• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DC new 52 "0" comics

38 posts in this topic

If I had some scanned I would post images of the previous 0 issues for DC at the end of the Zero Hour run. I Think I first purchased 2 sets from Mile High and later purchased a set at Costco. There were a couple of nice covers as i recall.

I did get a full 52 of this number 1's

I will get the 0's for the dozen or so series i am reading maybe a few others if they really look interesting.

0 as in we have nothing else to write about, but the number change makes it exciting (shrug)

no, 0 as in we're gonna tell stories about what happened in the year that passed from when dc restarted all the series and started over.

:facepalm:

don't be ashamed, now you know

Having recently entered the world of comic book retailing, I am continuously amazed at how our customer base consistently runs counter to the prevailing mood of the CGC boards.

We are doing sets of the '0' issues for £100 and have had an enthusiastic response. WD 100?, our customers loved 'em, Before Watchmen?, same. new 52? Yep. Marvel Now? They can't wait and are pre ordering like crazy.

I am encouraged to see so many collectors of both sexes and across the age range buying and collecting comics for the pure unadulterated fun if it.

I begin to wonder if these boards sometimes take these subjects too seriously. Thankfully not everyone cares if the book they buy today for entertainment will be a good financial investment or contains the meaning of life within it's pages.

It would appear that the CGC boards isn't the be all and end all of this hobby. who knew?

Having recently entered the world of comic book retailing, I am continuously amazed at how our customer base consistently runs counter to the prevailing mood of the CGC boards.

We are doing sets of the '0' issues for £100 and have had an enthusiastic response. WD 100?, our customers loved 'em, Before Watchmen?, same. new 52? Yep. Marvel Now? They can't wait and are pre ordering like crazy.

I am encouraged to see so many collectors of both sexes and across the age range buying and collecting comics for the pure unadulterated fun if it.

I begin to wonder if these boards sometimes take these subjects too seriously. Thankfully not everyone cares if the book they buy today for entertainment will be a good financial investment or contains the meaning of life within it's pages.

It would appear that the CGC boards isn't the be all and end all of this hobby. who knew?

I think the modern boards are way too crammed with threads and posts about value. Kinda sad. There are some great reads these days, but it seems that many (but not all, certainly) only care about turning a profit.

But it's good to hear that you're selling well and the the general collecting public are enjoying what's out there.

I think the modern boards are way too crammed with threads and posts about value. Kinda sad. There are some great reads these days, but it seems that many (but not all, certainly) only care about turning a profit.

But it's good to hear that you're selling well and the the general collecting public are enjoying what's out there.

I believe you two have perfectly summarized my concerns. Do I "collect" modern books sure, do I do it for profit though - NO!!! I read Batman, Detective and Batgirl for there storylines, the great writers and the art I do not expect any of these to have "real' value over time. Of course I will pick up a random "hot book" on occassion but only to give away, as I do with all my modern comics. I read them and give them to my nephew what he does with them is his chioce but he has become a fan. For investment purposes I and collect silver age and golden age comics.

(thumbs u

I believe you two have perfectly summarized my concerns. Do I "collect" modern books sure, do I do it for profit though - NO!!! I read Batman, Detective and Batgirl for there storylines, the great writers and the art I do not expect any of these to have "real' value over time. Of course I will pick up a random "hot book" on occassion but only to give away, as I do with all my modern comics. I read them and give them to my nephew what he does with them is his chioce but he has become a fan. For investment purposes I and collect silver age and golden age comics.

(thumbs u

This board is different then most modern comic board sections. CBR is a much reader friendly board IMO. There are alot of sellers here who in all honesty are only looking to flip books. They dont read or at least they dont care enough to talk about them at all unless it revolves around their sales or someone else's.(Occasionally I am one of them.) Keep in mind we are talking about collectors that incase their comics in plastic or at least alot of members here do . This is not a profoundly readers's forum at least in my opinion its not.

The mindset is different and more diverse. They are looking at registry sets, attaining the highest grades, looking for the rarest of books,(Ah the hunt for a tough book I love it.) and actively search for signature series books. All the above are not bad things in any way, but they tend to cost alot of money and that brings out the other side of our industry.

All that said their are some collectors on here that are still just readers as well I just think they are outnumbers by the other type of collectors. The board also gives alot of good reception to some books as well. No Place Like Home is a good example.

They are still several threads on here about different books they just dont always discuss the book itself, but more its print run, ability to grade highly or lack of, or some other odd characteristic of a book that might not be discussed in a more reader friendly medium. I am guilty of all the above just like others here are.

(thumbs u

This board is different then most modern comic board sections. CBR is a much reader friendly board IMO. There are alot of sellers here who in all honesty are only looking to flip books. They dont read or at least they dont care enough to talk about them at all unless it revolves around their sales or someone else's.(Occasionally I am one of them.) Keep in mind we are talking about collectors that incase their comics in plastic or at least alot of members here do . This is not a profoundly readers's forum at least in my opinion its not.

The mindset is different and more diverse. They are looking at registry sets, attaining the highest grades, looking for the rarest of books,(Ah the hunt for a tough book I love it.) and actively search for signature series books. All the above are not bad things in any way, but they tend to cost alot of money and that brings out the other side of our industry.

All that said their are some collectors on here that are still just readers as well I just think they are outnumbers by the other type of collectors. The board also gives alot of good reception to some books as well. No Place Like Home is a good example.

They are still several threads on here about different books they just dont always discuss the book itself, but more its print run, ability to grade highly or lack of, or some other odd characteristic of a book that might not be discussed in a more reader friendly medium. I am guilty of all the above just like others here are.

Don't get me wrong I do invest in comics, especially Silver and Golden Age but for the purposes of reading I strictly do that with the modern issues. I am not complaining in fact I appreciate all the "flip, sell, hot book, variant talk" Because not everyone has disposable income to buy alot of Golden and Silver Age stuff (especially keys) - I can't tell you how many rare variants my nephew has, and he has some good one's but what I'm doing is sharing a passion with a kid.

I collect Moderns and spend about $100 a month just on new issues that come out week after week. Not because I think they'll be worth a ton of money, but because I like them. I buy various series like Batman, Daredevil, Wonderland, Revival, and Idolized because I love the stories. I buy variant covers because I love the art or I just want to fully support the series. I never really intend to reslae, let alone for a big profit.

On the other hand, if a book comes out with a lot of steam behind it (Revival and Bedlam are examples), I will definitely pick up 2 or 3 extra copies to turn a little profit in the future.

I love comics for the art and the stories within them. I enjoy reading and I enjoy occasionally just thumbing through my collection. I know I'm in the minority here, but I for one am always interested when companies mix things up like the New 52 did and Marvel NOW! will do. I'm a collector at heart and I love the characters. For me, that's good enough.

I collect Moderns and spend about $100 a month just on new issues that come out week after week. Not because I think they'll be worth a ton of money, but because I like them. I buy various series like Batman, Daredevil, Wonderland, Revival, and Idolized because I love the stories. I buy variant covers because I love the art or I just want to fully support the series. I never really intend to reslae, let alone for a big profit.

On the other hand, if a book comes out with a lot of steam behind it (Revival and Bedlam are examples), I will definitely pick up 2 or 3 extra copies to turn a little profit in the future.

I love comics for the art and the stories within them. I enjoy reading and I enjoy occasionally just thumbing through my collection. I know I'm in the minority here, but I for one am always interested when companies mix things up like the New 52 did and Marvel NOW! will do. I'm a collector at heart and I love the characters. For me, that's good enough.

The next time someone makes a snobby post about moderns and those who read them, I'll point them in the direction of this post. Good for you. Continue to enjoy the hobby. :applause:

I liked a few of the Zero issues the first time, back in 1994.

Legends of the Dark Knight 0 is one of my favorite Batman stories ever.

I've not been reading the new 52. What's the hook with this round of zero issues?

As a side note, did anybody else notice the less than stellar quality of the paper that these New 52 0 issues were printed on? All the ones I picked up this week were noticeably thinner and "floppier" than the DC titles have been in previous months. I can't tell if it's just the outside cover that it making them this way, but I found all the copies of all the 0 issues at my LCS this week to be comprised of what felt like thinner paper. Random, I know, but the quality of the books was severely lacking as far as the paper used...