• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Russ Cochran Comic Art Auctions - a 30 years Retrospective
2 2

1,169 posts in this topic

Terry

What was your understanding of the reason why Mad 8 cover did not sell?

I really don't have an answer for you, Stephen.

The cover was listed as being available for auction, yet in the results (posted in the next catalog), the lot was listed as 'No Item'.

Perhaps the item was withdrawn? I do know that Gaines retained a number of Mad cover paintings.

If memory serves, I believe Steven Spielberg purchased the original cover art to Mad # 1 hm

Can anybody confirm this?

Yes

My understandig was that it was George Lucas who bought it .

Between the two of them, George Lucas and Steven Spielberg have purchased the original art for 11 covers of Mad featuring spoofs of their movies. Spielberg owns the artwork for the cover to issue #1.

If memory serves, I believe Steven Spielberg purchased the original cover art to Mad # 1 hm

Yes

No, it was Spielberg. I recall one Board member even ran into Spielberg in person in recent years and asked him about it. He still owns it.

Yes

No, it was Spielberg. I recall one Board member even ran into Spielberg in person in recent years and asked him about it. He still owns it.

My mistake

auction1a-36.jpg

At this stage, I was planning another side-trip to the business of unfurling the long run of Cochran auction catalogs I subscribed to, but I'll now leave this for a short while until I have more free time at hand.

In the meantime, lets have a look at selected highlights from Russ Cochran's Comic Art Auction Catalog # 37 (March 28 and 29, 1989).

With this catalog, all of the EC New-Trend art had been auctioned-off and Russ began selling (on behalf of Bill Gaines) the New-Direction art.

EC New-Trend art would continue to re-appear for auction on consignment, or from an inventory of art that didn't sell first time around . . .

auction1c-32.jpg

During the month of October, 2004, I made my first trip to America and enjoyed a fortnight's vacation/honeymoon at Orlando, Florida. I actually got married over there!

One of my on-line friends from the Comicart-list, Lloyd Braddy, came down to see my during my trip - and we both then went on to visit Ken Danker at his home in Deland.

Ken was a good host and I happily drank most of his beer as we talked art and looked through his large inventory of originals throughout a very long and enjoyable night.

One of the items that caught my eye, during my visit to Ken's place, was the cover art to Aces High # 2 (item 12 on the above scanned catalog page).

On my return to the UK I e-mailed Ken to re-instate my interest in the Evans cover art (one of George's finest, in my opinion).

Following a short period of negotiation, Ken agreed to release the cover to me in trade (we'd traded art a number of times beforehand and he was always good to do business with).

As much as I enjoyed owning the Evans cover, I ended-up selling it to a collector-friend in recent times to help fund my house move of last year.

Although I was sad to see it go, I know it's in good hands and continues to be appreciated . . .

auction1g-29.jpg

From this auction I bought item # 48, "A Slight Case of Murder", a top-notch horror story by George Evans. Anyone who's followed this thread closely, so far, will perhaps remember that this 6-pager comes from my favourite EC Horror book, Vault of Horror # 33 (the cover to which I still own).

Sadly, I no longer possess the Evans story . . .