• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Bronze Marvel Key First Appearances???

147 posts in this topic

We're missing one that features a female character that made her first appearance in a Bronze title that already has a movie (though she wasn't in it), but is associated with a group that is currently having a movie made about them...(though she hasn't been announced as a character in the film)..

If only there were someone smart enough to fill us in...

Valkyrie ?

We're missing one that features a female character that made her first appearance in a Bronze title that already has a movie (though she wasn't in it), but is associated with a group that is currently having a movie made about them...(though she hasn't been announced as a character in the film)..

Valkyrie ?

Avengers #83, Bronze Age Key !

:applause:

Valkyrie ?

Good one!

I was referring to Mantis in Avengers 112.

But Valkyrie is a good one too!

Valkyrie ?

Good one!

I was referring to Mantis in Avengers 112.

But Valkyrie is a good one too!

:sorry: I wanted to win a "No Prize"

Haters gonna hate. Regardless of whether you like the character or not, the reality is that fandom has decreed that the 1st app of the Punisher is a major key.

It has become a major key. I never said it wasn't. I paid 20¢ for my copy. If I had to pay current prices, I'd spend my money on something else instead.

DG

I'll give you $3 for it. You'd make 15x your money. :grin:

Tempting!

DG

Haters gonna hate. Regardless of whether you like the character or not, the reality is that fandom has decreed that the 1st app of the Punisher is a major key.

It has become a major key. I never said it wasn't. I paid 20¢ for my copy. If I had to pay current prices, I'd spend my money on something else instead.

DG

Such as...?

Probably silver age. I have just about all the bronze age comics I've ever wanted. I collect to own a solid condition comic, not own the highest grade. I can't think of any bronze keys that I don't own already. There are some I don't care to own. If I had the equivalent value in cash, I'd buy pre-hero Tales to Astonish with it to complete my set or the extremely HTF Charlton Adult humor comics. My tastes have become more esoteric. The bronze keys are extremely cool to own, but after awhile, I've seen a hundred copies of each. Once you own a copy, it's a yawn to see them... yet again.

DG

I'm looking for key first appearances from 1970 - 1982. Key like punisher, not man-wolf.

I believe the Man-Wolf was/is an equally interesting character.

The Punisher’s success is largely unjustified, and even more is the price of Amazing Spider-Man #129. ;)

Please explain why you think the Punisher's success is largely unjustified?

Punisher is actually quite lame. He's just a guy with a bad attitude and a gun. I'm sure you can find that at any NRA gathering. For many years, Amazing Spider-Man #129 was collected as the first appearance of the Jackyl, not the Punisher.

DG

I'd like to know when? I've been collecting well before 1974 when ASM #129 came out,and it's always been about the Punisher on that book. (shrug)

Yeah, just a guy with a bad attitude and a gun that's taken out DD, Spidey and host of others. Just a guy with a bad attitude and a gun that's had three concurrent monthly titles. He may not be your cup of tea, but he's definitely not lame.

You are aware that comics are fiction and the writer determines the outcome of a battle? He's definitely lame whether people like him or not. Archie was a success and far more popular. In a world full of superheroes, he would be lame to read about too.

Hulk vs Punisher... Punsher would be a greasy spot afterwards.

DG

And to date, the only Archie/hero crossover has been Archie meets the Punisher.

And by the way, if your Man-Wolf ever met the Hulk, he'd be a greasy spot afterwards, too.

You're making this way too easy.

Next!

Agreed, but a guy walking around with a gun being an a-hole is boring. Guns are in almost every action drama on TV and in the movies. I'm just tired of guns on the screen and in literature. You'd think the guy might want to beef up his weaponry in case someone like Iron Man wanted to stop his vigilante behavior.

DG

Avengers 112 - 1st Mantis

a few more Avengers...

-James Rhodes (War Machine) - Iron Man 118

-Tigra - GS Creatures #1 (I think)

I was never an FF reader, but I didn't see any significant Bronze age characters on the list introduced in the FF. Is this true?

Isn't IM #118 the first appearance of JR, but, the first appearance of JR as War Machine #284? And, the first appearance of the WM armour sometime in between?

Moondragon first appeared as Madam MacEvil in Iron Man #54 and she was a key individual in a lot the early Thanos stories. She was in a lot of the Avengers stories also.

I guess they could leave her out of the next Avengers movie, but if they included her I'd think IM #54 might be more collectible.

DG

Avengers 112 - 1st Mantis

a few more Avengers...

-James Rhodes (War Machine) - Iron Man 118

-Tigra - GS Creatures #1 (I think)

I was never an FF reader, but I didn't see any significant Bronze age characters on the list introduced in the FF. Is this true?

Isn't IM #118 the first appearance of JR, but, the first appearance of JR as War Machine #284? And, the first appearance of the WM armour sometime in between?

IM #118 - first appearance of Jim Rhodes

IM #169 - Jim Rhodes replaces Tony Stark as Iron Man

IM #281 - first appearance of War Machine armor in cameo on last page

IM #282 - first full appearance of War Machine

Moondragon first appeared as Madam MacEvil in Iron Man #54 and she was a key individual in a lot the early Thanos stories. She was in a lot of the Avengers stories also.

I guess they could leave her out of the next Avengers movie, but if they included her I'd think IM #54 might be more collectible.

DG

She was also in the latest run of Guardians of the Galaxy (a really well done series), so it's possible she could end up in that movie...