• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

When will/will the WALKING DEAD bubble burst?
7 7

3,607 posts in this topic

Pittsburgh is a zombie mecca. Out at one of Todds (he is a senior overstreet advisor) stores at century 3, they have all the early Walking dead issues collecting dust for about 6 months now in the case. At the mills store they have a bunch of walking dead back issues to on display noone seems to be interested in. (they actually downsized the Walking dead section at Cranberry last year)

At the recent Pittsburgh Comic-con usually there are lots of people buying walking dead merchandise but this year was definitely a bust.

Zombies are definitely fading a bit but thats the thing. I dont think the book will ever drop below $500, even when the dust settles.

But realistically, looking at the census numbers (quite a few 9.8's there) there is no way this book can maintain such a high value.. especially with the sharp decline in zombie popularity this last year... the fact every season but the first is kind of bad isnt doing the book good either.

everything boils down to census numbers vs demand. however this book despite the 10,000 print run was still horded and there are hundreds if not,thousands of 9.8's out there.

The fact walking dead #1 is selling for the same price or more than a 9.8 bronze key is sort of wonky considering those rare bronze 9.8's have as few 5-25 total in the census.

I respectfully disagree. By now WD 1 is a well entrenched modern blue chip key, to the point where people buy on the dips, thus raising the price back up whenever it falls below a certain level. Its initial print run is actually closer to 7300, not near the 10k you mentioned, and while 700 9.8/9.9's on the census certainly sounds like a lot, it is not as though they are all on the market simultaneously, and clearly their scarce availability at any given time is enough to maintain a very strong price point.

-J.

"modern | blue chip | key"

lol

Oxymoron: a figure of speech by which a locution produces an incongruous, seemingly self-contradictory effect, or are expressions composed of words that are not inherently mutually exclusive but express an opinion that the two cannot occur together.

(shrug)

I would have to agree. I don't think any true 'blue chips' from the modern era have yet to be established.

I would have to disagree.

WD #1 even though over valued by 25%-35% till the show ends is still a blue chip book.

AF 15 of the modern age.

eh, might be a little early to call it the "AF 15" of the modern age. AF 15 only is what it is because generation after generation of children have fallen in love with Spiderman and grown old enough spend a butt-load (sorry for the technical term) on his first appearance.

Its been what, just under 11 years since WD 1 was released? Popular or not, I might give it a bit more time before I equivalize it to one of the most highly collected and revered books in the hobby...

You know, just to be sure and all.

:D

I am sure.

Pittsburgh is a zombie mecca. Out at one of Todds (he is a senior overstreet advisor) stores at century 3, they have all the early Walking dead issues collecting dust for about 6 months now in the case. At the mills store they have a bunch of walking dead back issues to on display noone seems to be interested in. (they actually downsized the Walking dead section at Cranberry last year)

At the recent Pittsburgh Comic-con usually there are lots of people buying walking dead merchandise but this year was definitely a bust.

Zombies are definitely fading a bit but thats the thing. I dont think the book will ever drop below $500, even when the dust settles.

But realistically, looking at the census numbers (quite a few 9.8's there) there is no way this book can maintain such a high value.. especially with the sharp decline in zombie popularity this last year... the fact every season but the first is kind of bad isnt doing the book good either.

everything boils down to census numbers vs demand. however this book despite the 10,000 print run was still horded and there are hundreds if not,thousands of 9.8's out there.

The fact walking dead #1 is selling for the same price or more than a 9.8 bronze key is sort of wonky considering those rare bronze 9.8's have as few 5-25 total in the census.

I respectfully disagree. By now WD 1 is a well entrenched modern blue chip key, to the point where people buy on the dips, thus raising the price back up whenever it falls below a certain level. Its initial print run is actually closer to 7300, not near the 10k you mentioned, and while 700 9.8/9.9's on the census certainly sounds like a lot, it is not as though they are all on the market simultaneously, and clearly their scarce availability at any given time is enough to maintain a very strong price point.

-J.

lol

Oxymoron: a figure of speech by which a locution produces an incongruous, seemingly self-contradictory effect, or are expressions composed of words that are not inherently mutually exclusive but express an opinion that the two cannot occur together.

(shrug)

I would have to agree. I don't think any true 'blue chips' from the modern era have yet to be established.

WD #1 even though over valued by 25%-35% till the show ends is still a blue chip book.

AF 15 of the modern age.

eh, might be a little early to call it the "AF 15" of the modern age. AF 15 only is what it is because generation after generation of children have fallen in love with Spiderman and grown old enough spend a butt-load (sorry for the technical term) on his first appearance.

Its been what, just under 11 years since WD 1 was released? Popular or not, I might give it a bit more time before I equivalize it to one of the most highly collected and revered books in the hobby...

I am sure.

lol

-J.

lol

(shrug)

AF 15 of the modern age.

I am sure.

lol

Besides Batman 608 RRP and WD #1 what is there really to call a pull chip book from the modern age.

WD #1 introduced main stream characters to the world.

If TMNT #1 is best book of the copper age you have to put WD #1 the best of the Modern age so far.

Just my view but yes time will tell....

Edited by Spiderman-on-Tilt

-J.

lol

(shrug)

AF 15 of the modern age.

I am sure.

lol

Besides Batman 608 RRP and WD #1 what is there really to call a pull chip book from the modern age.

WD #1 introduced main stream characters to the world.

If TMNT #1 is best book of the copper age you have to put WD #1 the best of the Modern age so far.

Just my view but yes time will tell....

Nothing wrong with your view, I just found the level of certainty you were writing humorous.

Based on your posts and sales we share very similar loves (AF 15, TMNT 1, etc), WD just doesn't happen to be one of them.

I am interested to see what happens after the show is "dead" for 2-3 years.

Who knows.

More so AF 15.

TMNT #1 are really cool books but that was to fund other ventures, namely my AF 15 2nd copy and Lasik eye surgery. (thumbs u

Edited by Spiderman-on-Tilt

More so AF 15.

TMNT #1 is a really cool books but that find was to fund over ventures, namely my AF 15 2nd copy and Lasik eye surgery. (thumbs u

(thumbs u

I am in the process of upgrading to low/mid grade AF 15 (3.5-4.5ish), just sold my 1.8.

More so AF 15.

TMNT #1 are really cool books but that was to fund over ventures, namely my AF 15 2nd copy and Lasik eye surgery. (thumbs u

(thumbs u

I am in the process of upgrading to low/mid grade AF 15 (3.5-4.5ish), just sold my 1.8.

Nice! (thumbs u

I actually have no interest in ever owning an AF #15. Even if I found one at a great price it would quickly be sold. TMNT #1 I can relate to better only because I like the characters and I consider it a book (at least the first printing) that is somewhat scarce. I would call this a 'blue chip' copper age 'key' issue. The series survived a successful relaunch and is being enjoyed by a whole new generation of fans which is key for any kind of collectible to survive long term in today's market.

The Walking Dead on the other hand has only been around since 2001. One of the primary reasons for its rapid growth is the fact that it has a television series currently airing, but it has yet to stand the true test of time (note that TMNT is approaching thirty years old).

Several years after the series is cancelled I don't see this book maintaining its current prices levels. In fact I would venture to say that once the show is cancelled a lot of speculators will begin to sell their books. While this may not have an immediate impact on prices; as the series is slowly forgotten it will. As eloquently stated many times, "time will tell." It always does...

I actually have no interest in ever owning an AF #15. Even if I found one at a great price it would quickly be sold. TMNT #1 I can relate to better only because I like the characters and I consider it a book (at least the first printing) that is somewhat scarce. I would call this a 'blue chip' copper age 'key' issue. The series survived a successful relaunch and is being enjoyed by a whole new generation of fans which is key for any kind of collectible to survive long term in today's market.

The Walking Dead on the other hand has only been around since 2001. One of the primary reasons for its rapid growth is the fact that it has a television series currently airing, but it has yet to stand the true test of time (note that TMNT is approaching thirty years old).

Several years after the series is cancelled I don't see this book maintaining its current prices levels. In fact I would venture to say that once the show is cancelled a lot of speculators will begin to sell their books. While this may not have an immediate impact on prices; as the series is slowly forgotten it will. As eloquently stated many times, "time will tell." It always does...

I respect your opinion with this, but I am going to use the Transformers as an example. When the animated Transformers TV series came out years ago the Transformer comic books were hot sellers in the LCS like the X-Men, then the animated Transformers got cancelled then like you say what will happen to the Walking Dead is Transformer sales dropped. Ok, you say that proves your point, but what happened to the Transformers was it never went away, and it rose again with billion dollar grossing movies. The same thing will happen with Walking Dead. Yes, TWD will eventually get cancelled, but someday they will bring it back as a trilogy on the big screen say like in 25 years?

People will then pay bigger bucks for TWD #1 in 25 years then they do now.

I can see young people who can`t afford TWD#1 now spending big bucks for it in 25 years.

So yeah your right it will cool down after the TV series is cancelled, but I see it rising again when they go to make TWD Hollywood movie blockbusters.

In the end TWD #1 is a winner.

Edited by ComicConnoisseur

Speaking of Transformers.

I am surprised how little respect this gets.

It came out the same year 1984 as TMNT#1

I would stock up on these as well.

250px-MarvelUS-01.jpg

This used to be a $1,000 book in 9.8. Now what is it at? I don't think it is ever coming back to those insane levels again.

Transformers was a successful toy line created by Hasbro first and foremost; The Walking Dead is not. It was not created as a comic book first and then became a television series. Again, much like the Star Trek analogy you used earlier I don't think it can compare. It is like comparing apples to oranges and hoping the analogy fits because of the emotional attachment involved. You have expressed a lot of emotional attachment towards The Walking Dead in the past and I respect this. Unfortunately from an investment standpoint this is where things can quickly fall out of focus and become an issue. As a result, there is nothing I or anyone else on this forum can say to convince you otherwise and I say this with full respect (I mean this in general terms towards anyone who has an emotional attachment to something).

For instance, I know an acquaintance who collects United States postage stamps. Personally I hate stamps as I would never collect something that was intended to be licked. However, for the last decade or so he has been saying how stamp collecting is going to make a successful comeback and how it a an 'undervalued' and underappreciated' hobby. Unfortunately, I think since we have started to long recover from the Great Recession and stamp prices have still remained stagnant overall he is learning that this is not the case. Does this analogy apply to The Walking Dead? Absolutely not. The point of the analogy was just to show how emotional attachment can cloud one's thinking. Truth be told I think you would be better off with some vintage factory sealed Star Wars toys...but then again maybe that is my nostalgia clouding my judgment. I never said I wasn't immune either!

250px-MarvelUS-01.jpg

This used to be a $1,000 book in 9.8. Now what is it at? I don't think it is ever coming back to those insane levels again.

Transformers was a successful toy line created by Hasbro first and foremost; The Walking Dead is not. It was not created as a comic book first and then became a television series. Again, much like the Star Trek analogy you used earlier I don't think it can compare. It is like comparing apples to oranges and hoping the analogy fits because of the emotional attachment involved. You have expressed a lot of emotional attachment towards The Walking Dead in the past and I respect this. Unfortunately from an investment standpoint this is where things can quickly fall out of focus and become an issue. As a result, there is nothing I or anyone else on this forum can say to convince you otherwise and I say this with full respect (I mean this in general terms towards anyone who has an emotional attachment to something).

For instance, I know an acquaintance who collects United States postage stamps. Personally I hate stamps as I would never collect something that was intended to be licked. However, for the last decade or so he has been saying how stamp collecting is going to make a successful comeback and how it a an 'undervalued' and underappreciated' hobby. Unfortunately, I think since we have started to long recover from the Great Recession and stamp prices have still remained stagnant overall he is learning that this is not the case. Does this analogy apply to The Walking Dead? Absolutely not. The point of the analogy was just to show how emotional attachment can cloud one's thinking. Truth be told I think you would be better off with some vintage factory sealed Star Wars toys...but then again maybe that is my nostalgia clouding my judgment. I never said I wasn't immune either!

If the Walking Dead "bubble" does burst (which it won't by the way, because it is not in one), we should all be concerned with the health of the overall modern age comic market as a whole, since the Walking Dead series is one of the major underpinnings of it.

-J.

Denial is not just a river in Egypt.

FYI - stock up on Beanie Babies as well! Now that we are years past the initial craze, everyone has thrown them out and they are in scarce numbers again. Millions of teenagers that have grown into adults will want to relive their childhood of that short-lived craze and are going to be willing to shell out the big bucks!

250px-MarvelUS-01.jpg

If the Walking Dead "bubble" does burst (which it won't by the way, because it is not in one), we should all be concerned with the health of the overall modern age comic market as a whole, since the Walking Dead series is one of the major underpinnings of it.

-J.

So we are now claiming that The Walking Dead is equivalent to the health of the modern age comic book market as a whole? I believe by that logic we just changed the question from 'When will/will the Walking Dead bubble burst?' to 'Is the modern age of comic books based solely on speculation?'

I respect your opinion with this, but I am going to use the Transformers as an example. When the animated Transformers TV series came out years ago the Transformer comic books were hot sellers in the LCS like the X-Men, then the animated Transformers got cancelled then like you say what will happen to the Walking Dead is Transformer sales dropped. Ok, you say that proves your point, but what happened to the Transformers was it never went away, and it rose again with billion dollar grossing movies. The same thing will happen with Walking Dead. Yes, TWD will eventually get cancelled, but someday they will bring it back as a trilogy on the big screen say like in 25 years?

People will then pay bigger bucks for TWD #1 in 25 years then they do now.

I can see young people who can`t afford TWD#1 now spending big bucks for it in 25 years.

So yeah your right it will cool down after the TV series is cancelled, but I see it rising again when they go to make TWD Hollywood movie blockbusters.

In the end TWD #1 is a winner.

Not saying that this wont happen but the situation you are positing requires many factors to align.

I would not say the bubble has bust but we have seen significant downward movement on issues number 1.

Denial is not just a river in Egypt.

FYI - stock up on Beanie Babies as well! Now that we are years past the initial craze, everyone has thrown them out and they are in scarce numbers again. Millions of teenagers that have grown into adults will want to relive their childhood of that short-lived craze and are going to be willing to shell out the big bucks!

I never participated in the Beanie Babies craze back in the day but 3 weeks ago I had bought a storage unit and inside was a tub with beanie babies (60 of them). I didn't want to deal with the hassle of listing every single one so I put an ad on Craigslist$ 600 obo and someone actually offered $500 for the tub.

Now I'm sure back in the day I might have been able to get a kings ransom but I was happy to get $500 for them especially considering I paid $95 for the unit and I sold the rest of the other stuff as well

and transformers as a comparison... well people aren't beating down the door for a Transformers #1 in 9.8, so while there's world wide recognition of the brand, the comic has not had any sort of bump because of the movies (at best it has a nostalgia bump with 30/40-somethings with some $$ to spare)

TMNT is a better comp, and the books scarcity kept prices up even when the franchise was not active.

Yes TMNT has a third of the books on census, and a much bigger condition spread, but it is a bronze book vs a modern, and it does enjoy a bigger price tag because of it... but the point is TMNT, after the TV show ended, after the movies came and went, after Vanilla Ice finished rapping about pizza, the book continued to maintain value with no (or not much) dip, and has been growing ever since as one of the iconic 80s books to have in an Copper collection

Walking dead could very well be the book in "modern" (Or whatever we call this era in 20 years) that does the same thing.