• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

When will/will the WALKING DEAD bubble burst?
7 7

3,607 posts in this topic

Conan is a great example!! How much was this book 10 years after it came out? 20? and today? GPA anyone??

:news:

Value has not increased in all CGC grades since 2000. Mostly now trading at pre-2008 levels again.

2nd :news:

Walking Dead #1 will NEVER trade higher than it has in 2012 even a hundred years now.

Only way it can go is down and that is mortal lock guarantee.

3rd :news:

I can be an opinionated know it all SOB sometimes so I am sorry. :foryou:

Make no mistake WD #1 is the AF 15 of the modern age.

:facepalm:

lol

lol lol lol

Now you are just being difficult. :baiting:

Name the best book then since 2000 and prove me wrong. :popcorn:

lol

lol lol lol

17yme.jpgvia Imgflip Meme Generator

Actually its apples to apples.

GA Action #1

SA AF 15

CA TMNT #1

Modern Age WD #1

Not talking about value. #1 book from that era.

Edited by Spiderman-on-Tilt

Two suck arse shows. (shrug)

(Well to be fair Lost Season 1 and 2 was good)

lol

lol lol lol

17yme.jpgvia Imgflip Meme Generator

Actually its apples to apples.

GA Action #1

SA AF 15

CA TMNT #1

Modern Age WD #1

Not talking about value. #1 book from that era.

hm

Superman.jpg

spiderman-read.jpg

teenage-mutant-ninja-turtles-cgi.jpg

????

:shrug:

Guest Grails

lol

lol lol lol

Off the top of my head, Bone is a better series than WD. Plus, there are around 30 copies graded at 9.6 and above for the first issue. WD #1 has over 800 copies in 9.6 and above.

Conan is a great example!! How much was this book 10 years after it came out? 20? and today? GPA anyone??

:news:

Value has not increased in all CGC grades since 2000. Mostly now trading at pre-2008 levels again.

2nd :news:

Walking Dead #1 will NEVER trade higher than it has in 2012 even a hundred years now.

Only way it can go is down and that is mortal lock guarantee.

3rd :news:

I can be an opinionated know it all SOB sometimes so I am sorry. :foryou:

Actually not such a good example as the movie wasnt based on the comic, but it still does have a following and commands top dollars nonetheless

Funny, was reading this article and saw this thread.

2-reasons-the-walking-dead-could-be-a-billion-dollar-franchise

On second thought.. I may hold on to my set for just a little longer ;)

The TMNT ship has sailed. If you want to play that game you'll have to come off the cash.

TMNT will only go up.

I think Walking Dead will have a painful correction at some point. It may have legs, but I'm starting to have my doubts.

If this is a bubble and it does pop, I believe it will hurt the hobby as a whole. But honestly I disagree that it is a bubble and I feel it has pumped a lot of blood back into the hobby. No one wants just one expensive comic book. Thats just boring. Eventually collectors spread their branches into other books. Even into other collectables like toys or autographs or cards. Collectors collect. This ain't wall street. Your not going to wake up tomorrow to the walking dead comics you own being worthless. It's just not going to happen.

I really want a hulk 181 too. And a giant sized x-men #1. Bone #1 would be great to own, maybe first appearance of moon knight or ghost rider... I look at marvel silver age #1s like they are classic muscle cars and golden age dc and horror like their exotic sports cars. And were taking about ink, paper and staples people. Don't underestimate the appeal of comic books. Walking dead has earned its spot and will forever be a sought after collectable.

I really want a hulk 181 too. And a giant sized x-men #1. Bone #1 would be great to own, maybe first appearance of moon knight or ghost rider... I look at marvel silver age #1s like they are classic muscle cars and golden age dc and horror like their exotic sports cars. And were taking about ink, paper and staples people. Don't underestimate the appeal of comic books. Walking dead has earned its spot and will forever be a sought after collectable.

Historical data is the best instrument to go by for sustained value of collectables.

I have a feeling WD is in a class of its own and might not have historical analogues to directly compare as apples to apples.

Yes, history has shown that comics that don't have the "key hero characters" can depreciate in value once the hype is over. This is certainly possible.

The only comparison I feel is appropriate to TMMT is that nobody could have predicted the lasting power those characters have had over the past 20 years with kids. Even my 8 year old son loves TMNT.

We won't see children embracing WD (for obvious reasons) to keep the interest alive for generations unless adults from generation to generation continue to keep interest in the show. History has shown that is unlikely.

I'm usually not a modern risk taker or collector. My bet (and probably misguided) is that WD1 has staying power.

I don't believe that WD 19, 27, 92, etc will contine to yield the amounts we've seen as years go on.

Time will tell. What I wouldn't advise is someone buying into the books now....it's top market and even more of a risk to see returns on your purchase.

My .02 cents.

I traded my Walking Dead #1 CGC 9.8 black label last year for a coverless Action Comics #10 and I haven't regretted it for a single second, even in the face of Walking Dead #1 almost doubling in price during that amount of time.

I think Mark1 has hit upon some great points and very well said. (thumbs u

One of the advantages the Walking Dead has is it's incredible pop culture presence. Like TMNT, there are games, toys, t-shirts, and tons of other types of merchandise. Walking Dead isn't just a TV show, it's now become to define zombies as Dracula has done for vampires.

While I know I referenced the Captain Marvel "syndrome". the more I think about it, the less I think it's equal. You have a very different world nowadays and unlike the days of the 1940s, we have so many other avenues for exposure. Video games, internet, mobile gaming units and access to pretty much everything at your fingertips.

Take into account the audience for Walking Dead is that prized 18-34 age group. they are not shy about spending disposable income.

I really think the Walking Dead is a complete abnormality and we would have to go back to the TMNT's peak to find it's equivalent. It might be 25-30 yrs before we see something one this scale again.

Of course, nothing is impervious. Issue 1 could drop significantly in value, but I don't think it will ever be a $100 book. I think of the Spider-man 1 Platinum. It was a $1000 book at the time. Now it's a $75-150 in NM+ raw. There are so many variables to consider :

The print run is low

There are no variants of issue 1

There isn't a real comparison. Unless I am mistaken, there hasn't been a comic book that has crossed over to this level. Not even the TMNT, although close.

Will there be a WD movie after the TV show ends ?

What will happen when Kirkman leaves the series ? - Will the series end or will another creative team take over ? -

That being said, I am getting myself a WD 1 and while it's "top of the market", it's not that much that I feel it's a huge gamble. I've wasted more money on things that I don't even know what they were (shrug)