• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Bronze Marvel Key First Appearances???

147 posts in this topic

Nova will likely be a much bigger pop culture icon in 24 months than Punisher...maybe

+1 I am pretty sure Guardians of the Galaxy will beat these Punisher box office numbers.

These are the Punisher box office numbers for his last two pictures.

Punisher:War Zone (2008) = Worldwide: $10,100,036

The Punisher (2004) = Worldwide: $54,700,105

Those are pitiful numbers.

Why ASM #129 is considered on the same stage as Incredible Hulk #181 baffles me?

Let`s take it even a step further and compare the Ghost Rider movies to Punisher`s.

Ghost Rider:Spirit of Vengeance(2012) = Worldwide: $132,563,930

Ghost Rider(2007) = Worldwide: $228,738,393

Clearly Marvel Spotlight #5 will be seeked out more in the future than ASM #129 if we go by overall interest in the characters.

Nova will likely be a much bigger pop culture icon in 24 months than Punisher...maybe

+1 I am pretty sure Guardians of the Galaxy will beat these Punisher box office numbers.

Why ASM #129 is considered on the same stage as Incredible Hulk #181 baffles me?

Let`s take it even a step further and compare the Ghost Rider movies to Punisher`s.

Clearly Marvel Spotlight #5 will be seeked out more in the future than ASM #129 if we go by overall interest in the characters.

doh!

:facepalm:

doh!

:facepalm:

I don`t see much overall growth in Marvel Spotlight 5,but it will be a better bet then ASM #129 in the long term. The only way I see ASM #129 being a good bet is that if the Jackal becomes a big player again. Also we can bet there will be another Ghost Rider movie before the Punisher.Punisher`s boxoffice for the last film made the latest Green Lantern and Green Hornet movies look like box office winners! Let`s face it ASM #129 has been overvalued for a long time now.It never should be considered a grail like Hulk #181. ;)

Marvel Spotlight #5 is a great book, but I don't think one can translate box office success (or lack thereof) to overall demand for their 1st appearance in a comic.

An who says that ASM 129 is considered on the same stage as Incredible Hulk 181? That hasn't been true since the early 1990s.

Marvel Spotlight #5 is a great book, but I don't think one can translate box office success (or lack thereof) to overall demand for their 1st appearance in a comic.

An who says that ASM 129 is considered on the same stage as Incredible Hulk 181? That hasn't been true since the early 1990s.

Really then explain why Ironman #55 and Marvel Superheroes #18 have jumped off the boards? It`s all about the Hollywood hype now.

Explain why Rocket Racoon`s first appearance in Marvel Previews has exploded since the Guardians of the Galaxy movie has been announced?

I will take it a step further, and will predict that in 3 years Rocket Racoon will be a bigger icon in mainstream than Punisher.

PHgv0W46ho7gin_1_m.jpg

Really then explain why Ironman #55 and Marvel Superheroes #18 have jumped off the boards? It`s all about the Hollywood hype now.

Explain why Rocket Racoon`s first appearance in Marvel Previews has exploded since the Guardians of the Galaxy movie has been announced?

I will take it a step further, and will predict that in 3 years Rocket Racoon will be a bigger icon in mainstream than Punisher.

PHgv0W46ho7gin_1_m.jpg

Avengers 2 has yet to be released, likewise for the Guardians of the Galaxy movie so as I said, you cannot translate box office success to increased comic prices because the movies have yet to be released. Hence, no box office success to speak of.

Second, the increase in price is fuelled by comic speculators, running up prices prior to the movies' release in the theatre. In terms of pop culture status, I really don't know how many non-comics folks will seek Guardians of the Galaxy t-shirts and PJ's for their kids, but I suspect the number is far less than you think.

PHgv0W46ho7gin_1_m.jpg

Avengers 2 has yet to be released, likewise for the Guardians of the Galaxy movie so as I said, you cannot translate box office success to increased comic prices because the movies have yet to be released. Hence, no box office success to speak of.

Second, the increase in price is fuelled by comic speculators, running up prices prior to the movies' release in the theatre. In terms of pop culture status, I really don't know how many non-comics folks will seek Guardians of the Galaxy t-shirts and PJ's for their kids, but I suspect the number is far less than you think.

I bet Rocket Racoon t-shirts, action figures and PJ`s will outsell Punisher t-shirts, action figures and PJ`s in three years. :baiting:

:grin:

PHgv0W46ho7gin_1_m.jpg

I bet Rocket Raccon t-shirts, action figures and PJ`s will outsell Punisher t-shirts, action figures and PJ`s in three years. :baiting:

:grin:

:roflmao:

Thank you to the poster above for pointing out that Ghost Rider 1 is the first appearance of Son of Satan, _not_ Marvel Spotlight 12 (although IIRC, it's arguably a cameo, with # 2 being the "first full.").

That's bugged me for years...

Just because The Punisher has been mishandled does not mean he's lame. He harkened a new era of the Anti-Hero (saying good bye to 50's-style Mickey Spillane characters), as he was the comic book version of Mack Bolan The Executioner (which I was also a fan of). Most of all, his character's traits are hardwired into pretty much anyone who isn't a practicing Buddhist that sometimes revenge and retribution is the best way to resolve a situation.

To say he's lame is a personal opinion, but to ignore what the character represents, and his value to our society is dismissive. Everyone can relate to The Punisher on some level, just as everyone can relate to Spider-man on some level. That's why his book commands what it does price-wise. He's a widely-known, very popular character.

What's lame and downright sad is that no one can seemingly translate this very common concept into something on-screen that is sellable to consumers.

Almost 40 years of desirability of the comic and popularity of the character as part of the Marvel Universe is not going to be erased by a couple of bad movies.

Actually I liked the 2004 Punisher Thomas Jane movie,and was surprised that they didn`t have him back for the sequel.

My contention is I just don`t see it as a grail on Incredible Hulk #181 level.

I see it slighly below Marvel Spotlight #5 and much below Iron Man #55.

I am baffled why ASM #129 continually goes for big money on EBay this last decade compared to Marvel Spotlight #5 and Iron Man #55. hm

Show this to most people:

Punisher_Huge_Skull_Black_Shirt.jpg

And they know who's logo it is, or at the very least, they have seen it before.

Ask most people who Rocket Raccoon is, and they'll ask you if he's some costumed character at Chuck E. Cheese. I'm sorry, but RR is going to come across just as lame on-screen to people as a Jedi light-saber dueling Yoda did.

I simply cannot believe they are making this movie, but hey - to each their own. Even Marvel is going to have to put out a stinker at some point.

Just because The Punisher has been mishandled does not mean he's lame. He harkened a new era of the Anti-Hero (saying good bye to 50's-style Mickey Spillane characters), as he was the comic book version of Mack Bolan The Executioner (which I was also a fan of). Most of all, his character's traits are hardwired into pretty much anyone who isn't a practicing Buddhist that sometimes revenge and retribution is the best way to resolve a situation.

To say he's lame is a personal opinion, but to ignore what the character represents, and his value to our society is dismissive. Everyone can relate to The Punisher on some level, just as everyone can relate to Spider-man on some level. That's why his book commands what it does price-wise. He's a widely-known, very popular character.

What's lame and downright sad is that no one can seemingly translate this very common concept into something on-screen that is sellable to consumers.

I would hope if they do make a new Punisher movie it be based on this

punisher1.jpg

That version would get me interested again.

I am baffled why ASM #129 continually goes for big money on EBay this last decade compared to Marvel Spotlight #5 and Iron Man #55. hm

If you look at all those books as a whole, The Punisher has much more exposure, products and branding in the marketplace than Ghost Rider or Thanos. That's why. ASM #129 is probably on grail lists of comic collectors who couldn't tell you which book Ghost Rider first appeared in. The Punisher has much more saturation in that sense - which is probably why his book is more valuable (although IM55 in HG is climbing).

I would hope if they do make a new Punisher movie it be based on this

punisher1.jpg

That version would get me interested again.

+1,000,000

Show this to most people:

Punisher_Huge_Skull_Black_Shirt.jpg

And they know who's logo it is, or at the very least, they have seen it before.

Ask most people who Rocket Raccoon is, and they'll ask you if he's some costumed character at Chuck E. Cheese. I'm sorry, but RR is going to come across just as lame on-screen to people as a Jedi light-saber dueling Yoda did.

I simply cannot believe they are making this movie, but hey - to each their own. Even Marvel is going to have to put out a stinker at some point.

I would have agreed untill I saw this EPISODE on

Avengers Earth's Mightiest Heroes. Damn the Rocket and the Guardians are kinda cool!