• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

When will/will the WALKING DEAD bubble burst?
7 7

3,607 posts in this topic

I love WD. I simply don't see any logical reason why it would continue to rise indefinitely. There are absolutely no analogues in comics. Especially other media tie in comics.

I think as soon as the comic and/or TV series has run its course, it will see a 1/3 - 2/3 adjustment downward. Then when the Rule of 25 kicks in, watch out!!

All this said, if you love WD and you can afford it without making the kids drink hot dog water for nutrition, have at it.

Sean has an excellent point here...the rule of 25 will prevail on Walking Dead. I know my kids who are 10 and 12, all they talk about with their classmates on a Monday morning is Walking Dead this and Walking Dead that. They've even brought classmates home for the sole purpose of seeing a "real WD #1".

When I set up at Fan Expo last year, amongst all the books in the room, teens were coming over to look at their "dream wall" of a half dozen graded #1's, wanting to take pictures with a copy etc etc

They can't afford the grand for them at the time, but someday they will. I know there was a 15 year old girl that swore to her father that she would work at his business for the entire summer for free if he bought her a WD #1 from my display.

As well the 9.6/9.8's on the census I doubt is very accurate at all, I know that book is constantly getting CPR'd more than probably any other modern.

Jim

WD 1-10 has a lower print run than Crow.. Wayyy lower

WD is mainstream wheres Crow is underground (it opened at #1 with $11,774,332, not bad for movie, but def not mass hysteria)

I don't recall Crow/CP #1 ever going for more than 2-300.00, even at peak time, and especially on an on going and growing basis like WD in the past year..

Judging by the viewership AND demographics of WD you SHOULD compare it to Harry Potter & Twilight books more than Crow or even TMNT (because of demographics)

I dont think its the best comic of all time, or that it will always be as big as now but WD #1 will ALWAYS be a KEY book

I think the truth is probably somewhere in-between. TWD will not be popular forever. Prices will not consistently rise forever. I think it will hold up better than "The Crow" and other such comparables, though. Whether $2.8K for a 9.8 #1 or the 5-figure offers I've received for my TWD original cover art are sustainable, though...who knows. I see a case to be made that the upside is already built in at those levels, even if the series/TV show remains popular for several more years.

Eventually, its popularity will fade. Not sure if it will quickly become forgotten like Lost or Heroes, but it will surely fade. In fact, one organization I know has done a socionomic study of the popularity of horror films and the zombie craze. It is not a coincidence that the Universal monster characters debuted on film during the hard times of the Great Depression (e.g., Dracula, 1931; Frankenstein, 1931; The Bride of Frankenstein, 1935; The Wolf-Man, 1941) or that George Romero's "Night of the Living Dead" was a hit during the turbulent Vietnam era of the late '60s. TWD would probably have flopped during the go-go years of the '80s, for example, but it's the perfect show for the current hard times of the post-bubble, post-crisis era. At some point, social mood will favor cheery material again and shows like TWD will fall off in popularity. It's inevitable.

I'm holding onto my TWD cover art because it's one of the best out there and I love the show and the comic book series. If I owned it purely for financial reasons, I'd probably think very hard about selling it now, though. I mean, is it really going to be a $25K-$30K+ item in the future? Maybe, but I'd be surprised if I could get more than the $15-$20K I could get for it now anytime soon (if ever).

Oh, and about The Rule of 25...for every instance it works, there's probably 10 or more instances it doesn't. It is definitely not a statistically reliable phenomenon. Are people really going to be clamoring for TWD memorabilia in 25 years? I doubt it. More likely that it'll be like "Lost". After that series ended, they immediately auctioned off all the props from the show. I doubt much, if any, of that material could be re-sold at a profit today, and it will almost surely not hold its value over 25 years.

Here's a list of the most popular toys of 1987:

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_were_the_most_popular_toys_in_1987

How many people were clamoring for these last year? (shrug)

One thing that blows me away about TWD is the people who buy it. I know guys at work who's wives go to the LCS and buy the monthly title. Even though before the show, they probably didn't know where it was.

I think it's too different than anything that's come before it to make a comparison, but it sure is interesting.

Not really.

Crow #1 had a print run of 10k - yeah, that's higher than WD #1, but for a book that came out in 1989 it's nothing.

Crow #2's print run was 7k - compared to 6k for WD #2.

Crow #3's print run was 5k - compared to 7k for WD #3.

For issue #4, Crow jumps to 12k whilst WD jumps to 8,300.

And, again, we're comparing a book that came out during the age of CGC versus one that didn't.

Comparatively speaking, there's no doubt that there are far more high grade copies of WD #4 out there than there are Crow #4s - even though Crow #4 had a print run that was 4k larger.

WD is mainstream wheres Crow is underground (it opened at #1 with $11,774,332, not bad for movie, but def not mass hysteria)

I don't recall Crow/CP #1 ever going for more than 2-300.00, even at peak time, and especially on an on going and growing basis like WD in the past year..

Judging by the viewership AND demographics of WD you SHOULD compare it to Harry Potter & Twilight books more than Crow or even TMNT (because of demographics)

I dont think its the best comic of all time, or that it will always be as big as now but WD #1 will ALWAYS be a KEY book

You kind of swung and missed a bunch here.....

Wayyyy Lower Print Run for Walking Dead?? (shrug)

Walking Dead #1 print run: about 8,000

Walking Dead #2 print run: about 6,000

Walking Dead #3 print run: about 7,000

Crow #1 print run: 10,000

Crow #2 print run: 7,000

Crow #3 print run: 5,000

All of the crows had impossible in high grade wrap around all black covers.

The numbers you should be concerned with are the census figures.

There are FORTY WD #1's in 9.8 or better for every 1 copy of Crow #1 in 9.8 or better.

Raw numbers? 558 copies of WD that nice to 14 Crow #1's.

The Crow debuted at #1 at the box office. The top slot in it's opening weekend. The Crow had over $50 million in the box office initial release...over $100 million in today's dollars. Not underground by any stretch. It's also sold millions of DVD units over the years.

The Crow Soundtrack was a Number #1 billboard album, and went double platinum.

Crow #1 has been as high as $1000 and CP #1 as high as $900.

Harry Potter points at a DRAMATICALLY broader demographic than WD. It just does.

Comparing a comic with a real readership of about 50,000 or so readers and a solid basic cable TV show that's surprised people with it's good ratings to novels that have sold millions of copies and made billions upon billions of dollars around the globe, appeal to 8 year-olds as well as 80 year-olds, and has spawned friggen permanent theme parks and museum exhibits is an exercise in delusions of grandeur that broke all measuring devices that actually measure delusions or grandeur.

You kind of swung and missed a bunch here.....

Wayyyy Lower Print Run for Walking Dead?? (shrug)

Walking Dead #1 print run: about 8,000

Walking Dead #2 print run: about 6,000

Walking Dead #3 print run: about 7,000

Crow #1 print run: 10,000

Crow #2 print run: 7,000

Crow #3 print run: 5,000

All of the crows had impossible in high grade wrap around all black covers.

The numbers you should be concerned with are the census figures.

There are FORTY WD #1's in 9.8 or better for every 1 copy of Crow #1 in 9.8 or better.

Raw numbers? 558 copies of WD that nice to 14 Crow #1's.

The Crow debuted at #1 at the box office. The top slot in it's opening weekend. The Crow had over $50 million in the box office initial release...over $100 million in today's dollars. Not underground by any stretch. It's also sold millions of DVD units over the years.

The Crow Soundtrack was a Number #1 billboard album, and went double platinum.

Crow #1 has been as high as $1000 and CP #1 as high as $900.

Harry Potter points at a DRAMATICALLY broader demographic than WD. It just does.

Comparing a comic with a real readership of about 50,000 or so readers and a solid basic cable TV show that's surprised people with it's good ratings to novels that have sold millions of copies and made billions upon billions of dollars around the globe, appeal to 8 year-olds as well as 80 year-olds, and has spawned friggen permanent theme parks and museum exhibits is an exercise in delusions of grandeur that broke all measuring devices that actually measure delusions or grandeur.

Actually, this debate is making my point for me.

The Crow was a huge hit for a nice chunk of the 90's in all manner of entertainment and licensing as I mentioned. Everyone knew what it was and was buying into it.

Now? People are arguing it was nothing and didn't matter.

Somewhere in the future, when the "next big thing" hits some people here will be doing a walk down memory lane to remind people how big Walking Dead once was, and they won't believe them. lol

One thing that blows me away about TWD is the people who buy it. I know guys at work who's wives go to the LCS and buy the monthly title. Even though before the show, they probably didn't know where it was.

...and, on the other hand, I just met someone who is a fan of the TV show and didn't realize it was based on a comic book series until I told him the other day. :doh: There are far more fans of the TV series than there are of the comic, and most of them will never pick up a copy of the book, let alone pay $3K for a copy of issue #1. I don't think you can really extrapolate from a few anecdotal examples; those wives buying the monthly title aren't the ones paying up for ultra HG slabs now, nor will they be paying even more than that 25 years from now. (shrug)

The crow mostly sucked. The first movie was interesting but pretty much no one watched more than just the first movie. Tv show? Who watched it? 4 or 5 movies? I remember 2. And the second one bombed. Cartoon? Now I think you're just making mess up.

Three successful seasons on tv, 109 issues so far and a kick video game. Walking dead is no Crow. And you don't have to be an early 90s goth girl to figure that out.

The crow mostly sucked. The first movie was interesting but pretty much no one watched more than just the first movie. Tv show? Who watched it? 4 or 5 movies? I remember 2. And the second one bombed. Cartoon? Now I think you're just making mess up.

Three successful seasons on tv, 109 issues so far and a kick video game. Walking dead is no Crow. And you don't have to be an early 90s goth girl to figure that out.

How to argue with no logic, no facts and no basis other than your own opinion. Well played, sir, well played.

How to argue with no logic, no facts and no basis other than your own opinion. Well played, sir, well played.

189j0.jpgvia Imgflip Meme Generator

Crow comics were ok IMO the first movie was good, but its success came at the tragic death of brandon lee. all the other movies ect were

...and, on the other hand, I just met someone who is a fan of the TV show and didn't realize it was based on a comic book series until I told him the other day. :doh: There are far more fans of the TV series than there are of the comic, and most of them will never pick up a copy of the book, let alone pay $3K for a copy of issue #1. I don't think you can really extrapolate from a few anecdotal examples; those wives buying the monthly title aren't the ones paying up for ultra HG slabs now, nor will they be paying even more than that 25 years from now. (shrug)

Both my brothers in law enjoy the show. I decided to buy them both the first trade for Christmas to see if I could get them reading. The first trade is really a pretty quick but solid read. Neither of them made it through. I don't even think one of them opened it.

So there are some that will never make the leap from TV to comics.

First of all this is all I could picture reading the above:

189pg.jpg

Second of all: "Kick Game"???

This one? Walking Dead Survival Instinct 4.0 out of 10.

Or maybe, this one? 3.0 out of 10

When it's not broken, it's inconsistent, and when it's not inconsistent, it's dull. The Walking Dead: Survival Instinct is a shoddy squandering of one of entertainment's hottest licenses.

Perhaps you meant this one? 4.0 out of 10

Oh., hold up....those are all the same game.

I'm sorry, I interrupted you, you were saying something about making stuff up as you went along.

Carry on. (thumbs u

First of all this is all I could picture reading the above:

189pg.jpg

Second of all: "Kick Game"???

This one? Walking Dead Survival Instinct 4.0 out of 10.

Or maybe, this one? 3.0 out of 10

When it's not broken, it's inconsistent, and when it's not inconsistent, it's dull. The Walking Dead: Survival Instinct is a shoddy squandering of one of entertainment's hottest licenses.

Perhaps you meant this one? 4.0 out of 10

Oh., hold up....those are all the same game.

I'm sorry, I interrupted you, you were saying something about making stuff up as you went along.

Carry on. (thumbs u

You know the Walking Dead game won game of the year in 2012, right?