• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

anybody watching collection intervention?

75 posts in this topic

You had to love the dealer doing the dealer-thing: "This is the kind of book that will be worth five, ten thousand dollars in the future." So you promise you'll give me $5K for this when I come back in ten years?

I would never accept a key book with graffiti, I mean, a signature on it, but setting that aside, obviously anybody would trade boxes of drek for keys. Problem is this was obviously a faked up deal for the show.

It's amazing how you can accumulate 30,000 books and not have them the whole lot be effectively worthless. That makes it so much harder to get rid of them. Because you're taking stuff that has tremendous value to your personally and not even getting compensated in actual value - you're really losing a lot for nothing. In this case, he's gaining a happy fiancee, of course, which is plenty valuable, but sure would be nice to have had some cash in the bank account too!

This was fun to watch. 30,000 certainly doesn't sound unreasonable to me, but you better have a house, not an apartment.

Maybe you should go on this show? A great way to meet a famous artist/writer like this guy just did. I just watched the episode. The collector is a tool.

Thats what I thought at first. After watching a little more though...It was evident the guy loved comics for the stories, art and nostalgia. He is just a comic lover.

I wish I had the affection for my collection that he has for his!

I think one of the things that struck me about the show was the message of actually caring about your collection and not just accumulating. In the first episode the Catwoman collector didn't really care about his collection. He was hiding it from everyone and because of that it wound up costing him when he tried to sell stuff. I think the thing that stuck with me was that I need to have a small enough collection where I can actually appreciate the pieces and take care of them rather than just turning a blind eye and saying that they OK because I say they are.

All in all I liked the show last night. The Transformers guy was killing me. Hiding your collecting through a business is not the right way to do it. I was thinking that if I was to do it I would make my books inventory and then move over to OA or something like that where I could put a line in the sand and say this is inventory and this is my collection.

I have a friend who collected comics like the comic book guy on the show. Probably way more stuff From goldenage to moderns. It got so bad that he and his wife got divorced. She took half of his comic collection. Let me warm you, the judge will not consider that the collection was started before they were married.

And that is why you sign a Prenuptial agreement!

I think one of the things that struck me about the show was the message of actually caring about your collection and not just accumulating. In the first episode the Catwoman collector didn't really care about his collection. He was hiding it from everyone and because of that it wound up costing him when he tried to sell stuff. I think the thing that stuck with me was that I need to have a small enough collection where I can actually appreciate the pieces and take care of them rather than just turning a blind eye and saying that they OK because I say they are.

All in all I liked the show last night. The Transformers guy was killing me. Hiding your collecting through a business is not the right way to do it. I was thinking that if I was to do it I would make my books inventory and then move over to OA or something like that where I could put a line in the sand and say this is inventory and this is my collection.

You are right. I sell collectables to fund my personal collection, but he was using this as an income and had no money left over to pay his bills. That is why he kept borrowing money from parents.

And since when do long boxes hold "200-225" comic books? It's a lot closer to 300 unless they've chintzed on long boxes in the last 10 years (haven't bought a new one in a while).

I caught that too. Bagged and boarded they hold around 250. Not bagged and boarded they hold around 300.

And since when do long boxes hold "200-225" comic books? It's a lot closer to 300 unless they've chintzed on long boxes in the last 10 years (haven't bought a new one in a while).

I caught that too. Bagged and boarded they hold around 250. Not bagged and boarded they hold around 300.

All of my long boxes were purchased in the late 90s and hold 300 bagged and boarded w/ enough room left to flip through them comfortably. Perhaps they are shorter now.

http://www.aol.com/video/collection-intervention-30000-comic-books-overrun-mans-home/517458684/?icid=maing-grid7|main5|dl32|sec1_lnk3%26pLid%3D198531

on aol news

please anyone with this problem..feel free to send me excess comic books action figures..statues..you know..your cool stuff..

I will help alleviate your addiction by taking them and giving them a proper home

I know you may be worried.."Will my Giant Sized Man Thing #1 be Okay at her house?"

Yes! Yes it will..I will even take any TTA s,AFs, ECs,Tecs, go go checks,hundred pagers many many wonderful books could have a happy home either in my comic book room, or my husband's comic book room. I have a china hutch, two glass front cabinets and dozens of frames for other types of collectibles .

We only have a problem taking 90's image glut books..and those "special collectors issues" with real genuine plastic gems and bullet hole/laser beam covers.

We will give them a new home they just may be shredded and used for kitty litter..

too much stuff is usually just a matter of perspective.

http://www.aol.com/video/collection-intervention-30000-comic-books-overrun-mans-home/517458684/?icid=maing-grid7|main5|dl32|sec1_lnk3%26pLid%3D198531

on aol news

please anyone with this problem..feel free to send me excess comic books action figures..statues..you know..your cool stuff..

I will help alleviate your addiction by taking them and giving them a proper home

I know you may be worried.."Will my Giant Sized Man Thing #1 be Okay at her house?"

Yes! Yes it will..I will even take any TTA s,AFs, ECs,Tecs, go go checks,hundred pagers many many wonderful books could have a happy home either in my comic book room, or my husband's comic book room. I have a china hutch, two glass front cabinets and dozens of frames for other types of collectibles .

We only have a problem taking 90's image glut books..and those "special collectors issues" with real genuine plastic gems and bullet hole/laser beam covers.

We will give them a new home they just may be shredded and used for kitty litter..

too much stuff is usually just a matter of perspective.

:roflmao:

I agree. Dude can set up at the next show with those 3,000+ books, have a $1.00 sale, and make out like a bandit.

He could do ok.

How many shows would he have to set up at to sell all 3000+ ? What is the cost of the show? Lug 3K in books around multiple times. How many will actually sell?

I agree. Dude can set up at the next show with those 3,000+ books, have a $1.00 sale, and make out like a bandit.

He could do ok.

How many shows would he have to set up at to sell all 3000+ ? What is the cost of the show? Lug 3K in books around multiple times. How many will actually sell?

I think the dealer made out on that deal. The guy had sets of copper stuff that was organized, bagged and boarded. While the books aren't worth much individually, they will fetch decent money if sold in sets. 3000+ books w/complete sets should make the dealer $2-3k easily.

Even Quasar 1-60 if sold as a set fetches almost $75 by itself.

looks like it's a moot point tho. the sale was 'for show' apparently.

here's what is on the CI site - per joe, the deal didn't happen and he's still got.....issues. pun intended. :insane:

Is there any item out there, you don't own, that you'd just love to get your hands on?

I never did sell those books for that Incredible Hulk 181 So that is still top of my want list.

Do you now set boundaries on how much or how often you're allowed to collect items?

I've ALWAYS set boundaries on my collecting and nothing has changed there.

How did Elyse's visit help you as a collector?

With all due respect, Elyse's visit did not help my collecting perspective.

here is the link -

http://www.syfy.com/collectionintervention/article/interviews/page/8

looks like it's a moot point tho. the sale was 'for show' apparently.

here's what is on the CI site - per joe, the deal didn't happen and he's still got.....issues. pun intended. :insane:

Is there any item out there, you don't own, that you'd just love to get your hands on?

I never did sell those books for that Incredible Hulk 181 So that is still top of my want list.

Do you now set boundaries on how much or how often you're allowed to collect items?

I've ALWAYS set boundaries on my collecting and nothing has changed there.

How did Elyse's visit help you as a collector?

With all due respect, Elyse's visit did not help my collecting perspective.

here is the link -

http://www.syfy.com/collectionintervention/article/interviews/page/8

Hold on a minute there, are you saying a reality show on TV was in fact staged ! :o

What I think is funny is that Elyse seemed fairly educated about comics and her advice fairly decent.

When you have so many comics that there's no room for a dining room table and they just continue to expand and expand, then in my opinion you are letting it completely take over.

My wife's comment when watching the show was that the guy seemed like a d-bag. But my response was that unlike other reality shows, I thought this guy's real personality was out there and he wasn't hamming it up for the cameras. I wonder how his fiance felt about him "not really selling".

He sounded like most of the folks at conventions and I'm glad he loves his books. Like most collections, frankly, a quarter a book in bulk is pretty generous. Since they were bagged, boarded and complete, a quarter a book was probably right.