that I owned, and other than a #1 and a few #92’s (still think Jesus is a major character ala Michonne) I’ve moved my entire collection into the series OA.

So- has the book peaked? Probably! But nonetheless, the comic has:

A: One of the most feverent and wide fan bases of any current franchise or entertainment entity around.

B: It's arguably the most important and influential comic of the last 20 years, and if you think that's hyperbole, I don't think you're giving it the credit it deserves.

C: It's been around for 10 years, and regardless of where it is now, I think most would consider 1-48 to be a damn good story.

D: It has one of the most notable and respected writers/creators in comics, and Kirkman pretty much churns out properties for various mediums on an annual basis.

E: The comic was popular before the show.

F: The buzz has created actual demand and high prices for it’s original art, which for a modern book seems to be tricky (i.e., there’s enough of a demand that forces fans at times to pay stupid prices for it [::raises hand::]. What I'm trying to say is that even beyond the TV show, it's got more going for it than the floppies/trades.

G: To top it off, it's got a major TV franchise that's only growing whether you like the show or not.

Now, I can't imagine that those highlights would make it disappear anytime soon. That said, there are some BIG flags that would freak me the hell out if I were Kirkman:

A: Issues 49-99; 103-111. You cannot tell me that there was not a drastic drop off in story line. It was hard to hang on during these arcs. Very hard. Also, the idea that you can essentially follow TWD formula is alarming: find a place to settle + encounter a bad guy/guys + fight + lose everything and get back on the road again. Yes, that’s the formula for a lot of stories, but for TWD, that’s all we've ever had.

B: The show to me has already shot/aired what I believe is the best draw from the book. I fear that it’s all downhill for here and have no idea what they can do based on what’s in the comic. I hope and believe they will come through. This segues into...

C: I don’t necessarily know if the show is converting viewers into readers. It got me, but I'm not sure if there are enough people like me.

D: Robert Kirkman is very ambitious (thank goodness!), and while the book is always on time, his other commitments can’t help but interfere with potentially making TWD as compelling as possible.

E: The show is targeting 18-34, and while we’re great with discretionary income, our attention spans are awful. Even incredible shows and franchises come and go and fall by the way side. I don't think TWD will be any different.

This is ridiculous; top points A-D, E & F are your opinion and have no factual basis of support.

You are making things up and passing them off as fact.

no he's not.

A. key word here is "One of..." and he's correct.

B. key word is "arguably" and again he's correct.

C. It HAS been around 10 years. and he says

"I think most would consider 1-48 to be a pretty good story." key word "I think." and the majority of people that I've seen read those issues, did enjoy the story.

D. Kirkman IS one of the most notable writers/creators in comics. This isn't even arguable.

E. This is arguable, depending on what you consider popularity. I would say it was popular before the show, but if you think popularity means selling a 100,000 copies, then it wasn't to you.

F. The buzz HAS created more demand and higher prices for OA. I've been buying OA since way before the show, and it was cheap then. The show brought way higher prices.

I'm curious, if WD #1's price is inflated by interest in the tv show and flippers, what happens when the bloom is off the rose, the flippers move away from the series, and a good chunk of the WD #1 copies out there find a semi-permanent home in the long boxes of collectors?

Will reduced availability drive the price back up? Will less demand drive the price down? Or will those two factors combine to form a rift in space/time that will destroy all reality as we know it?

hm

Tl;dr: The fact that it’s made it this far shows it’s for real, but just based on its momentum and the odds, there’s only one place to go when you’re riding this high…

I have no idea why i'm posting here since I find this thread ridiculous, but anyway, I'll have at it. Before I jump in, i'll say that I'm a huge WD fan, but i'm also not delusional. The book has lost a good amount of momentum, and I'm not just talking price on the #1. I’ve gotten out of all WD comics that I owned, and other than a #1 and a few #92’s (still think Jesus is a major character ala Michonne) I’ve moved my entire collection into the series OA.

A: One of the most feverent and wide fan bases of any current franchise or entertainment entity around.

B: It's arguably the most important and influential comic of the last 20 years, and if you think that's hyperbole, I don't think you're giving it the credit it deserves.

C: It's been around for 10 years, and regardless of where it is now, I think most would consider 1-48 to be a damn good story.

D: It has one of the most notable and respected writers/creators in comics, and Kirkman pretty much churns out properties for various mediums on an annual basis.

F: The buzz has created actual demand and high prices for it’s original art, which for a modern book seems to be tricky (i.e., there’s enough of a demand that forces fans at times to pay stupid prices for it [::raises hand::]. What I'm trying to say is that even beyond the TV show, it's got more going for it than the floppies/trades.

G: To top it off, it's got a major TV franchise that's only growing whether you like the show or not.

Now, I can't imagine that those highlights would make it disappear anytime soon. That said, there are some BIG flags that would freak me the hell out if I were Kirkman:

A: Issues 49-99; 103-111. You cannot tell me that there was not a drastic drop off in story line. It was hard to hang on during these arcs. Very hard. Also, the idea that you can essentially follow TWD formula is alarming: find a place to settle + encounter a bad guy/guys + fight + lose everything and get back on the road again. Yes, that’s the formula for a lot of stories, but for TWD, that’s all we've ever had.

B: The show to me has already shot/aired what I believe is the best draw from the book. I fear that it’s all downhill for here and have no idea what they can do based on what’s in the comic. I hope and believe they will come through. This segues into...

C: I don’t necessarily know if the show is converting viewers into readers. It got me, but I'm not sure if there are enough people like me.

D: Robert Kirkman is very ambitious (thank goodness!), and while the book is always on time, his other commitments can’t help but interfere with potentially making TWD as compelling as possible.

E: The show is targeting 18-34, and while we’re great with discretionary income, our attention spans are awful. Even incredible shows and franchises come and go and fall by the way side. I don't think TWD will be any different.

This is ridiculous; top points A-D, E & F are your opinion and have no factual basis of support.

no he's not.

"I think most would consider 1-48 to be a pretty good story." key word "I think." and the majority of people that I've seen read those issues, did enjoy the story.

D. Kirkman IS one of the most notable writers/creators in comics. This isn't even arguable.

E. This is arguable, depending on what you consider popularity. I would say it was popular before the show, but if you think popularity means selling a 100,000 copies, then it wasn't to you.

F. The buzz HAS created more demand and higher prices for OA. I've been buying OA since way before the show, and it was cheap then. The show brought way higher prices.

Nope, opinion. No data to support the position, no information to substantiate points.

Except point C, time frame isn't really arguable.

Point F, is an observation but an opinion about the cause.

no he's not.

Nope, opinion.

Nope, facts.

You weren't even buying OA prior to the show, so you can't speak on that. I was. I know.

I was trying to say super heros feel all the same to me as the zombie are all the same to poster which I replied to.

Then you need glasses bad, buddy.

I watch The Walking Dead and I can say with certainty that the zombies in that show are no different than the zombies in a hundred other movies, tv programs, books, comics, etc. so good luck with your foolish investment once the TV show gets cancelled and the speculators all move onto the 'new hot thing".

Seriously, we've all be through this a million times and I can remember friends of mine telling me that Howard the Duck #1 was going to be a "major comic" going forward and that I should buy a few extras.

Print run certainly does have some effect on price. To say it has "absolutely nothing" to do with price is a gross overstatement.

No, I am correct, the print run of a comic has absolutely nothing to do with its valuation. Absolutely nothing.

Now, if demand spikes and the available HG copies are lower than expected (due to many factors, attrition, print defects, print run, recycling drives, etc.) then it can affect price. But by itself, it is absolutely positively 100% worthless as an indicator of value.

Before the Walking Dead, I don't recall Marvel turning their heroes into Zombies for other zombie genre movies...

I also don't recall Archie having an afterlife, or any of the other zombie inspired comic.

lollollollol

Talk about specious logic at its worst.

Zombies and horror in general were experiencing a revival in the early 2000's, and it really reached a fever pitch with 28 Days Later, which IMO was the catalyst for the whole "Zombie Fad". A year later, The Walking Dead appeared *because* of the increase in attention to zombies in general, not the other way around. doh!

What year were you people born, 2003?

Was walking dead responsible for those developments in comicdom? I was deeply into zombies, and their pop culture profile seemed to be increasing sharply long before TWD.

I remember the zombie craze beginning with 28 Days Later and being further accentuated by the Romero remakes.

And while TWD began publishing a few months before Dawn of the Dead was released, I don't remember any buzz around the comic until 2006-2007 while the Romero remake was a hit. But that might just be the way I experienced the phenomenon, not how it was actually accelerated.

No, that's pretty well how it went. Pop culture was into a "Zombie Revival" in the early-2000's and 28 Days Later was the main catalyst (though not the first), as well as the X of the Dead remakes, etc.

The Walking Dead *rode* that wave, it didn't create it.

no he's not.

Nope, opinion. No data to support the position, no information to substantiate points.

Whilst the first couple of points are slightly hyperbolic, D, E and F are facts, not opinions.

D: Kirkman is currently one of the hottest writers in comics - there's a reason why *spoon* like Hardcore #1 was dug up from its well-deserved grave & re-published.

E: Even prior to the show, WD was Image's #1 selling comic book - whilst it wasn't as popular as it is now, there's no doubt it was popular back then as well.

F: WD OA prices have sky-rocketed because of the increased popularity of the comic (which is due to the TV show buzz).

I'm curious, if WD #1's price is inflated by interest in the tv show and flippers, what happens when the bloom is off the rose, the flippers move away from the series, and a good chunk of the WD #1 copies out there find a semi-permanent home in the long boxes of collectors?

Will reduced availability drive the price back up? Will less demand drive the price down? Or will those two factors combine to form a rift in space/time that will destroy all reality as we know it?

hm

That's what I feared I began seeing over time. I know some will say the book's risen steadily, but especially this year, there was an influx of copies graded-- most of which high grade-- that to me drove demand down enough that it made me flinch. So i got out while i could, i have a high grade comic that i paid a little for, and I'm happy where I'm at. Prices will absolutely drop long term, but the people thinking this is a $500 book in 20 years are dreaming. There will always be ENOUGH demand. It's too good of a story.

I was trying to say super heros feel all the same to me as the zombie are all the same to poster which I replied to.

Then you need glasses bad, buddy.

I watch The Walking Dead and I can say with certainty that the zombies in that show are no different than the zombies in a hundred other movies, tv programs, books, comics, etc. so good luck with your foolish investment once the TV show gets cancelled and the speculators all move onto the 'new hot thing".

Seriously, we've all be through this a million times and I can remember friends of mine telling me that Howard the Duck #1 was going to be a "major comic" going forward and that I should buy a few extras.

Just collecting becuase I like the Walking Dead. I invest in my business,401k and other things that I hope are good long term. No dout things come and go.If it drops in price I will buy Moar.It might be à good thing for the speculators to move on....no worries here it that happens

Just collecting becuase I like the Walking Dead.

Then why are you in this thread screaming and yelling about what a great investment the book currently is?

I like the Walking Dead too, but I'd have to be brain-dead to pay current prices for this flash-in-the-pan.

I'd have to be brain-dead to pay current prices for this flash-in-the-pan.

That's my thoughts on this as well. I sold my black label #1 9.8 last year and bought a low grade Action #10 with the money, smartest comic move I ever made.

Just collecting becuase I like the Walking Dead.

Then why are you in this thread screaming and yelling about what a great investment the book currently is?

I like the Walking Dead too, but I'd have to be brain-dead to pay current prices for this flash-in-the-pan.

I don't remember screaming and yelling what a great investment the book currently is......... (shrug) Maybe I need more than glasses.

But your rite I should not be in this thread lol

My problem is that I feel the same way about almost the entire comic market.

It's been giving me a real 1990 vibe lately.

My problem is that I feel the same way about almost the entire comic market.

It's been giving me a real 1990 vibe lately.

You may be right, but the books/properties with the shortest history are always the ones to fall the first and the farthest. i.e. Moderns.

In the event of a total market meltdown, which would you rather be holding:

1) A mid-grade CGC copy of Action 1

or

2) The equivalent value in CGC 9.8 TWD #1's

If you answered 2), go hit your head against the wall until you feel like picking 1).