• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Books Graded - Pleased with the Service - Disappointed Yet Again by Buying Raw Books at Comic Con

21 posts in this topic

I decided to submit a few books that I picked up at NYCC and at Big Apple... How did they fare?

Let us see how we did. I guess my eyes are going or something.

ASM 21 - Advertised 6.0 - Received 5.5Q Last Page Missing

ASM 23 - Advertised 8.5 - Received 7.5

ASM 24 - Advertised F+ - Received 5.0

ASM 43 - Advertised 8.0 - Received 8.0 Color Touch

ASM 53 - Advertised 8.0 - Received 7.5

ASM 101 - Advertised VF - Received 7.0

ASM 119 - Advertised F - Received 9.0 (Ok.. win!)

Very disappointed. None of the books were from eBay. One book is from a major dealer, one book from a regular dealer. The rest picked up by a few guys I do not recall offhand but will recognize once I see them at NYCC and will avoid their tables.

The 21, 24, 43 and 53 will eventually be thrown up on eBay. I will keep the 101 and the 119. I am torn between getting rid of the 23. I already own a 9.0 copy of 23 with a small amount of color touch that is simply gorgeous. Yes, I know the 7.5 is "supposedly" better but as of now I would rather keep the 9.0 Restored.

Guess I am no good at buying raw books. Hopefully the Batman 47 and the Amazing Spider-man 3 I submitted last month restore my faith.

Thoughts?

9.0 With Small Amount of Color Touch or Universal 7.5?

See more journals by Buzzetta

That sucks. Sorry. There is however the thrill of buying raw and submitting to CGC and getting the box back...a little like Christmas when you were young....but in your case, you got underwear and socks.

As of now I am leaning towards keeping my ASM 23 in a 9.0 Restored with Small Amount of Color Touch and selling off the Universal 7.5. Keeping that 7.5 book in my collection, when I bought it advertised as a 9.0 would be a constant reminder of my folly.

Thinking of dumping it and calling it a few hundred dollar loss in Fantasy Football in a league I did not really join.

Man - I just don't buy high dollar raw books - I make too many errors in judgment...as for the 7.5 vs the 9.0 color touch - only you know your books and what makes you happy...keep what makes you happy, and recoup what you can by selling that which doesn't make you happy.

Lee K

Oh man, now I'm nervous about how the few books I picked up and submitted at WonderCon will fare. That totally stinks Buzzetta and you're handling it quite well I might add. Hope you can recoup a good portion of your investment.

P.S. I am not a fan of anything other than a blue or yellow label so I would keep the 7.5 universal copy, but that's just me.

sig.jpg

What a shame Buzz. Sorry to hear it.

I would try to return the book with the missing page and the book with colour touch.

There is a huge learning opportunity here, take advantage of it and turn this into a win.

First, as someone else mentioned, study each book closely to identify why it got the grade it did. This is a gold plated opportunity to become a better grader.

Second, study the colour touched book and learn to identify restoration. Could save you so much heartbreak in the future

Third, always count pages before buying a book and do the same before sending to CGC. Checking to see if the centerfold is correct isn't enough, you've gotta count pages. And every dealer should count pages before selling a book.

Last, it's up to you but I'd suggest that many of these books, even in the optimistic, pre CGC grade, aren't worth sending to CGC. At the estimated grade most of these books have a GPA value of about $100 each. Subtract the cost of grading fees and shipping and you'd be in the hole if you spent more than $60 on any of them. You'd be better off buying a graded copy.

I looked through my records... The ASM was sold to me in 8.5 condition not 9.0.

That was the only one were a few hundred was spent. The other books were not bought at high prices. The 101 was thrown in there because I figured what the heck, just to make the order seem worthwhile was I was at Big Apple.

Color Touch... I honestly cannot tell with certain books no matter how hard I try. I have a hard time finding it. So I always ask if the books have been restored.

Outside of the 23, the other books were not purchased for very much money at all. It made it worth it enough to buy and get slabbed if they were graded out a little closer to what they advertised as. The 23 is the big loss of the lot.

There is a huge learning opportunity here, take advantage of it and turn this into a win.

First, as someone else mentioned, study each book closely to identify why it got the grade it did. This is a gold plated opportunity to become a better grader.

Second, study the colour touched book and learn to identify restoration. Could save you so much heartbreak in the future

Third, always count pages before buying a book and do the same before sending to CGC. Checking to see if the centerfold is correct isn't enough, you've gotta count pages. And every dealer should count pages before selling a book.

All of this is great advice.

All of this is great advice.

:foryou:

And I hope my post didn't come across as less than compassionate. It's a kick in the teeth to get results like this and I really feel for the OP.

That's part of the tough thing with shows is trying to guage the grade on the floor. A major dealer (who contributes to Overstreet) gave me one of the worst times trying to haggle on price regarding the condition about 3 years ago. I needed the book, so I sucked it up and bought it.

CGC graded it. I was right. So I have never bought books from this person again.

That's part of the tough thing with shows is trying to guage the grade on the floor. A major dealer (who contributes to Overstreet) gave me one of the worst times trying to haggle on price regarding the condition about 3 years ago. I needed the book, so I sucked it up and bought it.

CGC graded it. I was right. So I have never bought books from this person again.

I agree and I too, have a harder time doing this on the floor than I do on eBay. Selling the books here will definitely result in a loss. I have no problem keeping the 101 and the 119. I think I will get more for these on eBay.

As far as the 23. That is going to be a loss. If it was in the 8.5 I would have gladly kept it. 7.5? I would rather keep my 9.0 with the small amount of CT on the cover. (The 9.0 is a really nice example of the book.)

I am not buying anything right now but I may keep an interest in a 9.0 universal 23 along with the Action 41 I always admire. Let's see what NYCC brings this year.

I think though I will be passing up one one of the dealers though. It's the second time a book was overgraded and a couple of other recent mishaps.

This is the precise reason I don't buy high grade comic books from "major" dealers at conventions. I've dealt with my fair share of smarmy dealers like the one you've decribed. These individuals adopt a "holier than thou" attitude if you even give them an inkling you're disputing their grade.

F that!

I buy my high grade comic books from certain sellers on eBay, and so far I have not been disappointed.

Nothing more I can add here--first or second raw submission was a kick in the teeth for just about everyone. Learn from it is my only suggestion--don't overlook defects because CGC usually doesn't.

In the case of the restored book you may do well to attempt to contact the seller and see if they can arrange a return. Most worth their salt should honor the return on the account of it not being as advertised. The .05-2.0 grades off happens based on their own grading--learn to apply CGC criteria to books to get better results next time.