• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

So i go the call we all wait for ....

51 posts in this topic

Last week i was at a clients house "old house built in the 20's" and i said to her

"I dont want to creep you out but i have dreams about your basement"

I then explained i collect old books and comics and that is usually where you find them.

She said "Funny you should mention that since one of my friends just cleared their basement out an has a ton of that stuff." she then proceeds to hand me an adventure Pulp from the mid 30's that he had given her. I immediately gave her my home number to give to the guy. Well I just got off the phone with him and apparently he has "his words" a crate full of old pulp mags and the like.

I setup a meeting for tommarow night so we can go over what he has.....

My problem is i know nothing about pulps "which judging by the titles he was reading me over the phone is the majority of what he has"

Is there any serious interest in pulps or anywhere i can look up info on them for reference BEFORE i meet up with him?

lol comics of that nature are a given /wink. those WILL NOT escape my grasp :) im more worried about the books i dont know "I.E. pulps :)"

"oh and i will definitely be posting pics tommorow night Regardless of how the meeting goes"

Last week i was at a clients house "old house built in the 20's" and i said to her

"I dont want to creep you out but i have dreams about your basement"

I then explained i collect old books and comics and that is usually where you find them.

She said "Funny you should mention that since one of my friends just cleared their basement out an has a ton of that stuff." she then proceeds to hand me an adventure Pulp from the mid 30's that he had given her. I immediately gave her my home number to give to the guy. Well I just got off the phone with him and apparently he has "his words" a crate full of old pulp mags and the like.

I setup a meeting for tommarow night so we can go over what he has.....

My problem is i know nothing about pulps "which judging by the titles he was reading me over the phone is the majority of what he has"

Is there any serious interest in pulps or anywhere i can look up info on them for reference BEFORE i meet up with him?

Yes, there is serious collector interest. (thumbs u

Assuming this crate is just full of pulps, the Bookery Pulp Guide that Torch mentioned is a great place for researching ball-park values, although based on recent sales estimated values have probably gone north on some pulps since the last edition.

Another suggestion: if you have time, get photos and descriptons (overall appearance, inc. PQ) and post them here. You'll ratchet up interest in the collection and get good feedback on the values.

Pulps............

Weird Tales is a good title mostly from 1944 and earlier

Pulps with Edgar Rice Burroughs stories

Pulps with Robert E. Howard stories

Any pulp with the word spicy in the title......

Any pulp with Good Girl Art on the cover...

Torture covers

Just some general guide lines...............................................

And I do collect Pulps :)

Pulps............

Weird Tales is a good title mostly from 1944 and earlier

Pulps with Edgar Rice Burroughs stories

Pulps with Robert E. Howard stories

Any pulp with the word spicy in the title......

Any pulp with Good Girl Art on the cover...

Torture covers

Just some general guide lines...............................................

And I do collect Pulps :)

The list above is a good start. Right now, my Guide (7 years old) is most undervalued on detective pulps... they have risen the most over the years. Titles like Black Mask, Clues, Detective Novels, Dime Detective, Dime Mystery... well you get the idea. These are all in-demand titles, though prices vary widely depending upon cover art and content.

There is some demand for Western pulps, and there are a few hot issues out there (Robert E. Howard stories, Louis L'Amour aka Jim Mayo), but for the most part many western pulps can be had for $2 - $5. Romance and Railroad pulps are a tough sell.

The most common pulps are Argosy and Blue Book... but prices are all over the place on these depending upon the authors inside.

You are most likely to come across Science Fiction pulps... SF folks kept everything and there are plenty around. Most have great covers, but that doesn't mean they are real expensive... many 1940s issues can be had for $10 - $15 or less. But early Astoundings (by the publisher Clayton... their logo is a small blue banner in the corner) can be quite expensive. Large-format Amazing Stories (1920s) can be decent if in good condition.

Though down a bit in demand in recent years, you still can't go wrong with Hero pulps... The Shadow, Doc Savage, Phantom Detective, G-8, The Spider, etc.

Condition just like comics is key... however pulp collectors are less picky than their comic collecting counterparts. A pulp that you might grade "vg" by comic book standards is actually in pretty decent shape, and things like a little tape, creased corners, tannish pages, etc., are all quite acceptable in that grade. But nobody likes a pulp that is falling apart in their hands. Most pulps will flake a bit at the edges, but If you can't safely turn the pages and read it, it's probably not worth much, regardless of title.

WARNING: Be careful that what they have are true Pulp magazines. Many of the same titles continued into the Digest era... much smaller square-bound magazines with some of the same names... Astounding, Amazing Stories, Fantastic, etc. These have dropped significantly in demand, and except for some "keys", we sell most issues from 1950 onwards for $1 apiece in our Discount division.

Hope this helps... and if you do pick them up and are looking for a buyer..., well...

:cool:

(or you can always offer them here on the boards)

What i figured i would do is bring my camera with me tonight. I also have golden age bags and boards "not sure if they wil fit but can't hurt to bring them." Im meeting Him at 6 tonight and figured I would simply take pics of all the books he has. From there i can post them here on the forum and decide if i want to make an offer or If its total drek and not worth my time. you can can start looking for pics sometime after 7PM PST if all goes well.

What i figured i would do is bring my camera with me tonight. I also have golden age bags and boards "not sure if they wil fit but can't hurt to bring them." Im meeting Him at 6 tonight and figured I would simply take pics of all the books he has. From there i can post them here on the forum and decide if i want to make an offer or If its total drek and not worth my time. you can can start looking for pics sometime after 7PM PST if all goes well.

:popcorn:

+1

+1

:taptaptap:

I prefer silver or modern age boards with golden age bags for storing pulps.