• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

When will/will the WALKING DEAD bubble burst?
7 7

3,607 posts in this topic

I watch the show and read the comics, the show went downhill this season and the comic book is getting bored...what I hate is that the majority of the TWD fans don't know anything about the Zombie industry or the Horror Industry.

I watch the show and read the comics, the show went downhill this season and the comic book is getting bored...what I hate is that the majority of the TWD fans don't know anything about the Zombie industry or the Horror Industry.

:sorry: I just hate it when the few know what the many don't......It gives them an unfair advantage

I am a huge walking dead fan, not so much huge zombie fan, bug big walking dead fan. A lot of the issues are coming down in price, I have noticed a decrease in 27 and 48. #19 still holding on , but you can grab some issues for on the cheap side not like this time in 2012 and early 2013.

Heck I think #1 is coming down in price, #1 was going for 2200-2500 now they are pushing 1800, a 9.6 didn't even sell on these boards for 1100. Could be the bubble could be show in the off season could be a lot of stuff. But if the " bubble " does pop on the walking dead I can still see 9.8s for +1000 or near too, just for the idea of the walking dead being a cult classic.

I was in New York In 2011 didn't collect a comic book in 20 years decided to go to midtown comics and look around, huge walking dead fan remember. Saw all this cool walking dead stuff was deciding between the walking dead omnibus $40 or the book they had on the wall #1 for $75 well I went with the omnibus

But it got me collecting comics again.

The walking dead #1 is still my grail to this day and if I pay 2000 or 800 I still want one an will be happy with it, i do not see that book crashing and burning and picking a 9.8 up for 300 at some point in my life time

This is what I meant by downward pricing pressure. I do not think there will be a "pop". I think prices are going to slowly move downward. I too do not see #1's in NM+ grades being $300. I think there are too many people that would like to own a copy that would step up at 25% less, more still at 50% less than today's prices.. But I also think there is simply a LARGE supply of the books in NM or better grades and that to maintain the current prices requires a LOT of people willing to pay today's prices.

If you purchase at today's prices, do so as a collector that wants the book now. The likelihood of further increases in prices is remote. The money has already been made by those there first.

This is what I meant by downward pricing pressure. I do not think there will be a "pop". I think prices are going to slowly move downward. I too do not see #1's in NM+ grades being $300. I think there are too many people that would like to own a copy that would step up at 25% less, more still at 50% less than today's prices.. But I also think there is simply a LARGE supply of the books in NM or better grades and that to maintain the current prices requires a LOT of people willing to pay today's prices.

If you purchase at today's prices, do so as a collector that wants the book now. The likelihood of further increases in prices is remote. The money has already been made by those there first.

Walking Dead #1 is a great comic book to use as a barometer against other key comic books. It has a print run a little over 7,000, but still that is considered a lot of copies to some. So if 7,000 copies is considered a lot, then what does that say for most 1970s,1980s and 1990s keys that have print runs over 200,000? hm

Makes you think not only about investing in Walking Dead, but also makes you think about investing in post 1970 comics as well.

Walking Dead #1 is a great comic book to use as a barometer against other key comic books. It has a print run a little over 7,000, but still that is considered a lot of copies to some. So if 7,000 copies is considered a lot, then what does that say for most 1970s,1980s and 1990s keys that have print runs over 200,000? hm

Makes you think not only about investing in Walking Dead, but also makes you think about investing in post 1970 comics as well.

No offense, I typically enjoy your perspective, but the logic in this post is a little loose.

No offense, I typically enjoy your perspective, but the logic in this post is a little loose.

Yeah I was all over the place with that one.

I was trying to say certain generations will never get that the Walking Dead #1 is this generation`s mega key. Walking Dead #1 could have a print run of 999,and people of a certain generation would still say it`s a fad.

(shrug)

Edited by ComicConnoisseur

A low print run has absolutely nothing to do with an issue's valuation, otherwise Hulk 181 would be worthless and those "1-issue print run" museum books would be worth billions. And how many issues of GA Superman/Batman/etc. did they print? A few million a month?

Plus, The Walking Dead isn't a true marketable commodity, as there is nothing intrinsically different from their zombies than anyone else's zombies, so let's how much of a "mega key" Walking Dead 1 is a few years after the TV show gets cancelled. Trust me, it won't be a pretty sight.

Yeah I was all over the place with that one.

I was trying to say certain generations will never get that the Walking Dead #1 is this generation`s mega key. Walking Dead #1 could have a print run of 999,and people of a certain generation would still say it`s a fad.

(shrug)

I agree that "generationally," there are different collecting priorities. For instance, I would bet that many GA books will be in danger when the BabyBoomers all move into fixed income situations. Not all titles, but many of the ones whose characters are no longer relevant and whose artwork is no longer appreciated (this is a tragedy by the way).

In terms of the Walking Dead, I am sure there are plenty of people that want this book because they appreciate the series. However, I would contend that the price is lifted heavily by people trying to make a buck, versus collecting out of series loyalty. This has just been my experience with people that actually own the book (versus this who aspire to own it or fans of the series). FYI - this site is not a good barometer of this, as this is a forum of comic collectors and fans at heart.

Specifically, I disagree that Walking Dead is any "generation's" mega key. As popular as it is, it is still no where near the popularity of superheroes (Batman, Spiderman, Superman and maybe Ironman) or TMNT for more recent generations. Truth be told, I am sure there will always be people that want a copy of Walking Dead (at least for another 50 years or so). But I find it hard to believe that many (meaning enough to garner multiple thousand dollar price points on WD#1) will be nostalgic for zombies and zombie collectables 20 years from now. Nostalgia is everything for long-term greatness and a must-have for long-term value.

"FYI - this site is not a good barometer of this, as this is a forum of comic collectors and fans at heart."

lol

(shrug)

Seriously though, if you ask a comic/series fan if a comic book/key collectible will continue to be valuable forever, it is not like you will get an objective response.

"YES, of course my beloved "thing" will continue to be unfalteringly awesome forever. My investment is sound and I am the greatest and smartest person on the planet!" Says every boardie ever..

This is the WORST place for an objective conversation. About anything really...

"FYI - this site is not a good barometer of this, as this is a forum of comic collectors and fans at heart."

lol

(shrug)

Seriously though, if you ask a comic/series fan if a comic book/key collectible will continue to be valuable forever, it is not like you will get an objective response.

"YES, of course my beloved "thing" will continue to be unfalteringly awesome forever. My investment is sound and I am the greatest and smartest person on the planet!" Says every boardie ever..

This is the WORST place for an objective conversation. About anything really...

i will agree that THIS area of the website is filled with old geezers who gladly wear their rose colored glasses.

A low print run has absolutely nothing to do with an issue's valuation, otherwise Hulk 181 would be worthless and those "1-issue print run" museum books would be worth billions. And how many issues of GA Superman/Batman/etc. did they print? A few million a month?

Plus, The Walking Dead isn't a true marketable commodity, as there is nothing intrinsically different from their zombies than anyone else's zombies, so let's how much of a "mega key" Walking Dead 1 is a few years after the TV show gets cancelled. Trust me, it won't be a pretty sight.

........I feel the same way about super heros

........I feel the same way about super heros

So they are both bad bets…? :baiting:

To be fair: you have stated in previous posts that the WD market has shifted from collectors to "flippers," that you are a true fan willing "to go down with the ship" and that you only collect what you like, not for investment purposes.

If you feel this way, why argue one way or the other?

I am going to go down with the ship if need be.........that has not changed :insane:

I was trying to say super heros feel all the same to me as the zombie are all the same to poster which I replied to.

Which are you a WD collector or WD flipper? Do you have a pony in the race one way or another?

Edited by James J